• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know Antique Colt Revolvers?

dmuldrew

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 24, 2002
Missouri
I have recently discovered my interest in these old cowboy guns. By old I'm talking real antiques made prior to 1900. I recently came across one built by Colt in 1877, issued to the US Army. Returned to Colt for factory refurbishing, including replacement of worn parts, refinishing, and reassembly, and reissued to the Army in 1895. There is also a factory letter from Colt that affirms all of this.

I know in antique firearms condition is important in determining value. Does being reconditioned at the Colt factory prior to 1900 decrease this hand gun's value, or does it have no effect.

Re: Anyone know Antique Colt Revolvers?

I would guess it lowers the value somewhat. All the paperwork and documentation always helps. Colt has a research service that will tell you the history of the pistol. Im not sure of the cost. You could aLways just call and ask them.

I have a 1908 SAA the I got from a friend whose grandfather bought it new in Marlin, Texas.

While it may obviously lower value from a 100% "original" condition, an early factory re-firb is still highly valuable!(this was done quite commonly back then) I am no expert by any means, but I do know that martially-marked Colts like the one you mention, often command top-dollar!

Old Colts are cool in the extreme!! Good luck!

I have not messed with them in about a year but I am guessing that it has a 5 3/4" barrel. It probably has a 2 line pattent date and is probably an artillery model. Do the serial numbers match? artillerys mostly did not match. They were the 7 1/2" cavalry models that went back to colt to be cut down.

The best thing to do is get an oldtimer that can show you the ropes. Be very careful not to give to much, the market is low and there are a lot of parts guns out there.

I got a book called " A Study Of The Colt Single Action Army Revolver" by Graham Kopec Moore. That book will tell you everything you could imagine about 1st gen colts. It is about a $200 book but I found mine at a Gun show for $60. If you have any specific questions I might be able to reference it for you.

I am not an expert so maybe someone else can add to or correct anyhting I said that is incorrect.