• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have pet insurance?

Bradu

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
IL
My dog is probably to old to qualify for it but I was just wondering about it for future dogs. The reason I ask is we just had a pretty good size vet bill and it got me thinking about it since we insure everything else including guns. I didn't think twice about depleting my rifle fund to take care of her because she still in decent health.

Yeah. We got it too late to do anything about recurring bills because of her epilepsy, but it paid for itself on surgeries and procedures.

Definitely something to think about, my dog means alot to me. Never knew there was such a thing. If he needed medical attention I would treat him like family and do what's needed. I will look into that, thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: Bradu
I believe Met Life offers pet insurance (Not the most 2A friendly Company) your vet should have info.

Yeah. We got it too late to do anything about recurring bills because of her epilepsy, but it paid for itself on surgeries and procedures.

I never really thought about it until today and I hate the thought of putting down a pet because I can't afford to pay the bills.

Definitely something to think about, my dog means alot to me. Never knew there was such a thing. If he needed medical attention I would treat him like family and do what's needed. I will look into that, thanks for the heads up.

I never gave it a thought but the last couple years have really added up. I don't know how much it is or how much it covers but it has to be better than nothing. It was a pretty emotional couple days because they said with her heart murmur that she might not make it being put under. I'm don't care about very many things but she is family as you said.

I wish I had done it. I love my 5 yr old pit like he was my son, and as such he gets medical care when he needs it. Which in 5 years has exceeded ten thousand dollars. Between his normal shots, neutering, allergies requiring monthly immuneotherapy, and getting his ACL repaired last fall.

not insurance but cheap and an option
1521262439778.png

We use Credit Care. They give you up to 2 years to pay it off with no interest. No price cut since it's basically a credit card, but we have only needed it for emergencies.

Reactions: DuneBoer
Fuck you, she just died. I would love to see you say that to my face. I can assure you one of us wouldn't be walking away

I'm sorry for your loss. My wife and I had to go through this recently and it was and is terrible. We paid a great deal to have a vet come to the house and euthanize our little buddy after he totally lost the use of his back legs. As he got older, he didn't like being in the car any more and neither of us could stand the idea of his last hours being spent doing something that made him more uncomfortable. So we sat with him on the couch and let him eat his favorite snacks all the way till the end. My wife got him when he was a pup and we were still in high school. He made it to the ripe old age of 17.

I feel more for dogs than I do for a lot of humans, and Jerry just reaffirmed why. For all the hateful and inflammatory shit I've seen you post over time, that one takes the cake. And you can save your witty reply. You finally touched on the one thing that made me hit that ignore button. Cheap option. Joke or not, that's just low down on a new level, even for you. Maybe this new hide will start a petition to ban thread.

Thanks guys, she was doing fine and then last night she was having a lot of trouble breathing and didn't even respond when we talked to her. She just had a blank stare so we went in and they tried to help but she had fluid on the lungs and I think the anesthesia was too much for her heart to take. My wife is a mess but I can't say I'm a whole lot better. I was pretty attached to my lab growing up but this little girl meant the world to us. I'm just glad she isn't suffering and now I have to get my wife through this.

I don't fake who I am nor do I share fake empathy just to cooo and make someone feel better, I leave that to the chicks around the wine bottle. If you are offended , well too bad, I love my dog but he is a dog, I would not spend a lot o money getting him fixed for another few months or spend money on insurance. Its just a pet. If you feel different I don't care.

I use VCA for my critters and they offer insurance. I have thought about getting it but am blessed to be able to afford whatever my animals need. If it knew about the coverage when mine were younger I probably would have gotten it.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me about web boards is the level of insensitivity that people exhibit. Instead of not saying something inflammatory some people have to chime in and derail discussions and make people angry. Sometimes it is best not to say anything at all.

Damn, I wish I had dental insurance...Fucking dentists make doctors look cheap. theyve gotten far out of control.

Dental insurance can also be a problem because of the oral surgery caps.

Sorry to hear, Bradu. You should take comfort in knowing you gave her the best home possible, and did everything within your power to help her.

Mwalex, exactly.

Reactions: Mwalex
Thanks guys, she was doing fine and then last night she was having a lot of trouble breathing and didn't even respond when we talked to her. She just had a blank stare so we went in and they tried to help but she had fluid on the lungs and I think the anesthesia was too much for her heart to take. My wife is a mess but I can't say I'm a whole lot better. I was pretty attached to my lab growing up but this little girl meant the world to us. I'm just glad she isn't suffering and now I have to get my wife through this.
Hate to hear that, sorry for your loss

I don't fake who I am nor do I share fake empathy just to cooo and make someone feel better, I leave that to the chicks around the wine bottle. If you are offended , well too bad, I love my dog but he is a dog, I would not spend a lot o money getting him fixed for another few months or spend money on insurance. Its just a pet. If you feel different I don't care.

Take your irrelevant faggotry out of this thread. No one gives a shit how "tough" you are. Go choke on a giant dick.

Just because you are such a self proclaimed "tough guy" doesn't mean you can come in and shit on someone who lost something close to them.

I doubt a giant dick would come close to tickling armyjerry's gag reflex. His post was just a complete and utter bullshit contribution to this thread.

Certain pets I can see the value. Large breed dogs like Great danes health care isn't cheap. Most pets I'm not sure you save money. Sorta russian roulette. You may yet may not.

Not completely on point, but somewhat related;

When we were younger, my wife and I had Newfoundlands. The breed are wonderful dogs. We got our first from a local kennel, who had connections to another breeder back east. As we understood, the breeder back east desired to continue the bloodlines of the famous "Dory O" kennels out of Newfoundland. Seemed like a noble cause, but as it turned out, the breeder back east was just another money grubbing scheister lawyer that was primarily in it for the money. Anyway, both breeders got back in touch with us when our Newfie was about four years old and wanted to breed him. OK, so we were requested to take him to the vet for OFA hip X-Rays as part of the documentation of the breeding/bloodline process. Our Newfie weighed 175 pounds. The anesthesia dosage charts only went to 50 or 60 pounds. So what does the vet do ? He simply "tripled the dose" and promptly killed our dog.

Large breeds do not have to have that much anesthesia. I have been told that our dog should have been given only about 1.5X the amount that would be used for a 60 (or so) pound dog. If you have a big breed, you take him/her to the vet, please make sure your vet is up to speed on the subject of anesthesia for big breeds. We were not and were heartbroken.

I use Embrace pet insurance. I've got the full package that covers wellness, dental, etc. I never considered insurance on a pet, but after getting one that could potentially save my life, I thought it would be the least I could do for her.
I also have mortality insurance through Hartford on her that covers death and loss of use. This is something I carried on my roping horses in the past and after spending more on a Protection K9 than I ever did on horses, it seemed like a good idea.
I consider my Belgian Malinois as more than a pet, but the training cost/time isn't for the faint of heart. It takes a tremendous amount of time.

Were you able to get that vet's license pulled?

Not something we pursued....Accident on his part and nothing was going to bring our companion back. I think the Vet felt worse than we did. We're not litigious/vindictive by our nature. At the time, we were more concerned about the sleaze-bag lawyer stealing our dog from the back yard.

My post was in the interest of potentially helping others avoid the same situation as what we went through.

After my dog got impaled running through the woods, my Farmers agent recommended PetsBest. I have their "catastrophic" coverage; no yearly limit, 90% reimbursement, and $200 deductible. For $30 a month, it gives me piece of mind and I don't hold her back when we go hiking though the woods.

20170602_120228_1496441679254_resized.jpg

A friend of ours had pet insurance on her French bulldog, of course it doesn’t cover the allergy medication that the dog needs. I think insurance it a 50/50 gamble, you might come out ahead and you might not.

For me, at the end of the day they are just dogs. I’m not putting more in one than what it cost to buy a new one. There are mutts everywhere for free.

After my dog got impaled running through the woods, my Farmers agent recommended PetsBest. I have their "catastrophic" coverage; no yearly limit, 90% reimbursement, and $200 deductible. For $30 a month, it gives me piece of mind and I don't hold her back when we go hiking though the woods.

View attachment 6885535
Man , just looked at the pic. Glad things came out ok. At least that's how I read it? Hope I wasn't wrong!

Sorry for your loss, my dogs are like my children and I did extensive reaserch and went with nationwide pet insurance. Each insurance company has different plans but nationwide was one of the few who offer a whole pet plan that includes wellness and covers anything we take them in for and not just trauma accidents. The catch is to get it when there a pup and get a clean bill of health so in the future there’s nothing that wont be covered. They cover everything and I mean every single visit for whatever reason! Depending on breed the monthly price varies but well worth the value as long as you take advantage of the plan.

Sorry for your loss! We use ASPCA Isuspect your vet has pamphlets it has paid for its self every year across 3 separate boxers over the past 12 years

Man , just looked at the pic. Glad things came out ok. At least that's how I read it? Hope I wasn't wrong!
Yes, once it was out, she was fully healed in 3 weeks. On one hand, we were lucky, it went into her shoulder but didn't enter the thoracic cage. We were unlucky in that the original emergency vet missed that stick -that picture was taken months later at another vet hospital.