• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here from Columbia/Charleston SC?

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
Would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on living/working/commuting/shooting/raising kids in those areas.

Feel free to PM as well if you'd rather not post on a public forum.

Thanks all!

Columbia has a great range for uspsa and regular shooting. Mid carolina rifle club. The uspsa match is top notch. There is a nice range near Charleston, i think it is PGG but i may be wrong. Have a feiend who is a member there and likes it.

Would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on living/working/commuting/shooting/raising kids in those areas.

Feel free to PM as well if you'd rather not post on a public forum.

Thanks all!
It's been a while, but Summerville, SC is the best place I've ever lived. I was by myself when I lived there and don't know much about their school system, but taught high school students and teachers in nearby (and more rural) Goose Creek to scuba dive and was impressed with the quality of the kids, teachers and parents. I had a nice apartment in Summerville that was really inexpensive. I was ready to buy a place on Wadmalaw Island when my current lady persuaded me to move to PA with her.

I was at a council meeting in Summerville when we were looking for a permit to expand

the dive shop I worked with, and Target had already received permits and had begun earthwork activities for a store on the edge of developed area near the interstate. It was close to the town's water tower. A Target exec and a lawyer were at the meeting and pitched what they believed was a deal the town couldn't refuse - they paint their logo on the town's water tower and agree to maintain the water tower painting for a period of time I don't remember, even if they closed the store and repainted the town's name on it. Maintenance of water tower painting is expensive, and I have to admit that the deal sounded good to me. Imagine a council member with a slow southern drawl saying "So y'all want to paint a target on our water tower?" while aiming a forefinger and thumb gun. The whole place busted out laughing, and the proposal was immediately voted down. The sites were adjacent to hundreds of acres of open land with dirt roads where shooting, screwing, drinking and whatever took place. A quick look at google maps tells me that some of that area is being developed now. Since I don't work in Summerville or Goose Creek anymore, I would look at one of the more rural islands if the woman here became intolerable. With school age kids, I would look at rural property in the Goose Creek school area, but I suggest that you go to the area, look around and talk to people.

I always considered Columbia to be a slum, but there are rural areas near there that may be acceptable. I fell in love with the coastal low country.

I live in Rock Hill and love SC. Charleston and Charleston proper has become crazy with influx of people.

I live in Charleston and love it. Good community, nice people. Food is off the charts. The economy and job market are booming.
Palmetto gun club has an 800 yd range.

The city of columbia is like every other big city (not as bad as some). The areas around Columbia, Lexington, Irmo, Chapin, Ballentine, ect... are nice, but Chapin is where I'd go if I was moving around there to raise kids. On the Lake and it's good old folks... top notch schools . Lex dist 5 is a really good school system, which. Chapin is in.

Reactions: Biggie1976