• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone interested in free 303 British surplus ammo?

dang472

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 3, 2012
    Kingston, IL
    A work friend of mine is looking to dispose of maybe 100 rounds of WW2 surplus 303 British ammo on stripper clips. His dad just passed away so he’s going through his belongings. I’d prefer someone in northern IL but not sure if it’s worth it to ship. I’ll get more details if there’s interest. He said it’s a little green but should shoot. Just hoping to not have to dispose of it.

I’d imagine UPS ground wouldn’t be too bad. It might be a few weeks before I get my hands on it. Our company shuts down for the holidays. I’ll keep you posted.

They are loaded with Cordite. What is the headstamp on the cartridges?

I have fired thousands of rounds of WW2 cordite loaded Mk VII .303 back in the day...a 600 round case on bandos was about $62 OTD back in the 80s. .used to buy 5-6 cases at a time. Cordite is tough on barrel throats, and expect hangfires.

The guy who has it lives in Oswego. I live in Dekalb county. He’s our mechanic so he covers job sites from Kankakee to Beloit, WI

They are loaded with Cordite. What is the headstamp on the cartridges?

I have fired thousands of rounds of WW2 cordite loaded Mk VII .303 back in the day...a 600 round case on bandos was about $62 OTD back in the 80s. .used to buy 5-6 cases at a time. Cordite is tough on barrel throats, and expect hangfires.

Same here. One of my first .30 cal rifles was in .303 Brit. Had lots of hangfires with WWII ammo.
    At the end of the day, I've actually disposed of this ammo, except for one box for my ammo collection.

There's gotta be at least a couple thousand Lee-Enfield owners in your area. I know IL is backwards on most things, but it's still legal to own an old rifle.

Reactions: Dan M
    C9CCCD45-0750-4DE3-A611-5F0F6A151953.jpeg

Cordite

321C98B2-2BB9-43AD-8F4F-B1BDBF84FD89.jpeg

Not cordite

Last edited:
    Ammo is no longer available. The condition wasn’t the greatest and the possibility of hangfires kept him from wanting to pass it along. I originally thought he had a large amount that would justify shipping or taking the time to meet someone, but it sounds like it was under 100 rounds or so. Thanks for all the information, I passed it along to him and he found it very interesting.

Reactions: Bluedog82