• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone having OAL issues with .338 lap 700 P MLR ?

Aimsmall55

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Madison, Ms
I just recently purchased a .338 Lapua Magnum 700 P MLR and reloaded all kinds of different recipes for the 250 and 300 smk. My first shot was wayyyy below max for the 250 and the overpressure was intense! I put those away and proceeded to start with another load. Again overpressure....(slightly sticky bolt, EJECTOR marks although no split necks or separation of anykind on the casing it's self. Well I decided to do an oal test and found that my throat is SHORT. About 3.495 to 3.525 to be an estimated guess. My question is how do I go about reloading meaning do I load them shy of my lands and decrease powder charge or do I increase powder charge? I have never experienced anything like this. I believe the minimum oal is somewhere around 3.6??.. but anyways I would love to hear some opinions as to what and how to solve this problem and still achieve velocity and accuracy. Thanks, aimsmall

Re: Anyone having OAL issues with .338 lap 700 P MLR ?

I have the same weapon and i'm short at 3.660. I would call Remington and ask them..they may have you send it back cause I would say thats way below specs for that rifle.

With your loaded 250's and 300's what actual length to the lands are you getting loaded to mag length? I've got the same rifle and whilst the throat is short I can load to mag length without any issues and just for your ref I've loaded N570 and H1000 to book max and beyond without any serious pressure signs. If you are loading to mag length and the bullet is in the lands you need to talk to Remington.

Or you can scrap that factory barrel and have a good quality barrel like a Hart, Lilja, Broughton, etc. put on it and you will have a much more consistent and accurate rifle that will make shooting your 338Lap alot more enjoyable.

Factory barrels are a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a decent one and sometimes you don't. With a custom barrel you will not only get a MUCH higher quality barrel but you will get a better chamber that can be cut to get maximum benefit/s from whichever bullet/s you decide to shoot.

There is no substitue for a good quality barrel and the factory barrel is anything but good quality.

Contacted Remington. Shipping it back. Loaded 3 dummy rounds and marker tested them. At 3.600" oal I am still about 1/16 " shy! Chambered each round 5 times with same result..... Rifling marks & a circular ring (lands) Boy am I glad I have the know how of what to look for otherwise I might have to have somebody to post for me! At 90 grains ofh1000 I realized there was a big problem. Does anyone think that Remington will just replace the whole barrel & action considering it is so fubar'd?

Glad you have identified the problem, I'm sure Remington will take care of you - let us know what they decide to do.

Well instead of sending it back to Remington , I decided to send it to my gunsmith Billy Tierce whom has done some great tune ups and upgrades for me in the past. Diagnosis: 1) the chambers dimensions were actually lop sided meaning it had more metal in some places and less in others. 2) freebore was veerryy short. 3) ejector pin was way too weak. 4) firing pin was cocked too strong. So I had him re-ream the chamber and true the whole action as much as he could. He also put new springs in firing pin and ejector. Now it shoots like a dream. I found my load at 100 yds. Chronyd a few of them , jbm'd the data and shot a 3.7 " group at 520 yards. Thanks Billy. Shame on Remington. I know exactly what happened. My gun was one of the last for that particular cutting blade and instead of changing reamers ect... They decided that they would save a few dollars and push it a little longer. Remington nowadays is like tossing a quarter. Some shoot, some don't. Buy a sako

you are using a large bore case with slow burning powder. being way under max on your loads is a dangerous thing. In a small case light loads are ok or better with the faster burning powders.

BUT you are using a slow burning powder.. a load below MIN is a recipy for DETANATION. thus sticky bolt createring brass flow into ejector.

NEVER and I mean NEVER in a Magnum load below the min....

I don't understand. I'm 1 grain under max. 89 grains of Ramshot magnum. Max is 90 for 300 smk. What made you think I was shooting too low a charge.

My first shot was wayyyy below max for the 250 and the overpressure was intense! I put those away and proceeded to start with another load. Again overpressure....(slightly sticky bolt, EJECTOR marks although no split necks or separation of anykind on the casing it's self.