• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Have Issues with Forster Dies?

Pathkiller

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2020
I was looking for a micrometer seater die and found plenty of recommendations for the Forster Ultra, seemed to check all the boxes so I ordered one.

Well, it arrived this afternoon. Looked okay straight out of the box but the threads were a bit rough running the lock ring, I put a bit of oil on and it smoothed up some. Started threading it into my press and it started getting tighter and tighter until about half way in it stopped, I had to tighten the ring and crank on it to get it out of the press.

My cheap Lee dies are smooth as butter, as is my Redding full length. I'm assuming this is not normal.

Attachments

• 2020110218460689-6577812979403375049-IMG_2691_heic-X2.jpg
    2020110218460689-6577812979403375049-IMG_2691_heic-X2.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 65
Odd. Hard to tell from the picture, but is there any finish wear on the threads? It is possible that the finish is a touch too thick, either on your press or the die or both.

It doesn't look overly thick just eyeballing it but honestly before oiling it I've felt smoother threading on Chinese garbage, after it's still rough but at least the ring will run up to the top.

All of my other dies are smooth as silk in my press so I don't think the issue is the press.

If it won't thread into your press fully, give Forster a call tomorrow. I'm sure they'll make it right.

Reactions: jstanker
Both of mine were the same way. Cleaned the threads a little, screwed in and out of the press a few times and all was good.

Both of mine were the same way. Cleaned the threads a little, screwed in and out of the press a few times and all was good.

This isn't a little snug, this is I could probably get it to seating if I lock the ring and put a long wrench on it.

I have quite a few Forster dies and have never had a problem. They are real good people to deal with. You will never get that kind of customer service from Redding. In fact I won't ever buy anything from Redding again. Give them a call.

Reactions: AllenOne1
Good to know, I shot them an email earlier and haven't heard anything back but we are in a difficult time so that's not a big deal. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

I've not run into the problem you mention, but I did have a FL sizer that was incredibly rough inside and made sizing a horrible experience. One call to customer service had the issue on its way to resolution. They're very good people to deal with and will take care of you

I have that die and am also having problems with it, but different problems. I am getting some crazy inconsistencies in seating depth, the stem is flared after about 50 rounds seated, and the spring makes a popping noise after seating. I've reached out to Forster (they were very responsive) and am about to send it back with some cases and bullets for them to test it with. After spending hours fighting with it, I found other complaints online with similar issues. I'm not here to pile on the company or anything. I'm sure they will make it right. I just want to give you a head's up for something to out look for.

I'll agree with other posters that the Forster full length sizing and micrometer seating dies have worked perfectly for me in a few different calibers, especially in the Forster Co-Ax Press. I wish I would have bought their equipment 50 years ago!

I have that die and am also having problems with it, but different problems. I am getting some crazy inconsistencies in seating depth, the stem is flared after about 50 rounds seated, and the spring makes a popping noise after seating. I've reached out to Forster (they were very responsive) and am about to send it back with some cases and bullets for them to test it with. After spending hours fighting with it, I found other complaints online with similar issues. I'm not here to pile on the company or anything. I'm sure they will make it right. I just want to give you a head's up for something to out look for.

Are you running a compressed load?
Only time I’ve had this issue with Forster Ultra seater is with mildly compressed load &/or when ogive profile is radically mismatched to inside profile of seater stem.

What cartridge and bullet are giving you issues?

Reactions: MCHOG and 6.5SH
Are you running a compressed load?
Only time I’ve had this issue with Forster Ultra seater is with mildly compressed load &/or when ogive profile is radically mismatched to inside profile of seater stem.

What cartridge and bullet are giving you issues?
That's a great question. I'm running 6.5 CM with 147 ELDMs with 41.4 gr of H4350. I don't think it's compressed, but I suppose I need to verify that.

That's a great question. I'm running 6.5 CM with 147 ELDMs with 41.4 gr of H4350. I don't think it's compressed, but I suppose I need to verify that.
Donut at neck / shoulder junction would be other possible cause.
Annealing necks?

Well I'll be damned. @FCS you called it. I'm compressing the load by 0.0575
I'm 0.40 off the lands, so it's not like I'm going deep. I guess it's time to make the switch to 140 ELDMs. I've been contemplating that for a while.

FWIW the issue I've seen with compressed loads and a Forster seater is a cracked stem. Which is unfortunate as the Forster stem seems to be the most forgiving on various ogive shapes and tip lengths.

Reactions: MCHOG
FWIW the issue I've seen with compressed loads and a Forster seater is a cracked stem. Which is unfortunate as the Forster stem seems to be the most forgiving on various ogive shapes and tip lengths.
Mine wasn’t cracked but it did flare and then the popping started, I guess they had some batches with softer metal or something but I explained it all to them and they just mailed me a new stem which has been fine for the last couple years.

Reactions: 6.5SH and MCHOG
What press are you threading it into? Could be tight threads on either the die or press. I run a MEC Marksmen and its a great press but I have found a few dies that thread into it very tight, this doesn't happen with my Redding press. Might be because the Marksmen threads are coated and the Redding's are not.

I've got 3 forster seating dies. 2 of the seating dies starting sticking, the small cup that touches the top of the bullet had expanded and would not fit through the hole in bullet cup resulting in the bullet being seated too deep.
I'm using the 2 dies with berger and hornady bullets so it's not just one make of bullet doing it. Both dies have seated around 2000 bullets. I've turned to outside of the cup down with some wet and dry and they work again.
You've treated the symptom but not addressed the root cause.
Problem will most likely resurface until the root cause is addressed.

Reactions: Marshall D. Teach
As Spife noted a few posts up, get in touch with them. They are indeed known to fix issues. Spife stated they sent him new seating stems.

Does anybody’s die make a weird springing noise after you clean it? Happens after you seat the butler and are pulling the casing out of the die. Goes away after awhile but it does seem odd.

Does anybody’s die make a weird springing noise after you clean it? Happens after you seat the butler and are pulling the casing out of the die. Goes away after awhile but it does seem odd.
Yeah, it’s the stem sticking in the bullet. Could be a symptom of a clacked or swayed seating stem (had them replace mine once diagnosed) or you could just stop cleaning it and if it stops no issue. You could also try backing the die body out a turn or two and see if that helps.

Well I'll be damned. @FCS you called it. I'm compressing the load by 0.0575
I'm 0.40 off the lands, so it's not like I'm going deep. I guess it's time to make the switch to 140 ELDMs. I've been contemplating that for a while.

Definitely not from a compressed load as I was loading a dummy round w no powder. But yeah I’m think it makes sense that the seating stem is just too clean and the bullet is sticking then once it gets a little dirty it stops.