• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here hunt with a 308 AR?

Re: Anyone here hunt with a 308 AR?

ive done it with dpms lr308t and works well. make sure you get a good flash suppressor for nvd's though

I do and it is an EXCELLENT platform for hunting IMO.

I have not done any hog hunting (just haven't had the opportunity) but it is FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC for deer, yotes (and other general nuisance critters), etc. Plenty of punch with a variety of different ammo to make ethical, 1-round kills on deer-size game even at extended ranges (just make sure you have good dope and are comfortable making the shot before you take it) all while giving you a fairly lightweight/portable platform.

Armalite and other companies are specifically marketing 16" 7.62 "Varmint Hunter" type carbines just for the purpose of hog hunting, etc.

The only "reservations" I can give you are: 1) be sure it is legal in your area (not just state) to hunt with a semi-auto, centerfire rifle; and 2) you may need to pick up some 5-round magazines (again...depending on the laws/regs in your area).

I'm going to do it with a 20" POF308 and Burris XTR 6-24 with a Burkett offset mount and Docter optic red dot. It will be heavy but I don't hike through the hills and mountains. I ride my mountain bike to most of my stands so I usually don't have too far to tote a gun. It's pretty flat here. Sometimes I stalk pigs in swamp areas but I pack light so a 14-17 # gun won't kill me, especially with a good sling. If I were just going to use it for stalking and still hunting though I would go lighter, shorter and use a smaller scope.

Thanks guys. The rifle I was thinking of would look like:

matentroydimple011ss.jpg

A pic I found on another forum while googling about the handguards I want to use. I'm thinking I want something like that, the only problem is I don't know if I'll want the extra velocity of a 20" (the barrel I'm using a 20" is only a half pound more and my gunsmith can flute it to take some weight off). Whatever I do I know that I've had my fill of heavy guns and want it to be around 9lbs before scope.

edit: basically I have a 308 carbine buffer+spring, TM308 lower, DPMS 308 BCG, and a DPMS 308 upper, YHM 308 flash hider and I'm trying to fill in the blanks without breaking the bank.

I have yet to hunt with my LMT but can't wait for the opportunity to do so.

A good consideration for a hunting setup could be the Larue PredatAR. Their "lightweight" OBR with thinner bbl profile, Geissele Trigger and standard rail height. If I didn't already have my LMT, it would be my choice for a hunting rig.

I have shot a white tail deer with my DPMS LR-308 and it is a good rifle I think for hunting. I would go with the 18" barrel if I were you.

The rifle in my signature is what I will be hunting hogs,deer and yotes with. Although the jury is still out on whether the NF scope will be still on it when the season rolls around. No restrictions on semi auto or magazine capacity where I hunt.

I have used my Armalite AR10A4 since the early 90's but in 20 inch. It's worked well for all those animals. I've taken many pigs outside of Livermore and Ventana wilderness area all within 200 yards though. But please check with local regulations, I've heard some stories that it's illegal to hunt on some Califonria properties with California assult weapons, registered or not. But they were just stories, I don't know for sure. I've been hunting out of state the last few times I've used my AR platform.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have used my Armlite carbine 16" the last ten years in Michigan works good on deer.

I bought one in Jan for Elk (Also for punching paper), got a couple 5 round LR PMAG through MidwestPX to get me Colorado legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought one in Jan for Elk (Also for punching paper), got a couple 5 round LR PMAG through MidwestPX to get me Colorado legal.</div></div>

Always a good time. Have you hunted elk in Colorado before?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought one in Jan for Elk (Also for punching paper), got a couple 5 round LR PMAG through MidwestPX to get me Colorado legal.</div></div>

Always a good time. Have you hunted elk in Colorado before? </div></div>

No sir, it'll be my first time [Hunting] there.
I have a couple buddies that moved there and been there for years (Just West of Denver). One guys has been trying to get me out there for a hunt for a while now. I was slated to go last Nov but ended up taking a new job in July so I had to scrap any vacation plans... to make a short story long.
I'm pretty excited.

I was originally going to go with a Remmy 700, but Big Joe's Group buy came along and triggered my ADD and I put a .308 AR together with generous help from the boys at GA Precision.

In fact, I found this sight researching my first long range rig that I wanted to be able to double as a hunting rig.

Ok--- I'm talking to much and bordering on threadjack.

-Ino

Try some barnes TSX in federal premium or handloads. 308 is not a typical long range round used for elk but a good bullet correctly placed is way more important anyway. The irony is that you'll probably kill them at 50 yards anyway depending on where you set up.

I want a 308 semi for a truck gun to shoot hog dogs from trespassers who let them run on our property without permission. 5.56 let's them run to far and can create problems when I need them stopped quick. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. The rifle I was thinking of would look like:

A pic I found on another forum while googling about the handguards I want to use. I'm thinking I want something like that, the only problem is I don't know if I'll want the extra velocity of a 20" (the barrel I'm using a 20" is only a half pound more and my gunsmith can flute it to take some weight off). Whatever I do I know that I've had my fill of heavy guns and want it to be around 9lbs before scope.

edit: basically I have a 308 carbine buffer+spring, TM308 lower, DPMS 308 BCG, and a DPMS 308 upper, YHM 308 flash hider and I'm trying to fill in the blanks without breaking the bank. </div></div>

Getting a 308 AR under 9lbs isn't too difficult depending on the route you go with the barrel and rail. The Troy's can save up to half a pound over a DD or SWS or you can go KISS and get a handguard or simple tube.

The YHM flashhider may be a couple of unnecessary oz at the end of the barrel that could be replaced with a thread cap (assuming no NVD).

I can give you a breakdown of weights of different components if you'd like. For reference, I know that my MA-TEN with 16" Noveske and A2 stock could be shaved down from 9.0lbs to 8lbs if I replaced the Rainier rail with the Troy (8oz saving) and the barrel with a Armalite LW 16" barrel (another 8oz). Below that it becomes a lot harder.

R.R. LAR8 16" does great work on deer, skunks, beavers, pumpkins so far.. Sub MOA with handloads. Lightweight, mild recoil, plenty of firepower (20 rds). Looks cool, you will get alot of attention at the hunting camp. Also, with the adjustable stock, you can have a very compact hunting rifle. I mean, lots shorter than your old trusty 700. The .308 is an excellent whitetail round. Please, for me, hunt with your AR10.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try some barnes TSX in federal premium or handloads. 308 is not a typical long range round used for elk but a good bullet correctly placed is way more important anyway. The irony is that you'll probably kill them at 50 yards anyway depending on where you set up.

I want a 308 semi for a truck gun to shoot hog dogs from trespassers who let them run on our property without permission. 5.56 let's them run to far and can create problems when I need them stopped quick. :) </div></div>

I'll be sure to try it, thanks.

More than a few folks told me .308 was fine for Elk, was I given the wrong info?

Heck no. 308 /30.06/270 even kills the snot out of them as long as you keep your range reasonable. I probably wouldn't try pushing that round past 500 yards though on an elk. They are hardy critters. That said, if you punch lungs then they should die. The barnes TSX should give you ample penetration from most angles. If you shoot well with it and you prefer your AR over a stripped bolt gun then it should be a dandy setup. Plus it gets you into the mode of having one "go to" big game rifle that also serves as your varmint rifle. After you shoot prairie doggies and yotes at 300, elk will be a snap even further out. Send pictures and hunt hard! Don't be a horn snob - take the first reasonable and legal bull you find unless you are on a guided hunt. :)

i used a 308 Armalite for 10 yrs---now use AR15 platform with 6.5 Grendel---still like the 308AR but use it for stands and such
---would use it more if I had a lighter one---possibly a future project---use a 450 Bushmaster AR15 upper when it is hogs only
---like the 15 platform best for light weight---could use6.8 also

I have been hunting the last three years with my DPMS 308. I love this thing!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman92618</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For reference, I know that my MA-TEN with 16" Noveske and A2 stock could be shaved down from 9.0lbs to 8lbs if I replaced the Rainier rail with the Troy (8oz saving) and the barrel with a Armalite LW 16" barrel (another 8oz). Below that it becomes a lot harder. </div></div>

Thanks for the numbers. My sass build weighs about 14 lbs with optics, if I can get a 16-18" that weighs 10 or so with optics I'll be happy as hell.

BCP,

I hunt with a DPMS LR 308. I've shot Red Deer, sheep, hogs, but no white tail deer yet...

Mine started with a 24" SS Bull barrel, with an empty weight of 11.2lbs, and about 13 pounds with a Millet Buckgold scope.

I sent the barrel off to ADCO, and i had it shortened to 16" (kept the rifle length gas) and re-profiled to .750inches under the handguard. I also bought a DPMS Carbon-Fiber Handguard, and bought the lightest highest mag scope i could afford at the time.

The result is a Rifle that weighs 8.125lbs empty, and 9.5lbs with a scope!

The balance of this rifle is in a word, outstanding. It is NOT barrel heavy, unlike most 16" ARs. Even the scope does not alter the balance of the rifle. As you can see, the rifle balances on the magazine.

Here is the breakdown of my build

DPMS LR 308 Upper and Lower reciever.
Hogue Grip
Ambi-safety
BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle
JP installed single stage trigger (3.0-3.5# break)
VLTOR Buffer Tube & IMOD Stock with enhanced rubber buttpad
AR Restor Hydraulic Buffer (Super Shorty)
DPMS Rifle Length Carbon FIber Handguard
DPMS LR 308 SS barrel cut (16") & re-profiled to .750"
YHM Railed Flip-up gas block sight .750"
BABC Compensator
Sightron 6.5-20X50 SFP with Mildot Reticle
ARMS Quick Detach Lever Mounts

I will attempt to post a picture of this rifle, hope it works. Let me know what you think. I've been thinking of replacing the CF handguard with the new lighter weight troy rails, but i want to keep the all-up weight where it is...sigh.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

DPMSLR30816inUpperrightside.jpg

DPMSLR30816inSSupper.jpg

I absolutely love my 16" POF 308 - I go to property in northern MI for hog/yote/deer regularly and its perfect for the task. The round easily makes humane kills and the POF is exceptionally accurate. From a stable position taking my time I consistently land 2.5" groups at 100 yards with no magnification and 147 grain surplus ammo, and it only expands to about 4.5-5" with a standing shot semi auto 20 rd mag dumps in about 15 seconds. If you throw magnification into the mix, you can put a bullet through the heart of anything. In CA you should probably invest in a decent scope though, you typically have to reach out to touch something there. Our forests and fields make for most shots within 50-75 yards.

Looks good TX flyboy surprising that it balances like that.

As far as optics go I want something 2.5-10 in a detachable mount; IOR, Leupold M3 or Nightforce whichever I can get the best deal on. Until that happens it'll wear an IOR 3-18. Backup sights will probably be magpul, I don't need fancy just something that can let me plink at 50 yards etc.

I've used mine for over 24 months... love it...

Works on pigs, deer, etc.

GA Precision LR308, PRS stock, 18-inch Bartlein, vortex, SS3-9x42, sometimes EoTech and PVS14... 14.5 pounds with Scope, grippod, sling, one loaded mag.

I'm starting to use the 6.8 for pigs and predators around the stands during the off season. It comes in around 10.5 pounds with SS3-9 scope, all in.

Saying that, it's a hammer, and I wouldn't let it out of my armory...

8-2-10-01011.jpg

CroppedPigshot-1.jpg

Paducah10-04-09015.jpg

5-29-09-002023.jpg

Edited.jpg

Thanks Kalman.

Most people don't realize my rifle is a 308 until i ask them to look at the mag well...

I'm still working on load development for it. I think that i will settle on bullets in the 125gr to 155gr range for the 16" upper...

I also have a 20" upper that I mostly use for target shooting, which is about 99% of my shooting. That combo weighs about 9.2lbs empty and 11.2lbs with the same scope...on the heavy side for shooting off hand and walk & stalk type hunts.

Love my LR-308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rifle in my signature is what I will be hunting hogs,deer and yotes with. Although the jury is still out on whether the NF scope will be still on it when the season rolls around. No restrictions on semi auto or magazine capacity where I hunt. </div></div>

WoW! We have almost the exact same setup. Got to take it out once but didn't see anything. Using Barnes TTSX Triple Shok 180gr copper bullets, 39gr IMR 8208 XBR, Win LR, various brass for 2375fps and .80 MOA at 100 yds. These are loooong bullets so I believe that this is a compressed load as I can hear the powder scrunch a bit when I seat the bullet.

DPMS LR-308L, Stainless Steel 18" 1/10 twist, Lite barrel, Carbon fiber handguard and Custom brake,
Geissele Designated Marksman Rifle Adjustable Trigger
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 x 50 NP-R2
GG&G Accucam QD mount
Burris Fastfire mounted at 1 o'clock w/B-Comp 30mm mount
Magpul PRS FDE
Magpul Pmags
Harris bipod 6-9 inch (Don't know if I'll leave this on or carry sticks)
Weight: a little over 11 pounds w/20 rounds in the Pmag, ready to rock! Once I get a c-products and limit it to ten rounds, it'll probably weigh in a little over 10 pounds.

5498371399_877e894571_z.jpg

Yep, this is my critter getter.

DPMSLR308.jpg

This is all I need for 90% for the animals do or will hunt.

Hey there Ino,

I've lived in WY since '91, successfully hunted elk since that time and allow me to give you my two cents worth on using the 308 caliber for elk.

It's a great round and it's snuff LOTS of elk for LOTS of folks for many decades.

Having that said, allow me to point out that elk are NOT, I repeat NOT white tail deer, or even mulies for that matter when it comes to going down!!!

Deer are THIN SKINNED game, while ELK are THICK (very thick) skinned game! Heavy bullets do better all the way around with elk.

Like most folks here have said, Shot Placement is KEY. I've got a friend whose used .270 to slay elk for years and that caliber also works great.....at shorter ranges just like the .308.

By 'shorter ranges' I mean 300 yards or less for elk with either of the above calibers. I have little doubt that many folks have taken much longer shots and have 'eventually' succeeded in taking elk ('eventually' in my book means having to trail an elk): but unless they were a heck of a shot, didn't hit any of those thick ribs with a 150gr or 165 grain round, or didn't hit the huge scapula, the elk took more than one or two shots and certainly didn't go down within 50 yards.

There's a REASON why bolt gun hunters like .300 Win Mag and LARGER calibers for going after elk!

Up until the last few years (when my health got really bad), I hunted with a 700 Remington BDL in .338 RUM.

Why?

Because the .338 RUM at 500 yards (using Remington Swift A 250gr bullets, Nosler Partitions by another name) has 2025 ft lbs of kinetic energy: MORE than a .308 at MUZZLE.

I'm NOT telling you to not hunt with your .308 A10: what I am suggesting to you is to NOT shoot at over 300 yards with it (200 would be my personal choice with a .308, but 300 is do-able).

A 5x5 bull elk can go 500-700 lbs on the hoof and they get BIGGER from that point.....research Rocky Mountain Elk stats for insight.

Well, there you have my two-cents worth. I'm sure several folks may well jump down my throat, but I've hunted elk for nearly two decades in the Rockies and the Rockies is where I LIVE rather than visit once a year........just sayin.

Cheers

It knocks the snot out of those Texas hogs doesn't it! nice.

Pretty damned hard to beat the DPMS Panther™ LRT-SASS LR-308 for the money.. if not impossible.

I've got a 24" and I love it. Stupid accurate for the price.
My SS 24" embarrasses a lot of bolt guns. ;p

yes, I agree on the elk the 308 is a dandy caliber but when things dont go as planned( when hunting then never seem to ..at least for me) I have to say that if you do it run a heavy bullet that is tough pick your flavor, and make sure you can put that bullet where it needs to be. On the elk I love my 300 RUM with a 200 grn X. not as pin point as other bullets but that RUM is a pile drive at 600 yards easy. You put on in the boiler room with a 200 grn bullet out of that gun and you can start thinking about the tasty steaks that are soon to come.
smile.gif

Smaller game deer, hog , etc they all fall into the 308 cailber with ease. Good luck post the picks. BTW the follow up shots on fast moving varmits are nice HE HE

DPMS 308 SASS WITH A CRAP 3-9 SCOPE , WORKS LIKE A CHARM

Yep, I deer hunt with a R25, 308Win. It is more accurate than my M70 (270WSM).

I plan on doing my first deer hunt here in Arizona with my POF 308 this fall. I don't care how much it weighs, I'm takin it!

I have a DPMS 308B and AP4 in 7.62. The 308b is a tackdriver and the AP4 is not far behind but way lighter. Been great for all manner of critters.

Hunting2010008.jpg

I do. Here are two deer about 15 minutes apart from last year.