• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here done business w/ Texas Brigade Armory?

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Ok, let me first say I've searched the archives and only found 1 thread about TBA, so if this question comes up a lot and I missed it, I apologize.

I want to place an order with TBA for a USMC M40A3 rifle. The only thread I found was from a member here who was quoted a few months for a .22 M40, and ended up waiting 3 years for his rifle. Is this the norm and what I can expect from TBA? I don't mind waiting 6 months, or even a year, but 3 years is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. I know about the other smiths out there like GAP, but I really have my mind set on this particular rifle.

I'd appreciate input from anybody here who has done business with TBA.

Thanks,

J2T

Re: Anyone here done business w/ Texas Brigade Armory?

Mike Lau does excellent work, but you have to wait a little while for it. 3 years is not the norm, unless things have changes lately. A year is probably closer to normal, but Mike should be able to let you know better than anyone else. He is sometimes hard to get in touch with though.

I would recommend TBA to anyone who doesn't mind a wait. If someone is in a hurry, I would look elsewhere. I personally am more comfortable with shops that are basically one-man operations, than I am with shops that pump out high volumes of rifles quickly. You know who is building your rifle and know it will be done right.

Military 1st, LE 2nd, civvies back of the line. Very long lead times would not be uncommon if you fall into group 3.

I would go with another gunsmith.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Military 1st, LE 2nd, civvies back of the line. Very long lead times would not be uncommon if you fall into group 3. </div></div>
And the end result has been well worth the wait, twice so far. I was just in Mingus,TX. on tuesday checking on progress on my third. Mike hs had the parts, stock,barrel,action,and bottom metal since July. It was bedded in my A3 and needs cleaning up and finish applied. This is a Rem 700 in 6XC with a loooong barrel for more velocity. I guarantee it will be worth my wait.LOL......

Re: Anyone here done business w/ Texas Brigade Arm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy2Times</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, let me first say I've searched the archives and only found 1 thread about TBA, so if this question comes up a lot and I missed it, I apologize.

I want to place an order with TBA for a USMC M40A3 rifle. The only thread I found was from a member here who was quoted a few months for a .22 M40, and ended up waiting 3 years for his rifle. Is this the norm and what I can expect from TBA? I don't mind waiting 6 months, or even a year, but 3 years is a bit of a tough pill to swallow. I know about the other smiths out there like GAP, but I really have my mind set on this particular rifle.

I'd appreciate input from anybody here who has done business with TBA.

Thanks,

J2T </div></div>

His rifles are excellent. His wait times suck, but 3 years might have been an exaggeration or at least an anomaly.. My 2 rifles by: one took 9 months the other took 19 months.

Re: Anyone here done business w/ Texas Brigade Arm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with another gunsmith.

Cut </div></div>

Not to get into a pissing match, but care to elaborate?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with another gunsmith.

Cut </div></div>
I am just wondering if you own a TBA rifle and what you base your opinion on? IMHO, the best have the longest wait times. Call Terry Cross and see what his wait time is. Terry told me to send my USMC return stock and components to GAP for the build but I went with TBA because I can drive to Mikes shop in around two hours. If you ever get a chance to go there, you will see why it takes time for your build. I have been there many times, even sundays, and not one time has Mike not been hard at work on someones rifle! Well, there was one sunday that he was out back shooting a pre 64 Winchester in 22 Hornet. hehehehe

I have one of Mike's M40A1 rifles. And while it is not a true "spec" rifle it shoots beautiful. The finish and workmanship are excellent, and damn that rifle shoots! It is a long wait though.

I do have a TBA rifle. I had Mike build me a M40a3 in .300 Win Mag a long time ago. The rifle shoots extremely well. No issue there.

My complaint about dealing with TBA was getting excuse after excuse about when my rifle would be ready. This was my first custom rifle. I knew there was going to be a wait time.

Well after said time was up and still no rifle, I starting calling to find out. If you had someone answer the phone, which was not all that often, I was told "almost done, needs some touching up, should be out in 2 weeks."

So that goes on for about 6 more weeks. No rifle. Calling started again. This time they started screening calls. And the only way the phone would be answered was if they thought they were going to get more money out of me.

Still no rifle, This is close to 2 years now on a 9 to 12 month time frame. Finally I had enough of the excuses and the next time Mike answered the phone I told him done or not to refund the unfinished work on my rifle and ship it to me.

About 3 weeks later I got my rifle. The barrel had busted a hole in the plastic rifle case it was shipped in. The stock had a forearm rail, which I had ordered, but it was made out of what appeared to be scraps. The rail is made out of 2 pieces of material.

I have never been disgusted with any firearm purchase except this one. If I do a custom anything from now on, it will be here in North Carolina where I can drive to it and check on its progress or lack there of.

This was about 12 years ago, so hopefully things have gotten better for Mike and TBA. I still will not recommend them for rifle work.

Cut

I had a rifle built by TBA approx 12 months ago(shot great) and it just came back from GA precision(finish work)last month. GA is slow(8 months) but they due great work.

Yes
TBA is no1. I usually wait about 2 years. But big deal the wait is worth it. MY rifle will shoot the sierra 190 grain inti a group that measures .175 all day long I have engaged target out to 1400yards. The rifle never fails me. I have ordered two more ,one in .308 the other in .300WM. If you want the best buy a TBA.

Okay what the f*** guys.....the damn thread is over a year and 3 months old!

google is your best friend