• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone have the new Swaro Compact 17-40x spotters?

A while back I was super interested in them, I did alot of YouTube and found a video where they put numerous scopes head to head and it was enough to hold off on getting one. I have the Swaro BTX and unless they are near that image quality, I will pass. Draw your own conclusions tho, everyone is different.

no personal experience with one but totally agree with Travis224 I run the BTX and image quality is superb compared to any compact single eyepiece spotter. I did run the compact Kowa Prominar but found it absolutely a waste compared to my BTX and 12x42 NL Pure Binos.

I spotted this bull with the Pures over 2 miles away and didn’t require a spotter to decide he was a keeper.

Other critters at that range definitely call for the BTX to make a determination

A quick snap with phone through my 12x42 on bull a mile off before intercepting him…

DD1D83E3-4908-4093-94FA-CBD641D925BC.jpeg

Reactions: Travis224
I too have a set of NL Pure 12x, they are incredible! I was worried the price vs performance wasn't justified, but that went away immediately after looking thru them

Last edited:
I took have a set of NL Pure 12x, they are incredible! I was worried the price vs performance wasn't justified, but that went away immediately after looking thru them
100% on the 12 Pures

I glass, glass and glass. If I see something that I cannot quite define with the 12’s, say in the timber on the side of a mountain 1-3 miles out I just through up the BTX. My success rate of finding an ear/antler or elk butt color has grown exponentially by correct glassing. My instructor was Jaret Owens, inventor of the AGC Bino packs.

0028FCD1-E046-4A05-AED2-561890979B05.jpeg

8AAC3EBC-5879-433C-AED0-C5E03AF895BF.jpeg

Yea i don't think you can really compare a compact spotter to the BTX. Thats kind of like comparing a a 6.5 creedmore to a .338 Lapua.

The market for the compact spotter is someone looking for super light weight. You do bring up an intriguing question. If your back backing in and weight was your primary concern would you rather have a compact spotter or 12x NL purse?

For those of you running the 12 x pure's are you using them hand held and on a tripod or tripod only. I feel like that 12-15 X is where a tripod is required but i have not looked through a set of pures yet.

Yea i don't think you can really compare a compact spotter to the BTX. Thats kind of like comparing a a 6.5 creedmore to a .338 Lapua.

The market for the compact spotter is someone looking for super light weight. You do bring up an intriguing question. If your back backing in and weight was your primary concern would you rather have a compact spotter or 12x NL purse?

For those of you running the 12 x pure's are you using them hand held and on a tripod or tripod only. I feel like that 12-15 X is where a tripod is required but i have not looked through a set of pures yet.
i run 12x42 nl pures

handheld with forehead rest when necessary works fine

but tripod with outdoorsmans mount is ideal

i likely wouldnt trade them for a compact spotter. but a BTX i'd add for sure

I run my 12x42 NL’s offhand 95% of the time, they work great offhand. Tried the forehead rest but it’s a little janky and is in the way when I do throw them on the tripod.

I too am interested in an STC for a lightweight spotter but I feel they won’t fill a void large enough to justify the price. The NL12’s are just amazing all around glass. I stopped carrying my EL 8.5’s entirely.

I have the RRS arca mount on mine. I would straight use the Pures for backpacking to save weight and reduce eye strain. They are a new design and are very easy to hold too

I run 10x EL swaros and have the 17-40 spotter. I hate big heavy spotters and this thing is tiny. I use it in conjunction with the MagView magnetic flip cap so I can magnet my phone on there and zoom in that way also. Easily doubles the mag when using optical zoom on my phone. I can't stand looking through a single eye piece on a traditional spotter for more then 5 minutes so I went this route specifically with my phone to act as additional magnification. I can see most everything with my binos and will take out the spotter and mount my phone on it only if needed or to video through the spotter. Typically I don't carry a spotter but thought this setup was a good compromise if I needed the extra magnification in conjunction with my phone, while maintaining weight savings.

I would buy it again. Nice little high country pack it in with you spotter. Just know what it is and don't expect it to be something else. I pair it with the RRS Arca base and 14L Tripod.

Reactions: DetroitRearView