• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone in the greater Yellowstone area have experience hunting wolves?

Knight_Who_Says_Ni

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2011
Idaho
I have a pack up the road from me that needs to go away, they've gone after neighbors pets and . I know where they're at, I'm just a total greenhorn when it comes to hunting. Last year I went hunting for the first time and learned some basic calling, I just never got to get a shot off. I'm originally from a liberal city where hunting is viewed like murder, my grandfather was an avid hunter but he passed before I was born and I've never had the experience of really hunting. It's something that I really want to do and learn how to do so I can pass it on to my kids. I'm wondering if there's anyone with experience that would be willing to go out. I'll share the hunting spot if you're willing to show me the ropes. Right now I'm down in Rexburg going to school, but the spot is about 20 minutes outside of West Yellowstone in Idaho.

Any advice that you guys have about hunting wolves? I really want to fill my tags this year.

First question is your sure it is in a trophy area and not a predator area? I know in WY even some areas in the GYE are predator and can be shot on sight. If you know where they go can you figure out how often they repeat that path and then bed down and wait. You can do this with little training if you have patience and the time. I would gladly come over but unfortunately I'm back at school as well in Laramie.

I would jump over to predator masters forum. They have some good info once you get through a few egos. If I didn't just get a disk replaced in my neck yesterday I would be all over swinging down giving you a hand.

If I fill my elk tag in a couple weeks I am willing to come show you the ropes, killed a wolf last year. Not too much different than any other predator hunting, same principles apply.

Knight, I wish you the best of luck and envy you at the same time. I'd love to have a chance to hunt a wolf . I'm a little too far from you to offer any help though. Be sure and let us know how it works out .

I believe Idaho allows bear hunting over bait. I haven't done it but I also understand a lot of wolves are killed by those hunting bear over bait.

Might want to look at that method.

I have a pack up the road from me that needs to go away, they've gone after neighbors pets and . I know where they're at, I'm just a total greenhorn when it comes to hunting. Last year I went hunting for the first time and learned some basic calling, I just never got to get a shot off. I'm originally from a liberal city where hunting is viewed like murder, my grandfather was an avid hunter but he passed before I was born and I've never had the experience of really hunting. It's something that I really want to do and learn how to do so I can pass it on to my kids. I'm wondering if there's anyone with experience that would be willing to go out. I'll share the hunting spot if you're willing to show me the ropes. Right now I'm down in Rexburg going to school, but the spot is about 20 minutes outside of West Yellowstone in Idaho.

Any advice that you guys have about hunting wolves? I really want to fill my tags this year.

You are welcome and thanks for taking all those Alaska wolves from us. I wanted to send more down to the states but this is all you would take. Great idea by the way! Now look at what you got!

One person is responsible for this, she lives back east and has more influence in these matters than the residents who live and work in their home states.

Sounds like a bad time for whom ever ghosts wolves in that area? We still fight around our parks about lovely, beautiful, lovable, adorable wolves but I believe Yellowstone is a powder keg but I could be wrong. Hunters slaughtering wolves for some reason just did not come to fruition in Alaska but wolves slaughtering game animals did so much, herds were/are down, small game is down, pets have been killed while on leash being walked, wolves are being seen mid day and the first confirmed humane kill has taken place. I have seen their damage when protected to do what they do. Our hunting grounds was void of game; bou, moose, mink, shrews, beaver, martin, everything living that use to be plentiful was killed.

Wolf hunting take lots of patients. While I have done it I do not have what it takes to stay with it. I am not a seasoned wolf guy, this is how we did it with some success. Not sure what is legal or not in your AO. I believe its a matter of luck but of course skills is involved too but more the side of research. Our last few times we hunted over a hare gut pile, we used Expedite or hung a hare rug up high in the scrub brush with Foxpro Hellfire, need good volume with a realistic sound that does not distort, talked to hunters/F&G who used yote decoy to calm the nerves and get them aggressive to lose some of their caution, we on high ground about 300-400 yards out with binos glassing a long ways out, when the wolves were hungry or curious, they came running but when they were not, we got cold and left. Screey AP4 and AP5 worked best for us too.

Good luck, hope this helps or someone more seasoned at wolfs than I.

Let me know if you're interested, I can do any night of the week except Sunday. Hunting closes 30 minutes after sundown. It's up in the Island Park area.

I challenge howled a pack and the reaction was very aggressive. All came in within 100 yards, and surprisingly hung around for about 30 seconds after the shot. Worth a try, just might have been a fluke...