• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone have GOOD match grade AR varmint barrels in stock?

Ring

Rifle Instructor
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
Medina, Ohio
sites.google.com
20"
1/8
bull

high end.. shillen, LW, WOA, Kriger or similar..

i know a lot of cheep barrels shoot great, but im building for a friend...

Rainer is garbage......

For the money, WOA

Otherwise seek out a Lija or Krieger.

Why is Rainier garbage? I read a lot of good about them. I bought an 18" SPR ultra match that's a solid .75" and sometimes better barrel. I've shot a few <.5" but still working on load development. So far so good with the one I have. I only bought this one after we got 6 bad Kriegers. I took a chance on it, and left pretty beat down after the Krieger cluster.

Rainier is far from garbage.

Actually they are... long history of barrels not grouping and having to be returned over the years. They are a good outfit, but their barrels are hardy "match" or "ultra-match"

You can feel free to piss your money away on junk.............just don't except everyone else too.

Who gives a fuck if a couple are decent shooters, there is enough sample size with shitty barrels that they are not to be trusted. When your dropping $1.5k+ to build an AR, the barrel is the LAST thing you cheap out on. Its easily the most important component to any AR.

I had my WOA 18" varmint upper barrel with 1 in 7 twist full length fluted to save some weight. I tried to make a ladder test with Sierra 69 gr. Match Kings. After sighting in the scope with my 65 gr. hunting Game Kings I shot the first 5 shots in the ladder test and then I broke the leg on my chair which ruined the test. I took a picture of the 65 gr. 5 shot group at 100 yds. The group of the 69 gr. MKs was smaller. This was the first time I ever got anything from WOA.

Attachments

• 5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 10
Actually they are... long history of barrels not grouping and having to be returned over the years. They are a good outfit, but their barrels are hardy "match" or "ultra-match"

You can feel free to piss your money away on junk.............just don't except everyone else too.

Who gives a fuck if a couple are decent shooters, there is enough sample size with shitty barrels that they are not to be trusted. When your dropping $1.5k+ to build an AR, the barrel is the LAST thing you cheap out on. Its easily the most important component to any AR.

Shhhhh, don't let my Rainier bbl's hear you...they shoot great. Rainier Ultra Match bbl's are made by Shilen. Hardly junk by any stretch. Their customer service is awesome too.

So, between the kriger dcm and the 3 grove noveske, do we have a favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never seen a noveske barrel at a match, but I'd say half of the field has a krieger. The other common barrels are criterion, and then all of the ones that are based on air gauge Wilson blanks like white oak, Compass lake, etc.

So, between the kriger dcm and the 3 grove noveske " Pac Nor" , do we have a favorite?

both are the same price, but brownells is .75c shipping right now

Krieger- Pac Nor can make some great barrels and they normally shoot Lapua bullets very well because the bore is slightly small than industry standard but from what I have seen over the years Krieger barrels will have a straighter bore on average.

So, between the kriger dcm and the 3 grove noveske " Pac Nor" , do we have a favorite?

both are the same price, but brownells is .75c shipping right now

Either or. Its really a win win situation. My old Novekse 18" gun shoots less then MOA at 860 routinely. Kriegers are always on the line at DCM events and are winning alot. If it was my choice I would probably grab the Krieger.

we get any discounts from them?

As said Mil and Leo. The discount varies per item. Some items have 0 discount others have a deep discount. On this barrel the discount is $10. From $480 down to $470

The 18" one goes from 460 down to 440
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=956
I know... you said 20". Just saying. And its not exactly a bull barrel but Novekse's barrels are a heavier profile than standard.

ETA:
NM you ordered already. Didnt even see that post

Shhhhh, don't let my Rainier bbl's hear you...they shoot great. Rainier Ultra Match bbl's are made by Shilen. Hardly junk by any stretch. Their customer service is awesome too.

Thats a good thing.

When companies talk about how great the CS is.......its usualy beacuse you will be using it. Like that is some saving grace for putting out subpar products.

Vortex has great CS...........and its gets used ALOT
USO has great CS........... And it gets used ALOT
Kestral has shitty CS.........And it gets used ALOT
AI has decent CD.........And it does not get used Often
HK has Shitty CS.......And it does not get used often.
Barlien has good CS...... And it does not get used often

Personaly........I would rather stick with shitty CS that harldy ever gets used than Great CS that is a product of vast experince in dealing RMA's.

Krieger- Pac Nor can make some great barrels and they normally shoot Lapua bullets very well because the bore is slightly small than industry standard but from what I have seen over the years Krieger barrels will have a straighter bore on average.

Owned a pac nor blanked Noveske SPR barrel and built a few more on them.

For the money, they are not worth it. WOA shoots as good if not better with most factory match (69,75,77Gr SMK/Hornady HP) and for the price, you might as well get a Krieger..........especialy considering Noveske's race to the bottom in quality and attention to detail since John has passed.

im building it for a friend... pics when i start.. i figure parts will be here next week, hes dropping off the receiver today, i need to spray the upper and lower FDE and bake.. then lap the top receiver front

i got parts coming from 3 different places..

should be fully built by next thur. and ready for the weekend..

should match these when done

jD5dLYaouQEz1.jpg

jbdbkCRD0fpn5l.jpg

Looks good. Are you using a reaction rod or the brownells equivelent? If not grab one asap... will make the job alot easier and put less stress on the upper. Its also the only way to propperly install a muzzle device (if you got a threaded on) without torquing the upper/rail.

Just for the record-

I'm to understand that Rainier sources their barrels from various places. Their CHF "Mountain" barrels are from FN, their "Select" are from Black Hole Weaponry, and so on... I don't think it's fair to lump all Rainier barrels together in that context.

Looks good. Are you using a reaction rod or the brownells equivelent? If not grab one asap... will make the job alot easier and put less stress on the upper. Its also the only way to propperly install a muzzle device (if you got a threaded on) without torquing the upper/rail.

i have upper and lower vice blocks and well as a barrel vice

with those, you are putting torque on the barrel extension and pin, with a barrel vise, you arnt.... so why would that be "better"?

The extension is WHERE you want the torque. You cannot hurt it, as it is fully supported by the chamber groves.
There is a reason every competent builder has moved on to a Reaction Rod or similar device.

Its quicker, easier, and puts much less stress on the componets.

Geissele reaction rod

You will never do barrel work without one after using it.

I have Comp Lake, Lilja, WOA, BCM, Ranier and Larue among others. Frank at Comp Lake is GTG, WOA is top tier, Larue STEALTH is just solid. Ranier Ultra for the money is my choice because i love Shilen barrels. Ask me how i know, because i shoot Ranier Ultra and Grendel in Shilen. Hope this helps, by the way Ranier CS is unbeatable.

20"
1/8
bull

high end.. shillen, LW, WOA, Kriger or similar..

i know a lot of cheep barrels shoot great, but im building for a friend...

I just got off the phone with Jane at WOA and she said that they have about 6 of each of these: 1-309-376-2288

These are all varmint barrels:

18" come with gas block & gas tube because they are 1" shorter than the rifle length gas block barrels.
1 in 7" twist = $285
1 in 12" twist = $305

20" i in 7" twist with rifle length to put gas block for $285

24" 1 in 8" twist with rifle length to put gas block for $295

My new WOA 18" 1 in 7" twist complete upper shoots like this at 100 yds and smaller.

They charged me $100 more to flute the barrel.

Attachments

• new upper .JPG
    new upper .JPG
    394.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    5 shots less than .5 inch .png
    48.3 KB · Views: 16
  • WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    5 shots 65 gr. .JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'll second Cobracutter on the Rainier Barrels. I had one and it was garbage. I sent it back and got a Krieger. I wish I would've just stuck with my gut feeling initially and went with a reputable barrel company instead of doing that dick dance. There's two things I will never skimp on when it comes to a rifle: the barrel and the glass.

Owned a pac nor blanked Noveske SPR barrel and built a few more on them.

For the money, they are not worth it. WOA shoots as good if not better with most factory match (69,75,77Gr SMK/Hornady HP) and for the price, you might as well get a Krieger..........especialy considering Noveske's race to the bottom in quality and attention to detail since John has passed.

+1000

They aren't getting me anymore.

At one time Frank at Compass Lake made all of WOAs barrels, now WOA chambers and turns their own. I would buy a WOA barrel before I purchased another Compass Lake barrel.

At one time Frank at Compass Lake made all of WOAs barrels, now WOA chambers and turns their own. I would buy a WOA barrel before I purchased another Compass Lake barrel.

What's up with CLE that you won't buy their barrels over WOA? Just curious as I own both.

L

What's up with CLE that you won't buy their barrels over WOA? Just curious as I own both.

L
Just my opinion. CLE is doing too many barrels now and quality has gone downhill. I borescope every barrel so I can show you 47 out of 50 throats not concentric on the bore.
There is a way to keep it from happening, they just don't care if they're off and send them right out the door. QC plain and simple.

Interesting. Side note, my WOA barrel shoots great but I can't seem to find the right node for the CLE. Just got the Krieger/CLE in January so now you have me pondering what I actually got.

L

Interesting. Side note, my WOA barrel shoots great but I can't seem to find the right node for the CLE. Just got the Krieger/CLE in January so now you have me pondering what I actually got.

L
If your barrel wont shoot 24-24.5gr of RE15 with 69gr SMKs loaded to 2.28" there is something wrong with the barrel. It's widely known to be an accurate load, it has been my test load for nearly 20 years. Every barrel with a Wylde chamber will shoot it regardless of length of the barrel. Any cheap barrel should shoot it under 3/4". I've seen Krieger DCMs with 7.7 twist rate shoot 5 into .2" at 100 many times.

Just my opinion. CLE is doing too many barrels now and quality has gone downhill. I borescope every barrel so I can show you 47 out of 50 throats not concentric on the bore.
There is a way to keep it from happening, they just don't care if they're off and send them right out the door. QC plain and simple.

Yep I agree. We got 4 bad CLE barrels and 2 more that they told us were bad so they never sent them to us. We borescope them and 2 had obvious reamer marks/issues in the throats. This led me to believe things were not concentric. I would definitely buy WOA over them. It's a shame because I'm sure Frank is a wealth of knowledge and can do it right himself. I hate to see that happen to companies.

I'm giving it one more try this weekend but if I can't find it after almost a 1000 rounds I'm tearing it back down and doing something different. I attribute the first 500 to me learning the rifle but this is getting old quick. Thanks for the info. Don't have a scope so I'll just send it back and ask them to at least make sure I'm not chasing a ghost.

L

Last edited:
Wow! I would have flipped my shit alooooooong time ago. I've always found something good in the first 20 rounds. Your more of a trooper than I. Man I hope you find a good barrel.