• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here reload for 45 Raptor?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    Im splitting case heads and im about at my end as I cannot figure out why.
    • Headspace is set correctly with PTG go/no-go guages - im very confident this is not the issue
    • Measurements taken .5000" above rim
      • Sized brass: .4715"
      • Fired case: .4815"
      • PTG Gauge is .4760"
    • Variety of bullets: hornady 250gr FTX, Parker 275gr Black Max, 250gr CEB Maximus all jumped .007-.025" (ie. not jammed causing a pressure spike)
    • Powders used: Lil Gun, H110, VV N110
      • Only tested near the min charges (Min varies by book, but figure about 41gr of h110 for a 265gr bullet, 32gr of VV110)
    • Dies: Hornady 460 S&W
    • minimal taper crimp - just enough to remove the bell (Case mouth diameter = .4760 post crimp)
    • Primer: Fed 215M
    • Platform: Bolt gun
    I spoke with several different gunsmiths, and the consensus was the chamber was oversized based on the cases not growing in length and the amount the diameter grew, so I sent the barrel back to the MFG and they said its within their spec. So Starline offered to take a look at the brass and they said brass was good, but it may be getting oversized and thought maybe trying a 45 Colt sizer would be better. Since its all sized and splitting with even a minimum charge, I cant really test that right now (not to mention H110 is and VV110 is still out).

Does anyone load for this cartridge and offer any advice?

I dont reload for the raptor but I doreload for the 460. H110 is a very good powder for it but it does not like to be loaded light. I always get the best performance at the top end of charge weights. I have backed the die out far enough that it only sizes the “neck” and not the full body of the case for my encore 460. Maybe give that a try because if the case diameter is growing that much I would thing the chamber is pretty loose.

I dont reload for the raptor but I doreload for the 460. H110 is a very good powder for it but it does not like to be loaded light. I always get the best performance at the top end of charge weights. I have backed the die out far enough that it only sizes the “neck” and not the full body of the case for my encore 460. Maybe give that a try because if the case diameter is growing that much I would thing the chamber is pretty loose.
    Ive read/heard/potentially witnessed issues w/ H110 and low charges. My issue is I cant go past 41 if im seeing case separation - do you mind telling me what charge & bullet weight you are having luck with?
    "neck" sizing is an interesting idea. I would need to pickup some new brass since its all been sized and obviously even min charges are giving me issues. How far down are you sizing? Are we talking 1/8"? 1/4"? 1/2?

Thanks for replying

Ive read/heard/potentially witnessed issues w/ H110 and low charges. My issue is I cant go past 41 if im seeing case separation - do you mind telling me what charge & bullet weight you are having luck with?
    "neck" sizing is an interesting idea. I would need to pickup some new brass since its all been sized and obviously even min charges are giving me issues. How far down are you sizing? Are we talking 1/8"? 1/4"? 1/2?

Thanks for replying
    I “neck sized” about 1/2”. I use 250gr FTX and 300gr sst muzzleloader bullets with h110.

Reactions: Bigtrucknut
    I'm in the early stages of developing handloads for my LR45. I haven't split cases but I did blow a few primers when I loaded 300 grain Parker Match/Hunter bullets with the minimum charge of Lil'Gun. Didn't have a problem with 250 FTXs and Lil'Gun. I recently bought some H110 and Accurate 5744 to try but frankly, I have been focused on chasing down components and handloading .243 Win for my long range LR.

What guns are you guys using the Parkers in?
    An AR or bolt gun?

Winny94, what powder load are you using with H110? Max 41 grains?…with 265 grain bullets only?, or with lighter bullets also?
    AR or bolt gun?
    If it’s an AR, barrel length and gas system?

Are you in a “straight wall” state like Iowa?

Thanks