• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here own a surplus HMMWV?

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Okay, the wife wants a surplus humvee (not immediately, perhaps a near future project if funds allow).

Curious if any others here own/have owned a surplus HMMWV, and what your experiences are/were.

It would NOT be used for a daily driver - so we are not concerned about the road noise, lack of power, the fact they leak water, comfort, etc. It would be used for the odd local weekend trip in state, lots of areas here in AZ that we like traveling to where an off-road capable vehicle makes sense and would be fun. The novelty of one would be really cool, plus its the wife's dream vehicle. Plus it would make a bitching hunting/shooting/weekend fun vehicle. We are going into it understanding that this is a rugged utilitarian vehicle, that's not comfortable and has a lot of quirks.

GOV Planet auctions off a lot of these, and there's lots of resources available to understand what the buying experience is like. I'm currently doing my initial research. I understand that titling these things to be used for on-road use is a real pain in the ass, though there are companies that can help with that.

We would be looking at models that are soft top with no doors - perfect for what we would use it for here in AZ, and thankfully these are the least desirable models. I hear that going with the 6.5L with overdrive is the way to go, and have started watching videos on what to look for when purchasing one.

However, would love to hear opinions from this community on those that have gone this route, what they like/dislike about their rides and the process, what upgrades they made and what to look for/avoid, and overall general experiences.

Okay, the wife wants a surplus humvee (not immediately, perhaps a near future project if funds allow).

Curious if any others here own/have owned a surplus HMMWV, and what your experiences are/were.

It would NOT be used for a daily driver - so we are not concerned about the road noise, lack of power, the fact they leak water, comfort, etc. It would be used for the odd local weekend trip in state, lots of areas here in AZ that we like traveling to where an off-road capable vehicle makes sense and would be fun. The novelty of one would be really cool, plus its the wife's dream vehicle. Plus it would make a bitching hunting/shooting/weekend fun vehicle. We are going into it understanding that this is a rugged utilitarian vehicle, that's not comfortable and has a lot of quirks.

GOV Planet auctions off a lot of these, and there's lots of resources available to understand what the buying experience is like. I'm currently doing my initial research. I understand that titling these things to be used for on-road use is a real pain in the ass, though there are companies that can help with that.

We would be looking at models that are soft top with no doors - perfect for what we would use it for here in AZ, and thankfully these are the least desirable models. I hear that going with the 6.5L with overdrive is the way to go, and have started watching videos on what to look for when purchasing one.

However, would love to hear opinions from this community on those that have gone this route, what they like/dislike about their rides and the process, what upgrades they made and what to look for/avoid, and overall general experiences.

Never owned one but used them alot.

They can be pretty legit honestly depending on what you are using it for.

Some cons are:

Really uncomfortable seats for longer drives but hopefully your not taking long trips in it.

Axels can be rough to source from what I understand if you break one same with the diffs.

Slow slow slow.

Never owned one but used them alot.

They can be pretty legit honestly depending on what you are using it for.

Some cons are:

Really uncomfortable seats for longer drives but hopefully your not taking long trips in it.

Axels can be rough to source from what I understand if you break one same with the diffs.

Slow slow slow.

Definitely no long trips.

Just local weekender type trips - lots of areas that we love going to within a couple hundred miles of where we live, and a lot of these places are more suited for OHV style vehicles (Prescott/Crown King, Sedona, Patagonia/Sonoita, etc.)

For longer trips that require more comfortable vehicles, we already have vehicles for that.

Had three H1's and about 15 years of ownership. They are pretty similar and share many parts. I ran mine pretty hard, lots of video on YT.
First, you should be mechanically inclined as it's hard to find anybody qualified to work on them.

Simple things:
The rims are two piece, they use a rubber o-ring to seal the halves. So tire changes, you pretty much do them in your driveway then take them for balancing. If you have corrosion, they'll leak. You can buy one pc wheels, but the 12 and 24 bolt ones are authentic.

Brakes - a few different designs here with the parking brake mechanism. Can be a PIA.

Glow plug controller, 24v system.

6.2l/3 speed slow, but fine if you stay off the freeways. On ramps and merging suck. No top and doors off saves weight, that's good.

Humvee.net is another good resource.

I always wanted to build one of these:
sideview.jpg

Rear driveshaft would be about 8".

No good off road in AZ. Track is too wide for ruts. You wind up drive with one side tires in the rut, and the other side out of the opposite side rut and effectively off the road, hitting rocks, trees, etc They were designed wide track to drive on open sand, not on forest service roads. 60 + inches wide track, not 56 inches forest service road ruts. Also horrible on fuel. And ride like a tractor. Don't waste your money.

I'd only buy one that can cold start without using ether. For a "beater" farm truck it would be pretty legit, otherwise they aren't fun at all.

They run trails fine. I ran trails in PA, OH,WV, MI, WV, TN, MO, UT and CO including Black Bear. They are wider, but they also go over a lot of things without damage.

Yup, I have one. Love it!

A few tips... first, not being a daily driver is good.

They are a hoot. But you better do your own 'wrenching. You aren't going to find someone to work on it. Period.

They are slow. But who cares. You;re having fun.

Forget GOV. Planet. Buy one from the sucker who BOUGHT one from Gov Planet. Then put thousands into getting it roadworthy. Then found his Wife didn't like it. It won't fit in his suburban garage. Noone wants to work on it. Etc. etc. etc. Buy from the guy who has ALREADY invested in it. I got mine 18 months ago basically running great for $11.5K. That barely buys you a hulk on Gov. Planet. It was a father/son project. They had a blast with it. Son went to college. Dad sold HMMWV. Perfect way to buy one.

If you can find National Guard units (look for the tail numbers), they are way better than ex-Marine ones. (Noone lets the Marines have nice things. Do not buy a USMC Hmmwv.). Second best are the ex-Air Force ones. They never left Tarmac. I think they waxed them.

Problem areas? some have block cracking problems around back cylinders. Natron boxes (the computers) suck. And are $1,000. Glow plugs and injectors often need replacing. Easy to do. But a few hundred dollars in parts. Injector pumps plug up. Easy to fix. But lots of fiddly parts and lose a spring and good luck.

They are noisy. Inside they are like being in a steel drum full of angry wolverines rolling through a gravel pit into a Korean livestock auction. I wear headphones.

Do NOT replace the starter with a key unit. The key unit won't work with the 24V system to transmit enough power and you'll burn out your starter or Natron box. That gets spendy. Carry a lock. Or a 1911 and don't leave it alone in a parking lot. Anyway, secure it some 'other' way than putting in a key conversion.

Keep up on lube services. Geared hubs won't go 5 miles if dry. When you get it... it will be dry. Don't 'just drive home' and think you can get away with it. Unless you know the hubs, etc. are lubed... then have it flat bedded until you can do service.

Last, join G503.com There is a great HMMWV area there. And real experts. Join there before you buy. You may even find good deals in their PX.

They are a total blast! I highly-recommend one. I annoy bicycles and love idling outside the organic foods place. AND I get to park in all the places reserved for "Green Vehicles." (Fuck you, manbun, it's green. Now go suck a dick -- actual quote.)

Oh and they are really fun if you happen to own a SAW or an M2 or both.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... his name is SMAUG.
smaug monted 1.jpg

smaug mounted 2.jpg

smaug mounted 3.jpg

They are a hoot. But you better do your own 'wrenching. You aren't going to find someone to work on it. Period.

Forget GOV. Planet. Buy one from the sucker who BOUGHT one from Gov Planet. Then put thousands into getting it roadworthy. Then found his Wife didn't like it. It won't fit in his suburban garage. Noone wants to work on it. Etc. etc. etc. Buy from the guy who has ALREADY invested in it. I got mine 18 months ago basically running great for $11.5K. That barely buys you a hulk on Gov. Planet. It was a father/son project. They had a blast with it. Son went to college. Dad sold HMMWV. Perfect way to buy one.

If you can find National Guard units (look for the tail numbers), they are way better than ex-Marine ones. (Noone lets the Marines have nice things. Do not buy a USMC Hmmwv.). Second best are the ex-Air Force ones. They never left Tarmac. I think they waxed them.

Problem areas? some have block cracking problems around back cylinders. Natron boxes (the computers) suck. And are $1,000. Glow plugs and injectors often need replacing. Easy to do. But a few hundred dollars in parts. Injector pumps plug up. Easy to fix. But lots of fiddly parts and lose a spring and good luck.

They are noisy. Inside they are like being in a steel drum full of angry wolverines rolling through a gravel pit into a Korean livestock auction. I wear headphones.

Do NOT replace the starter with a key unit. The key unit won't work with the 24V system to transmit enough power and you'll burn out your starter or Natron box. That gets spendy. Carry a lock. Or a 1911 and don't leave it alone in a parking lot. Anyway, secure it some 'other' way than putting in a key conversion.

Keep up on lube services. Geared hubs won't go 5 miles if dry. When you get it... it will be dry. Don't 'just drive home' and think you can get away with it. Unless you know the hubs, etc. are lubed... then have it flat bedded until you can do service.

Last, join G503.com There is a great HMMWV area there. And real experts. Join there before you buy. You may even find good deals in their PX.

They are a total blast! I highly-recommend one. I annoy bicycles and love idling outside the organic foods place. AND I get to park in all the places reserved for "Green Vehicles." (Fuck you, manbun, it's green. Now go suck a dick -- actual quote.)

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... his name is SMAUG.
View attachment 7862089

View attachment 7862090

View attachment 7862091

Great information, and sexy rig! Damn I wish I had either of those guns to mount to a HMMWV :love:

As far as the keyed ignition switch problem goes, is this an acceptable alternative?

Wouldn't want a meth head running off with my future HMMWV...

Great information, and sexy rig! Damn I wish I had either of those guns to mount to a HMMWV :love:

As far as the keyed ignition switch problem goes, is this an acceptable alternative?

Battery cut-offs are fine. Just don't put an ignition key on it.

Yeah... I bought mine as a mobile gun mount. Replaced the Mutt. Both are cheaper than tripods these days. And worth less than the guns!

mutt mounted 2.jpg

Sold this guy to buy the HMMWV. The Mutt was always fun. And cute. But the HMMWV is just 'in your face.'

As it should be.

Sirhr

Battery cut-offs are fine. Just don't put an ignition key on it.

Yeah... I bought mine as a mobile gun mount. Replaced the Mutt. Both are cheaper than tripods these days. And worth less than the guns!

View attachment 7862130

Sold this guy to buy the HMMWV. The Mutt was always fun. And cute. But the HMMWV is just 'in your face.'

As it should be.

Sirhr
The Axe, that is the final touch that sets it off. Just a wantabe without the axe.

• Haha
Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Always wanted one. Id prefer one without a 6.2/6.5 and stuff a cummins into it. Ditch the massive coil springs for coilovers, 3.0 king should suffice, then fabricate arms with better parts. Maybe some day…..

Reactions: kthomas
Will say I’ve always wanted one. Years of riding in one, and testing its merit has not deterred me from that. Maybe one day, I’ll sell the VW Bug and find one to play with.

Very cool rig sirh! I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.:ROFLMAO:

I test drove an H1 back in the late 90s and tried to convince myself I should get it, I chickened out. Same with a Land Rover Defender 90, wish I had gotten that one but know I wouldn’t have held on to it to cash in on the current value.

Recently I’ve thought about getting a surplus HMMWV like kthomas. That or an old jeep and rebuild it as an all analog (or easily converted to analog) off roader. Probably the best solution is to just get a nice Razor and have done with it. It wouldn’t be the post apocalypse rig a jeep would be (parts availability-wise) but would be more practice and cheaper in the long run.

Following this. Id love to snag one and try to outfit it like a GMV for nostalgias sake.

If you want an even more fucked up side project, Im looking into importing a BTR70 and wasting $100K on modernization and swapping shit out, dont let wifey see one of those bastards lmao

Following this. Id love to snag one and try to outfit it like a GMV for nostalgias sake.

If you want an even more fucked up side project, Im looking into importing a BTR70 and wasting $100K on modernization and swapping shit out, dont let wifey see one of those bastards lmao
Those things look pretty wicked!

The wife is also interested in G-wagons. However, the supply for surplus G-wagons are probably fairly limited, and even more of a pain in the ass to title in the US (I'm guessing). Also, seems like most of the g-wagons are the older variety, which are much less appealing than the current models.

My M998. I replaced the three speed with a 700R4...four speed. I learned way more about hmmwv's than I ever thought. It helps to be handy and work on stuff yourself. They are loud, noisy, bumpy ,but still alot of fun. I ask the Jeep guys...those jeeps are so cute..do they go off road? :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 7862513

That's an awesome looking rig!

Did you buy it off an auction site and fix it up yourself?

That's an awesome looking rig!

Did you buy it off an auction site and fix it up yourself?
Bought it from a private party. No where near like it looks in the photo. Did a lot of maintenance items, filters, fluids, halfshafts, etc, etc. I added the Black Rhino wheels and Yokohama tires.

Bought it from a private party. No where near like it looks in the photo. Did a lot of maintenance items, filters, fluids, halfshafts, etc, etc. I added the Black Rhino wheels and Yokohama tires.

I'm assuming it already had a title that cleared it for on-road use?

My familiarity is that the wheel boxes suck ass.....and then suck some more ass (that is the gears in the wheel hubs if you don't know).
The engine is a boat anchor, a literal piece of shit that needs overboarded, no power, shit mileage, crude, prehistoric, crap that leaks everything everywhere.
There is zero room under the hood to work on it.....you will find you do not like this......lots.
6 billion unqualified soldiers have worked on it in the past, each one thinking he could fix the electrical issue....and just added to the problem. If you think it has a few electrical issues, just wait, the rest of the issues will surface soon enough.
They drive like ass.

That's my experience with them....yup, worked on 1 or 2.....or more.

I would look around and try to find an old Willys or Chevy panel wagon, turn it into 4x4 if it's not, put a LS crate motor in it, and call it done.

My familiarity is that the wheel boxes suck ass.....and then suck some more ass (that is the gears in the wheel hubs if you don't know).
The engine is a boat anchor, a literal piece of shit that needs overboarded, no power, shit mileage, crude, prehistoric, crap that leaks everything everywhere.
There is zero room under the hood to work on it.....you will find you do not like this......lots.
6 billion unqualified soldiers have worked on it in the past, each one thinking he could fix the electrical issue....and just added to the problem. If you think it has a few electrical issues, just wait, the rest of the issues will surface soon enough.
They drive like ass.

That's my experience with them....yup, worked on 1 or 2.....or more.

I would look around and try to find an old Willys or Chevy panel wagon, turn it into 4x4 if it's not, put a LS crate motor in it, and call it done.
Clean grounds are important. I added an additional grounding harness. No electrical problems. Everything you mentioned adds to it's "charm".

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... his name is SMAUG.
View attachment 7862089

View attachment 7862090

View attachment 7862091
Lol... not 1, but 2 50s....

I was looking at them once, but it was cheaper to put 1 ton axles and lockers in a blazer, which will spank a humvee in most offload situations now. My first blazer eventually ripped the sandwich plates on the steering box through the frame at an off road jamboree in Texas. So I made a hydraulic assist set up for the next one I built, and used some Off Road Design chevy steering box braces. That blazer is actually sitting now waiting for me to strip it for another one, the new one will have a top, doors, and heater because I am getting too old run around in the winter in my topless no door no heat hoopty. The old one only weighed 4500 lbs with a dana 60, 14 bolt, and 38" boggers. The new one will probably tip closer to 5500.

I had a D90 from 1994 - 2001. Loved it. Put 100K miles on it and sold it for WAY more than I paid for it. But the big $$ service bills sucked.

This is my other 'off road' toy.

View attachment 7862236

AMC 401. It... goes.

Now if I can just figure out the carb and the stall converter... I'll be happy.

Sirhr
What troubles are you having with your torque converter? Or are you just having trouble deciding on what stall speed you want?

What troubles are you having with your torque converter? Or are you just having trouble deciding on what stall speed you want?
No, it wants to stall when I go into reverse. Idle speed is too high. Going into gear (TH400) is a 'thunk.' It just needs tinkering, which I won't get to do until spring farm work is done. I may just pull engine and trans and redo both. I didn't build it. Lots of cut corners I need to correct. Tracking. Brakes. Steering centering. Fortunately, it was cheap. I couldn't buy the 401 for what I got the whole thing for.

Sirhr

Everything you mentioned adds to it's "charm".
Well then.
Why don't you just purchase any British vehicle made before 1995 ?
You know, MG, Triumph, Jag, Roller, Austin Healey, Jensen Healey, Aston Martin.....basically anything with Lucas electrical and a crankshaft thrust made from a half circle washer.

You know Lucas, maker of the 3 position switch, off, dim, flicker.

• Haha
Reactions: johnnyvw

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... his name is SMAUG.
View attachment 7862089

View attachment 7862090

View attachment 7862091
When can I come over to play?

You can do a key switch. Just need to wire it to the coil on a contactor so the contactor is passing the current, not the key. This is how everything not military is done, but military has to be special.

You can do a key switch. Just need to wire it to the coil on a contactor so the contactor is passing the current, not the key. This is how everything not military is done, but military has to be special.
You do know it's a diesel, right ?
I.E. no coil.

You could conceivably do some sort of fuel line electro cutout valve.
A 1/4 turn shutoff valve with a electric plunger to operate it ??
It would take a bit of thinking, but not too tough.
Big plus on this is that no one would ever suspect it.
The injection pump could be another source to lock out.
Don't bother with the starter tho....a pocket screwdriver can manually over ride anything you do there, and most thieves ain't that stupid.

You do know it's a diesel, right ?
I.E. no coil.

You could conceivably do some sort of fuel line electro cutout valve.
A 1/4 turn shutoff valve with a electric plunger to operate it ??
It would take a bit of thinking, but not too tough.
Big plus on this is that no one would ever suspect it.
The injection pump could be another source to lock out.
Don't bother with the starter tho....a pocket screwdriver can manually over ride anything you do there, and most thieves ain't that stupid.

You do understand they're warning not to bypass the toggle switch because it passes full starter current?

You can add a key switch, just not in place of the toggle without taking the load off the key and putting it through a remote contactor.
Coil on the contactor, not a spark coil. Completely different things.

If you want a kill switch just run a manual choke cable to the fuel arm on the injection pump and hold it closed. Most of the older trucks I've driven that was the standard way to shut them off. Start with key, pull on knob to kill.

You do understand they're warning not to bypass the toggle switch because it passes full starter current?

You can add a key switch, just not in place of the toggle without taking the load off the key and putting it through a remote contactor.
Coil on the contactor, not a spark coil. Completely different things.

If you want a kill switch just run a manual choke cable to the fuel arm on the injection pump and hold it closed. Most of the older trucks I've driven that was the standard way to shut them off. Start with key, pull on knob to kill.
Not a kill switch, a security lock.
You know, if you leave it alone around someone who may know it's inner workings ?

BTW, the injection pump uses a electrical plunger to open when in run and closed to kill engine.
Standard mechanical injection pump workings for nearly all diesels without electronic injection (like newer duramax, cummins, power stroke).

Exactly who cares about the starter, it's not the only thing that starts the vehicle.....fuel bubba, fuel.

The injector pump is the way to go. I would wire a switch to the metering solenoid on top.

It's not a metering solenoid.
It's an electro-magnetic plunger.
Voltage to it, it pulls back and allows fuel to flow.
Remove voltage and the plunger being spring loaded extends into the fuel passage and shuts the fuel off shutting off the engine.
Just like the Olds diesel it has that stupid ass glass ball check valve that always fails.
Yes, it's an actual glass ball....~about~ 1/4 inch in diameter.
Stupid GM shite.

We have several at work, your guberment will basically "give" them to your local law enforcement if they jump through all the hoops.

I can tell you they come in all flavors, from totally clapped out, to brand new. All I can offer is check them over real well. Nothing is inexpensive on them, and lots of stuff is hard to find. You will not find much at your local parts store.

Research I guess I am saying.