• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone into restoring motorcycles that can help me out?

Iamero

Barksa #1 Fanboy & Professional Paper Puncher
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    Michigan
    Unfortunately I am not on any bike forums and was hoping there would be some members on here that are. I am restoring/converting a 1985 Honda Shadow VT700C and I have found it near impossible to find the left side panel / battery cover.

Poking around eBay I may have found one or two but they want freaking $120-200 for a plastic cover.

OEM pet number is 836A0-ME9-780ZA.

Anyone able to Google fu better than me or ask around on some forums? Help me!

Not on any Honda forums here (while I pledge no allegiance to any one manufacturer, my bikes consist of Kawasaki and Yamaha models at present), but I think those prices are probably pretty in-line with what you'll pay for a vintage plastic piece in good shape. I have a little YSR50 that I'll be rebuilding, and OEM plastics are ridiculously expensive (which is why I'm considering aftermarket for most of mine). Considering that it's 33 years old at this point, a plastic cover in good shape is going to be harder to find, and thus more valuable, than a metal component that can be easily formed in most shops and will have stood the test of time far better.

You may consider having someone print one for you, if doing so proves less expensive than an outright purchase. Good luck with the rebuild, though! Old bikes are loads of fun! I'll be saving up for an SR500 (or an XS650 as a close second) to "Cafe out" once I get all my shooting gear in a more finalized state. :)

I'm afraid you have to go digging in scrap yards if you want it cheaper. I'm in the same situation. I need a small piece of plastic, the size of my hand, for the rear of my CBR900RR from 97 and people want $150 for it.

Crazy prices

If it's a fairly flat piece, vaccu-forming might be an easy way to copy the original in lexan or kydex.

I would trust that more than pretty much any 3D print.

Yea the problem is because I’m doing a conversion into a retro bobber style on this one, having OEM parts doesn’t matter much to the value anyways. I’ll have to keep digging around. It kills me to spend $120 on a part when I paid $600 for the entire bike, haha.

There is a huge scrap yard in Boise ID. I forgot it’s name.... they might have 1 or 27 of them. Lol

Haha might have to give them a call and see what they say. Haven’t heard of any motorcycle specific yards around me but I’m sure if I called around someone might have a bunch of scrap bikes.

Also thought about just doing something like these.

38A9CB77-1CE5-4BE3-978F-136952C8A1B1.png

I did end up getting the leather bags to use while I continue my hunt for the left side panel. Figured I would attach a picture to show you guys how it’s coming along so far. I might put a big white WWII style star on the tank but haven’t decided yet. Just put black shocks on it after this picture was taken.

95838B11-37F7-438B-AD85-24A3D4D58A69.jpeg

Reactions: Basher