• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone hunt with bags?

Covertnoob5

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    SoCal
    Hey guys do any of you guys take a shooting bag hunting? Saw someone take a mini fortune cookie. Just wanted to see if more people are doing that or not.

Reactions: WoobieJ
    Hey guys do any of you guys take a shooting bag hunting? Saw someone take a mini fortune cookie. Just wanted to see if more people are doing that or not.
    I do. I take a small weibad bag with me to the blind. I think I'm going to get a reasor game changer for this season though. I think it's way easier than taking a bipod or just resting the rifle on the window seal.

I feel the game changer might be a little heavy for me. Which Wiebad do you take? I was thinking about a tac pad or solo sack maybe?

I use the redtac gear pillow no matter what I am shooting. I mostly shoot prone and have a midwayusa mat with me also. I love 800 yard wheat fields.

I generally allways take my Badlands backpack and depending on the type or hunting I'm doing adjust what goes in it.
    Sitting in a blind I take a bean bag I made and small sand bag.
    Spot and stalk or sitting in brush line I take the bean bag and a BOG-POD tripod since they are both fairly light and plenty effective for most hunting distances I encounter.

I always carry a rear bag. Weibad makes a really light one that works well.

There are places in the hunting world (say, central plains with little cover over 12" high) where it might be pretty useful to have a bag to shoot from, and there are those "hunters" that like to try to shoot little bitty animals from way out (like 1,000 yard pdogs, which just about need a damn rail gun).

But other than that, it's my opinion that you need to learn how to shoot from field improvised positions, most certainly including offhand and supported offhand.

I have taken a couple shots from a backpack (no rear bag), and that WAS nice, but the VAST majority of the shots I've ever taken at game were off the dirt, a limb, a corn stalk, around a hay bale, a fallen log, or just "old-fashioned" holding the rifle.

I'm not saying that a guy should be reckless, and I am very passionate about the differences between shots on game versus shots on paper or steel. If you need a bag to make that 6" shot, then by all means, use the bag.

But I do think you can learn to do it without for most instances.

-Nate

Mini fortune cookie is awesome for hunting out of tree and box stands. I don't go hunting without it anymore.

There are places in the hunting world (say, central plains with little cover over 12" high) where it might be pretty useful to have a bag to shoot from, and there are those "hunters" that like to try to shoot little bitty animals from way out (like 1,000 yard pdogs, which just about need a damn rail gun).

But other than that, it's my opinion that you need to learn how to shoot from field improvised positions, most certainly including offhand and supported offhand.

I have taken a couple shots from a backpack (no rear bag), and that WAS nice, but the VAST majority of the shots I've ever taken at game were off the dirt, a limb, a corn stalk, around a hay bale, a fallen log, or just "old-fashioned" holding the rifle.

I'm not saying that a guy should be reckless, and I am very passionate about the differences between shots on game versus shots on paper or steel. If you need a bag to make that 6" shot, then by all means, use the bag.

But I do think you can learn to do it without for most instances.

-Nate
    When you're sitting in a blind in Texas and weight doesn't really matter, an bag on the window ledge creates a more stable and quieter rest to shoot from. I'm not only hunting muy grande from the blind I'm hunting coyotes and hogs etc. and sometimes they show up wayyyy out there.

On a spot and stalk where I'm packing with weight in mind, I would agree with you and probably carry something like a monopod trigger stick as well. Best believe I won't be shooting off hand out a blind with a perfectly good rest just for shits and giggles.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    Take a bag made to go over blind windows when I'm sitting in blind, generally have a triad wedgie with me as well but depends on angle if I can use it.

Just got my game changer and armageddon gear sling in today. we'll see how they do

Just received the Comanche from Warhorse Dev. I plan on using it in WY on an Elk, Mulie, and Antelope hunt (if the situation calls for it). When i get back, it will go over thin metal railing on tree stands.

If I’m hunting along a fence line or timber I take a game changer in a back pack. I use it as a front bag on a post/branch or a rear bag. Sometimes I pack a tripod, sometimes I’ll take both. Depends what I have to use as a rest.

I carry a badger bone in case I get the chance to be prone for the shot. I also carry a light weight tripod with the double Y type rest on the top. I carry it fully extended like a walking stick and its been a nice confidence boost when taking up or down hill quartering shots. Never really needed it before, but I have used it on a few shots because I had it handy and it makes a big difference in seeing your impact on the animal and how it reacts when hit. Probably going to be a lot more practical this year since I'm hunting SE Idaho where there's knee high sage brush everywhere.

The Mile High Traust bag is perfect for hunting as it’s lightseight but still stable. I keep it clipped to the outside of my pack and it’s fast and quiet to deploy.

I use a No Name Tactical rear bag, just attach it with a small carbiner to by pack, it's super light and has bungee for attaching it around my forend which works great when shooting off a boulder or fallen tree.

Reactions: missed and WoobieJ
    I keep a gamechanger in the truck when driving around the ranches I frequent. Good for shooting out the window if a hog pops out.

I was also wondering in addition to those that use a bag in the blind if any of you use your sling to support your shooting position? Patrol style or carabiner to belt?

I bought a game changer to try on the window of the blind to make it more stable...I guess I’ll find out if it’s worth it this season.

I always have some kind of tripod for glassing, so between it, my backpack/coat/natural structures I can get a good position built - but I leave my tactical bags at home.

I shot my bull last season about 4 feet off the ground, wedging myself and rifle in an old juniper tree. My bull was in his bed in a deep drainage and it was the only way I could the angle on him for the shot.

Is is clear that we all have different environments in which we frequent for hunting and hence what works for a blind environment is of little use to me and vice versa.

59512B68-E8F0-4C5E-882B-85EC94D5FA7F.jpeg
    This is typical territory for me - scouting last week.

I always have some kind of tripod for glassing, so between it, my backpack/coat/natural structures I can get a good position built - but I leave my tactical bags at home.

I shot my bull last season about 4 feet off the ground, wedging myself and rifle in an old juniper tree. My bull was in his bed in a deep drainage and it was the only way I could the angle on him for the shot.

Is is clear that we all have different environments in which we frequent for hunting and hence what works for a blind environment is of little use to me and vice versa.

View attachment 6935415This is typical territory for me - scouting last week.

That looks very similar to what I'll be trying to archery hunt this fall.

I keep a Wiebad mini fortune cookie with me at all times. Of course, backpack hunting for me means walking 1/2 mile into a stand from the truck. It's extremely useful on a blind window, open truck door, and as a rear bag. I got the largest Traust support pillow recently. It's already come in handy for a few things, like extra support under strong side from the blind. I even used it as a stool to sit and glass with binoculars. Doesn't weigh anything, no big deal to clip it to the outside of my pack.

I’ve got a little Caldwell bunny ear bag that I filled with rice. Not sure what it weighs but it’s not much so it’s always in the backpack somewhere.

CSC_0809.JPG

So ready! This game changer is awesome. Truck door, pipe, T-post, tank trap, branch... I've been trying it on all sorts of things and it just sticks. Can't wait to throw it over the blind window seal this season with my new DMR LLC 6.5 CM.

Reactions: kimberyote
    Bumping this back up to get some additional feedback on the gamechanger for hunting. Conceptually speaking, it sounds great... but it just seems so damn big.

Reactions: YotaEer
    I bought a game changer to try on the window of the blind to make it more stable...I guess I’ll find out if it’s worth it this season.

I'm doing the same this year. Prior years I stacked up my gloves on the window ledge which has worked well.

Agreed that its a bit too big, for hunting I find the form factor of the mini fortune cookie and pint sized game changer to be a better fit.

I always have an aluminum tripod in my pack, so I carry a Wiebad pump pillow filled with polyfill clipped to my bag. Weighs nothing but allows for a better rear rest.

I use a No Name Tactical rear bag, just attach it with a small carbiner to by pack, it's super light and has bungee for attaching it around my forend which works great when shooting off a boulder or fallen tree.

Yeah I run the same thing. Nice and light, I do keep the bigger bag handy also.

I generally have a small bag either in my pack or attached to the butt-end of my sling. If I end up getting a chance to shoot prone., I’ll either shoot off a bipod or my backpack and use the Hannah for a rear support. If I’m shooting off sticks or some other standing position (e.g., leaning against a tree), I’ll use the bag under my trigger-hand arm as a support.

I bought a pint size game changer bag with the light fill option just for shooting house/truck windows.

When hunting from a box type blind I like to have a game changer on hand. On my way to Saskatchewan right now and it’s in my carry on so it doesn’t count towards the weight limit.

For stalking hunts I take a small rear bag and an Armageddon Gear Fat Bag.

Now that the season has started, I can comment on taking the Game Changer to the blind. Since I don't have far to walk, It's no big deal. I use a carabiner to clip to my pack. It's a great thing to have with me, and it really makes the rifle solid when you're looking down a 600 yard sendero at a coyote or pig. It's nice to leave the gun up as well resting on the bag on the window sill.

I hunt from a tree stand out of tall Sycamore that can move in the wind so that combined with the les than stable front bar on blind I use a Warhorse Saracen and 8 Ball Adventure modular bag when hunting at 400+ yards.

Made cold bore shots on whitetails at:
    632 yards = double lung 2017
    416 yards = head shot 2018

Attachments

• 20181111_165546.jpg
      20181111_165546.jpg
      588.6 KB · Views: 59
    Reactions: kimberyote
    I'm doing the same this year. Prior years I stacked up my gloves on the window ledge which has worked well.

Regular game changer was too tall for my current blind/chair set-up. Think I might just get one of those Velcro barricade pads and call it a day. Unless the wind destroys my blind windows this winter, then I'll lower them to work with the bag.

Regular game changer was too tall for my current blind/chair set-up. Think I might just get one of those Velcro barricade pads and call it a day. Unless the wind destroys my blind windows this winter, then I'll lower them to work with the bag.
    Get a taller chair ?