• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone here with 7.62x39 pistol/SBR suppressed?

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Would like to know what your setup is including can and whether or not you have an AGB. Thanks for your experiences.

I have a 7" 7.62x39 upper with pistol length gas and a non-adjustable gas block which I run with an SDN-6.

Had it built in ~2008/9 before I knew about AGBs. Would def get one if doing a build now as the blowback is real. Even with an RTV'd charging handle my nose looks like a coal miner's after a few mags.

Even with the gas, it's fun as hell to shoot in FA as the ROF is up there, haha.

I just picked up a PWS 11.8" 7.62x39 upper receiver. Its a long stroke piston with 3 position gas block, so I cannot speak on the adjustable gas block. But I run mine with a Surefire 762 RC2. It runs great with supers, but its a little weak on feeding when running subs. It runs much more reliable with subsonics using the Surefire 300 SPS.

Rifle dynamics 11.5 pistol.

Made to be suppressed. Sadly no I don’t have one but I drool over them.

Have several custom builts running Faxon and Kak barrels all in 10.5" length. No AGB and running SiCo cans from SpecWar to Saker to Omega. Blowback for me is minimal at best...

I just picked up a PWS 11.8" 7.62x39 upper receiver. Its a long stroke piston with 3 position gas block, so I cannot speak on the adjustable gas block. But I run mine with a Surefire 762 RC2. It runs great with supers, but its a little weak on feeding when running subs. It runs much more reliable with subsonics using the Surefire 300 SPS.
    I run the Mk116 love it just checking in to see what else is out there b/c it's easy to get into tunnel vision. PSA has a complete pistol lower/shockwave blade for $119??? Geez. My buddy has one on his PWS rig runs like a champ and I had an old PSA lower beater rang great for me may do one of these and keep searching for an Mk111 upper on the used front.

I run my PWS on setting 3 for supers/suppressed and 2 for subs/suppressed. Are you keeping the gas block on 3 for subs as well? I would get occasional feeding issues on 3/subs, but really they Atomic 220's are so inaccurate past 50 yards I pitched them so keep it on 3/supers. Brown Bear has 196's coming soon though hope they are better in the 1:10

Last edited:
    Yeah, I am running the supers on 3 and it works great. I just picked up a couple hundred rounds of the new 196gr Brown Bear stuff. The BCG does not consistently go back far enough to pick up a new round. Even when running suppressed. It currently has a Geissele Super 42 buffer and spring in it. I may try a traditional recoil buffet to see if that helps. I am also going to try running a SF 300 SPS instead of the 762RC2.

Yeah, I am running the supers on 3 and it works great. I just picked up a couple hundred rounds of the new 196gr Brown Bear stuff. The BCG does not consistently go back far enough to pick up a new round. Even when running suppressed. It currently has a Geissele Super 42 buffer and spring in it. I may try a traditional recoil buffet to see if that helps. I am also going to try running a SF 300 SPS instead of the 762RC2.
    Ahhh dangit! I had high hopes for the BB. Are you running the subs on 2 or 3? Did you get them from k-var?

I tried them on 1, 2, and 3. 1 would get me a failure to feed every couple rounds. Setting 2 would always fail to feed. And setting 3 wouldn’t even recok the hammer. But it was quiet, lol.

My buddy has an MK 111 pistol, but he bought the entire thing from PWS and his runs like a beast. I wonder if you might call PWS and ask them what buffer and spring they used? They are awesome I've called them a couple of times just with general questions super helpful. I know they use BCM for a ton of their stuff

Reactions: TampaBud
    Yeah, that was going to be my next move after I tried a different buffer and spring. I have heard they are good with questions and customer service. So, I will definitely have to give them a call.

I recently tried my friends Surefire 300 SPS on my PWS rifle. I think the Geissele spring and buffer are still too much for the energy of the sub Sonics to overcome and function properly. It ejected once or twice. But most of the time it just got stuck after extraction as the brass started to come to the ejection port.

Next up, is a standard carbine buffer spring and buffer.

I recently tried my friends Surefire 300 SPS on my PWS rifle. I think the Geissele spring and buffer are still too much for the energy of the sub Sonics to overcome and function properly. It ejected once or twice. But most of the time it just got stuck after extraction as the brass started to come to the ejection port.

Next up, is a standard carbine buffer spring and buffer.

From Geissele site:
    NOTE: We do not recommend the Super 42 with 300 Blackout subsonic ammunition. The Super 42 Spring may be too powerful and not allow the rifle to function properly.

Try using a standard carbine spring and H2 buffer... if that doesn't work go down to a H1

Reactions: MPDS13
    Well I guess I could of just looked on the Geissele website, haha. Thanks for the info.

I think I'm the guy mentioned above with the MK111 and MK116. I run the SIG can on the Mk116, have tried a handful of subs and came to the conclusion that they are "cool" to shoot but don't a lot of practicality when it comes to hunting. I think I've tried all of them and I always came away asking myself, "what am i going to shoot other than paper with these?" For a guy that only buys bulk from Wolf and can ring steel all day long at 200, I just need to stick with the original intent - kill hogs between 60-100yds.

have had my zastava M92 7.62X39 pistol for 5 years now and have been thinking about putting a can on it'
    it has a 10.25" barrel on it and across my chrono runs 2100-2150 FPS and i have many 10 for ten shots on 10" gongs at 200 yardfs
    and with a 3X scope on itll do it at 300 0n 12" gongs. BUT---it has a terrible flash bang with just the flash hider on it.
    be great for hogs in the thick stuff and deer same.
    IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Usually if you have a can, then you want to use subs = 300 blk especially if you want factory.. even still, with reloads, most will veer towards 300blk just go tune velocities with their can.

Most with 7.62x39 AR, including myself, get this for stoopid cheap steel cased wolf blasted ammo which is actually rather accurate 2moa to 4moa for factory ammo for roughly .189 cents per round off brownells with promo code per 1000rds. My KS47 is something I DONT need to reload for :)

I have this Sig 556xi russian, now a SBR. It’s ridiculous how much gas I take to the face shooting this left handed, like one of those old motorcycle chase movies. I never run the can anymore. Tromix used to make a piston adjuster for it you could drill to reduce the gas, but unfortunately this is a dead platform anymore. I don’t want to modify the stock parts since I can’t replace them.

Attachments

• 35047E22-9359-4947-96B2-670182AFADA1.jpeg
      35047E22-9359-4947-96B2-670182AFADA1.jpeg
      250.6 KB · Views: 100
    Well, I swapped out my Super 42 buffer system for an older JP SCS. I figured. That’s about the spring weight of a carbine H buffer and if I am shooting Subs and going for quiet. Might as well run a really smooth quiet buffer. The PWS upper now functions great suppressed and is quiet as hell with a SF 762RC2. I also think running a bunch of supersonic rounds through it to help break it in helped.

Ive actually never suppressed my 12.5" AMD-65 SBR as the threads are a bit off but I do with a different Arsenal chopped and pinned about an inch longer. KNS piston worked wonders using an Omega. Id actually love to get the AMD rethreaded- by far the most accurate AK I have owned. Think the original short stiff FEG barrel really makes it special. I dont post groups online as I would instantly be called a liar.

Well, I swapped out my Super 42 buffer system for an older JP SCS. I figured. That’s about the spring weight of a carbine H buffer and if I am shooting Subs and going for quiet. Might as well run a really smooth quiet buffer. The PWS upper now functions great suppressed and is quiet as hell with a SF 762RC2. I also think running a bunch of supersonic rounds through it to help break it in helped.

Glad to hear it's all working out for you now ! I'm running their gen 2 H2 and agree with you... quiet and smooth.

Wow this is great to hear was hoping it was a lower/timing issue that's just a matter of patience. I will let you know as soon as the BB subs come in at the other place I told you about on PM. Hey could I ask you a favor please? If you could do a best group at 100 just to see how that 1:10 does with the little lighter BB round please? If I can get say a 3" group at 100 I'd run with that all day long.....range fun forever. How's that lacquer doing any sticky issues? Thanks man have fun with it looking forward to running these in my 16"

Last edited:
    Wow this is great to hear was hoping it was a lower/timing issue that's just a matter of patience. I will let you know as soon as the BB subs come in at the other place I told you about on PM. Hey could I ask you a favor please? If you could do a best group at 100 just to see how that 1:10 does with the little lighter BB round please? If I can get say a 3" group at 100 I'd run with that all day long.....range fun forever. How's that lacquer doing any sticky issues? Thanks man have fun with it looking forward to running these in my 16"

No problem at all. I will shoot a couple groups with them and see how they do. I haven’t had an issue with the lacquer. But then again I have only shot about 200 rounds through it and was cleaning it regularly to try and get it to run right. But not that it is running. I will start shooting a bunch and see how it does.

No problem at all. I will shoot a couple groups with them and see how they do. I haven’t had an issue with the lacquer. But then again I have only shot about 200 rounds through it and was cleaning it regularly to try and get it to run right. But not that it is running. I will start shooting a bunch and see how it does.
    Oh man thanks that is awesome I really appreciate it. My dad has a buddy with a cattle ranch near his place where I can take him to shoot and he would just have a hoot blasting an IPSC for hours with subs. I've found the PWS handles the gunk quite well suppressed I've gone on several 500+ round Wolf HP stretches w/o doing anything but running a bore snake through the pipe a few times. Appreciate the group testing....have fun...pew pew!

Bringing this post back to life. Ordered my RD 704 pistol back in Aug 2019 and it arrived 4 months later. Insured the irons were on for my eyes and then the Optics. Can pretty consistently hit a 1/2 ipsic at 300 with Red Army. Now that I have my TBAC Ultra 9", they are both headed back to RD to be married up and tuned. Looking forward to comparing standard velocity and BB 196 Subs. Will report back later.

Attachments

• Rifle Dynamics MRO G33 full leftjpg.jpg
      Rifle Dynamics MRO G33 full leftjpg.jpg
      428.9 KB · Views: 298
    • Rifle Dynamics MRO G33 full right.jpg
      Rifle Dynamics MRO G33 full right.jpg
      427.4 KB · Views: 46
    Any uupdates on the RD 704? I have a Galil that I finally put a SF adapter on to try suppressed with supers but no joy on feeding due to being over gassed. Going to order a KNS piston head for it before long, didn't try it with the BB subs yet since it will primarily get shot with the supers and the can.

20200329_205559.jpg
    20200414_181816.jpg

Hi, I just built an AR 7.62x39, 16", from Davidson Defense, it works perfect since day one with regular ammo even suppressed, but I'd tried it with subsonic ammo and a Sig Sauer suppressor and simply does not cycle, I've read some articles that says that I have to modify the buffer spring or make the gas port bigger,.... does any of you have any experience about it.

Thanks in advance