• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have recent experience with Lothar Walther barrels?

Leicafan1990

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2022
USA
Anyone recently purchase a barrel from Lothar Walther? They used to be mentioned fairly frequently a few years ago but I don’t hear much about them anymore. I was curious why that is. If I’m remembering correctly, they were pretty well regarded for their accuracy.

Anyone recently purchase a barrel from Lothar Walther? They used to be mentioned fairly frequently a few years ago but I don’t hear much about them anymore. I was curious why that is. If I’m remembering correctly, they were pretty well regarded for their accuracy.

They used to have a pretty high regard when LaRue used them but recently I had a couple of his barrels examined by CLE and they had signs of erosion and pitting and one of them had several spots where the rifling was non-existent and these are all brand new barrels that were pulled from OBRs.

I replaced a LW on my Armalite last year with another LW. I haven't had a lot of time to shoot it but it's starting to break in some. That first barrel was simply amazing, if this barrel shoots half as well I will be very happy.

this is a very old picture of what the old barrel did regularly…..

FCBE8A64-92E3-45EA-9CC0-9EDC1CA04301.jpeg

Last edited:
My Lothar Walther barreled AR-15 has more than 3,550rounds fired through it. The 10-shot control group that I fired using hand-loads topped with the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing, for my M855A1 evaluation, had an extreme spread of 0.56".

77_smk_10_shot_group_lothar_walther_barr-2423064.jpg

A recent picture of the gas port . . .

gas_port_erision_021b-2473011.jpg

Reactions: Dirty D and Jsp556
My Lothar Walther barreled AR-15 has more than 3,550rounds fired through it. The 10-shot control group that I fired using hand-loads topped with the 77 grain Sierra MatchKing, for my M855A1 evaluation, had an extreme spread of 0.56".

If you want I'll send you one of those OBR barrels and you can check it out.

I've heard things about their steel being harder. My buddy had a lothar Walther pre fit put on his rem 700 in 308. He had the action trued when he had the barrel put on. We brought it out broke it in and sighted it in. 1st 5 shot group was just over a 1/4 inch. Went back to 400 and shot a 5 shot 1.5 inch group. We were impressed. This was all with the 1st hand load we put together.

Impressive results. When did you purchase this barrel from LW USA?

I have 2 LW light Palmas for nrl hunter. Shoot as well as anything else I've had chambered

They used to have a pretty high regard when LaRue used them but recently I had a couple of his barrels examined by CLE and they had signs of erosion and pitting and one of them had several spots where the rifling was non-existent and these are all brand new barrels that were pulled from OBRs.
When you refer to “his barrels” if you are referring to LaRue they now make their own barrels in house and are not using LW barrels.

When you refer to “his barrels” if you are referring to LaRue they now make their own barrels in house and are not using LW barrels.

No I'm talking about the old LaRue barrels that were made out of the LW-50 blanks. I don't fault LW, knowing LaRue he probably knew these barrels were rejects but sent them on down the line anyway.

But this my only experience with LW,.

Last edited:
My LaRue LW barreled OBR is a Laser. My PredtOBR with LaRue barrel not as accurate.

Last edited: