• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Anyone know of a high tech laser training set up for a pistol?

sgtsmmiii

Lieutenant
Minuteman
  • Sep 2, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have a doctor friend that is looking for a technically advanced - high end laser training set up for a pistol. He wants to be able to take advantage of his limited amounts of free time to train in his house before he has to get to work. He is dedicated to being a highly proficient shooter and has the funds to buy something pretty spendy / high tech. He has been to several schools and has done quite well. I've looked around on the interweb and everything I have found seems pretty cheaply made or limited as to what it can provide to increase his proficiency.

Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your time and help.

Tag for input. I am looking for one that I can adjust point of impact. I bought a laerlyte one a few years ago. The laser is off alignment with the bore.

A friend has suggested a SIRT pistol along with an iMarksman setup. A possibility, perhaps? Anyone with feedback of either?

have you looked at the mantix
    not sure if its the same thing your talking about or not but its kinda neat to see during dry fire or live fire and see if you twitch , or drop the barrel or what ever you could be doing wrong .
    unless you meant something like this that runs off a computer there are others online that do about the same thing .
    these are sort of cool as well

Last edited:
    I have a doctor friend that is looking for a technically advanced - high end laser training set up for a pistol. He wants to be able to take advantage of his limited amounts of free time to train in his house before he has to get to work. He is dedicated to being a highly proficient shooter and has the funds to buy something pretty spendy / high tech. He has been to several schools and has done quite well. I've looked around on the interweb and everything I have found seems pretty cheaply made or limited as to what it can provide to increase his proficiency.

This is what he needs: https://benstoegerproshop.com/dry-f...pistol-shooter-by-ben-stoeger-paperback-book/

Completely unaware that no one who trains seriously uses any laser gimmicks, no matter how expensive, he will still waste his money on one.

The FAAC systems are legit. Pricey.

I'm pretty sure we're talking here about marksmanship and weapons manipulation, not force on force which is a completely different ball of wax and well outside my lane.

I'm pretty sure we're talking here about marksmanship and weapons manipulation, not force on force which is a completely different ball of wax and well outside my lane.
    They actually have very solid skill builders as well, and you get a good idea of just how fast you can run a gun on those, but yeah, mostly force on force. Also like $50k and up.

They actually have very solid skill builders as well, and you get a good idea of just how fast you can run a gun on those, but yeah, mostly force on force. Also like $50k and up.

The people who think you need to spend that kind of cash on gimmicks will never really be any good.

Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson never wasted a dime on shit like that and when it comes to shooting, they will waste any motherfucker who thinks he's good enough to take on them.

Reactions: Milo 2.5
    The people who think you need to spend that kind of cash on gimmicks will never really be any good.

Ben Stoeger and Steve Anderson never wasted a dime on shit like that and when it comes to shooting, they will waste any motherfucker who thinks he's good enough to take on them.

Well, they really aren't designed to "get good." But they are a solid system. Anyway, my original point being that truly useful laser systems are very expensive, and account for things that make performing hard.

Shooting- or whatever you do becomes permanent... So practicing a bad habit and it becomes permanent...

My suggestion- take a couple of 4-5 day classes...

Dry practice at home indoors with an appropriate non fixed target

Set it up- Dry Practice- then remove the target.

Airsoft for home practice... from the holster -

There are kids who only shoot airsoft in Japan who came to the states and can really shoot.

They have a ton of perfect dry practice and airsoft shooting.

You can buy a shot timer for under $150- these work at range and at home. Cell phone apps for shot timers- are not loud enough for the range.

Gun Shot Timer app by Innovative Applications

once you take a few classes, you know during your dry practice to watch the front sight 100%. Part of the drill is your sight alignment, sight placement, trigger control so the sight stays still when the trigger breaks. With a semi auto, part is keeping the trigger trapped to the rear. Use the support hand to rack the slide 1/2"-1" or what ever is needed to reset the mechanism. Then return to firing grip and release the trigger to reset.

I don't know anyone who uses the laser aids...

I do know a lot who take classes, dry practice a lot and shoot drills...

Maybe the laser will work... I would be afraid a newer shooter would develop bad habits...

I do have 2 pistols with visible lasers... and they are training tools... I have the laser 8" low... I can see someone flinching and have them shoot the gun with the laser... They should not see the laser as it is 8" low at 10 yards... If they see the laser- they are not focusing on the front sight. I can also shoot a video clip on my phone in slow motion and they can see the laser dip just before the shot on replay

Japanese airsofter shoots guns for the 1st time

Last edited:
    Mantis, SCATT, or Top Gun.

MANTIS uses an inertial unit to track the guns movements. No minimum range, use any target.

SCATT and Top Gun need a 5 meter distance from gun to target and use special targets.

How about pair the Mantis with a CoolFireTrainer (more so for the recoil, but they do have a laser attachment)?