• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone hunt with 6mm creedmoor?

Kwfranklin88

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
Alabama
I’m wanting to get my son a 6mm creedmoor for long range targets and whitetail deer.
Has anyone taken deer with one? What ammo did you use and how did it perform?
I know the cartridge is plenty adequate for deer. His hunting shots will be under 200 yards. Most will be under 100 yards.
My main concern is penetration and blood trails. We hunt in very thick brush. Without a blood trail it’s nearly impossible to find them.

I’m wanting to get my son a 6mm creedmoor for long range targets and whitetail deer.
Has anyone taken deer with one? What ammo did you use and how did it perform?
I know the cartridge is plenty adequate for deer. His hunting shots will be under 200 yards. Most will be under 100 yards.
My main concern is penetration and blood trails. We hunt in very thick brush. Without a blood trail it’s nearly impossible to find them.
What bullet do you like currently. Use that in the CM. The 6cm is identical to the .243 win, but with a faster twist.

143 grain Hornady low drag expanding polymer tips generate 2,300 foot-lbs of muzzle energy out of the 6.5 with 2,800 FPS velocity... THAT is PLENTY enough for deer, bud... No worries about ethical performance or underpenetration with these stats.
biggrin.gif

6.5 CM is basically a slightly souped up version of the 6mm Lee-Navy round used by Marine snipers from 1895 to about 1911. The Lee straight-pulls had also seen action on the African savannah in the hands of professional hunters. They were more than enough to handle anything big and small across the world.

Reactions: Ronws
What bullet do you like currently. Use that in the CM. The 6cm is identical to the .243 win, but with a faster twist.
I use Barnes 130g ttsx in my 308. It doesn’t require tracking. I love light for caliber cooper projectiles for hunting. I am loading up some hammer bullets to try this year.
My son wants a rifle that he can plink with at longer ranges and use for hunting. He also wants something with low recoil. So I figured the 6mm creed would be perfect for him.
I’m just not familiar with 6mm cartridges performance on game. He started out with 7.62x39 bolt action. It didn’t penetrate enough to create exit wound and blood trail. So they were very difficult to find in the thick brush.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Stop shooting them behind the shoulder and you won’t have to track them. I shoot for the front point of the shoulder where it meets the base of the neck. Hit them there with any rifle round and they won’t take a step.

Amazing what a bullet to the neck will do to a deer. Immediate drop.

put a 108gr eld-m in the pumphouse and the shows over quickly. we don't eat store bought meat as a family of 6 and 2 seasons have been with that combo.

that's from a 6br and 243.. have to get notes on exact number but it's a monster on antelope, whitetail, elk and mule deer. inside of 100 out to 500. nothing weird.. just use a good match bullet like the 108gr eld-m and eat aged venison.

6 Creedmoor 16.5” 1-8 twist

Berger 95gr VLDH
IMR 4451 43grs.
BTO 2.138
CCI BR2
Hornady 6 Creedmoor brass

2846 FPS avg.
H 2857
L 2836
SD 8.6
.291 group @ 100yds

I’ve killed deer and yotes with it. It truly does a great job on deer with proper shot placement.
97DFD573-C69F-4B29-8F91-1A8C0E58CDB6.jpeg

6CM with Hammer Absolute Hunter bullets. You’ll thank me later. The bullets are light for caliber solids and drop deer in their tracks.

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
My kids have killed a ton of deer with a .243 Basic 95gr nosler ballistic tips. As said above shoot them in the shoulder and they never go more than 10 steps....many just fall DRT with upper shoulder shots. Main thing is placement to contact shoulder bone. Same thing with a .223 and barnes 53gr......they have probably killed 50 between them with that and the shoulder placement shots.

Reactions: Kwfranklin88
6 creed for all intents and purposes is a refined 243 and 243 has been killing varmints, deer, elk, and all kinds of other game for decades.

Barnes LRX bullets out of a 6 creed are awesome. They punch through and drop game without leaving nasty exit wounds in hides or destroying a ton of meat. Also don’t have to worry about lead fragments and really don’t have to worry about copper fragments unless you hit a heavy bone and tear a pedal off which is pretty hard to do. They also don’t rip open fox and coyote hides on exit if you do any predator hunting.

6mm’s don’t make good brush guns though, so if you’re hunting in brush with one make sure you have a shooting lane.

Plenty, assuming shot placement. Ive seen a 100# deer get up after a 30 prc hit it. He dropped, was down a long while but woke up. Anything can leave em alive if you hit em wrong. Even if you miss by 1/4”.

143 grain Hornady low drag expanding polymer tips generate 2,300 foot-lbs of muzzle energy out of the 6.5 with 2,800 FPS velocity... THAT is PLENTY enough for deer, bud... No worries about ethical performance or underpenetration with these stats.
biggrin.gif

6.5 CM is basically a slightly souped up version of the 6mm Lee-Navy round used by Marine snipers from 1895 to about 1911. The Lee straight-pulls had also seen action on the African savannah in the hands of professional hunters. They were more than enough to handle anything big and small across the world.
I don’t know where you’re hunting, but ain’t nuthin’ smaller than a 300 weatherby puttin’ down a S Texas doe.

Been in Texas all my life and finally went hunting in south Texas last season. You definitely want them dead right there.
I don’t know where you’re hunting, but ain’t nuthin’ smaller than a 300 weatherby puttin’ down a S Texas doe.

My favorite shot when I used a 22-250. Never had to look for one.
I hunt deer a lot with a .243. It’s adequate. Shoot high shoulder and stop having to track deer. I stone every deer I kill (2-3 a year) with a spine shot, usually high shoulder if broadside.

I shoot a 243. 1:7 twist. 115 Berger VLD Hunters are good. Only shot 1 pig so far with it, but it works. And as far as target shooting they are fantastic.

Reactions: smtitmelevi
Both the 100 grain sierra SBT and 100 grain hornady btsp have been more than sufficient on over 40 deer for me. The 243 with these loads pushing about 2900-3000 fps drops them quicker than any other rifle I have killed deer with when shooting them in the heart/lung areas.

Shit, we had a female newbie hunter in our group get a south az buck at 501 yards with a 1:8 22-250 with an 85 grain pill. Heart and lung, didn’t go far, exit wound was pretty decent size. I was impressed. People around here look at you sideways when you say 22-250. Until i show them what it will do to steel.

Shit, we had a female newbie hunter in our group get a south az buck at 501 yards with a 1:8 22-250 with an 85 grain pill. Heart and lung, didn’t go far, exit wound was pretty decent size. I was impressed. People around here look at you sideways when you say 22-250. Until i show them what it will do to steel.
Which bullet? I’m figuring it was handloads. Most commercial stuff is 55gr and won’t penetrate like that. Heavy for caliber projectiles seem to make it a solid performer.

Reactions: Jgunner
That’s impressive! I know it’s a stout cartridge but I never would have guessed it would do that.

Reactions: Jgunner
Which bullet? I’m figuring it was handloads. Most commercial stuff is 55gr and won’t penetrate like that. Heavy for caliber projectiles seem to make it a solid performer.
Definitely hand loads. 85 gr barnes match burners in a factory barreled tikka 1:8 twist. Id love to try some bergers but finding them was difficult. We had some of these and they shoot great. Took her out to 450 prior to the hunt and she hit everything as she should.

Drilled that sucker!

The 22-250 was my rifle all through my teens into my early twenties. Shot everything se Texas has to offer with it. One day shooting paper my rifle opened up around 1" and I thought that's odd, so I cleaned it. Didn't help. Looked down the bore and you could see shadows about 6" long just forward of the chamber.

Digging around at my reloading bench I found three gallon ziplocs of 22-250 brass. That one had some miles on it. Some of it loaded several times.

Moved on to a 243 shooting 55gr noslers around 4000fps, yeah that one didnt last long, now I mostly shoot 308 and 300winmag. I need another 22-250.

I’ve seen piles taken with factory 5.56. They are thin skinned and full of vitals.

We can go on and on about shot placement all day, but fudds are never going to get it.

I think this video does a better job than any video using a rifle.

*laughs in 30-30*

In all seriouness, as an excuse to buy yet another rifle, my deer rifle was planning to be 6 creed or 243 for whitetail deer. I dunno if its this thread or another, but someone mentioned if you hunt long enough you'll have seen just about anything. I watched a bullet proof deer take rounds from a 30-30, 30-06, and 270 (the same damn deer mind you) and then try to run away before the 270 finished him with yet another shot. Of course only the last one was properly placed (oh to have my eyes at 14 again and see the impact on the deer at about 100 yards)

My grandmas-sister (aunt) hunted with a 6 Remington all her life. She never had issues (she could shoot!)

Bruh, I hunted the hill country for YEARS and those things bed in cactus, and eat rocks. Tougher than a leather sole. They don’t even need bullet proof vests.

I see the humor of my first post missed a few people.
Man, I guess them great dane lookin things are tougher in Kerville than Floresvile

I use Barnes 130g ttsx in my 308. It doesn’t require tracking. I love light for caliber cooper projectiles for hunting. I am loading up some hammer bullets to try this year.
My son wants a rifle that he can plink with at longer ranges and use for hunting. He also wants something with low recoil. So I figured the 6mm creed would be perfect for him.
I’m just not familiar with 6mm cartridges performance on game. He started out with 7.62x39 bolt action. It didn’t penetrate enough to create exit wound and blood trail. So they were very difficult to find in the thick brush.
Would you mind sharing the recipe? Would like to try in a 1-10 22".

Man, I guess them great dane lookin things are tougher in Kerville than Floresvile
You heard of deer “jumping a string?” Yeah, I had a hill country doe jump a bullet.

(Ok, this one is a real No shitter, sort of). Before I knew anything about ballistics, I took a shot at a doe that I had no business lobbing down range. I aimed “top of back” with my dad’s trusty remington seven hunnerd, chambered in two sebumdy winchester. Had a Leo-Poled 3 by 9 scope. Anyway, she dropped, but a second later she jumped up and ran off. We eased on down the ranch road (hunting deer from a vehicle on private property is legal in TX) and around the hill she was on. A doe jumped out and my dad tagged her. (I had given him back his rifle and was armed with my Marlin 30-30.) When we got up to her and turned her over, there was a cut right at the lowest point of her sternum, where my bullet had made contact, just about 6 inches too low.

Deer east of I-35 are candy-asses raised on fresh corn and fertilized an irrigated fields.

All fun aside, 6mm Creed is more than enough for deer.