• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Know What This Is?

vh20

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2012
395524AC-3C39-4031-ADFC-2FBE22C0B5EA.jpeg
7F6C7AB3-9D87-485B-9C8D-9238CC83930E.jpeg
1E9EC6FE-A227-42D4-BF21-24EB5CA9D259.jpeg

We bought this house in July. It has an in-ground irrigation system and also a lot of dusk-to-dawn lighting in the landscaping. I haven’t had to use the irrigation system until now and found several sprinkler heads that needed repair when I tested it yesterday. In the process I came across this item underneath some grass that had overgrown it a little bit. I dug around it a little bit to identify it but I can’t seem to figure out what it’s for. Photocells for the lights can be found on each of the lampposts, and it doesn’t seem to be related to the irrigation. Submitted to the brain trust here because the broad range of knowledge never ceases to amaze. What is it?

could be a sunlight sensor to turn it on and off any control boxes anywhere?

Looks like a light sensor. Are there wires running to it or is it possibly a solar panel

does it Tick ?
No, and I didn’t feel it click when I stepped on it either!
It does appear to have some sort of photocell or solar circuit in the window on top, but all of the landscaping features I’m aware of appear to be controlled by some other means.

No, and I didn’t feel it click when I stepped on it either!
It does appear to have some sort of photocell or solar circuit in the window on top, but all of the landscaping features I’m aware of appear to be controlled by some other means.
Judging by the condition it's in, I would not be surprised if it's a repellent that no longer works.

Have you tried pulling it out?

Judging by the condition it's in, I would not be surprised if it's a repellent that no longer works.

Have you tried pulling it out?

I did, gently, after I had dug around it to the point shown. Came up about an inch and felt like it hit a stop. Not knowing if it was wired in I didn’t force it.

I got it they are lawn intruder trips you put hundreds of them in your yard and people crossing your property are tripped by them as well as those cumming to help the intruder the solar part is so they can charge the alarm for when night comes around ready to tackle the next uninvited intruder on your property . they just lower them self in the daytime so you can cut your grass without problems. was that close ?? like these sibling dispute resolvers discised as toys for kids oh what a great time to be alive .

@acudaowner - No, but I like your idea! Since it appears to be non-functioning, I'm headed to Lowe's to see if I can replace it with your version.

Hi,

Same thing that happened to roman candle and bottle rocket wars lol....they gave way to manginas.

Sincerely,
Theis

No shit. We used to get M-80's and Cherry bombs by the box. Those poor mailboxes. Now you cant (legally) have anything that leaves the ground or goes boom.

Ah.
I used to have a badass horseshoe pit at my bachelor pad in the mountains.
So much that we made a cage for empty cans and bottles beside it from 4 T posts and some chicken wire.
It was in the middle of the posts, so there was a secondary contest for shooting empties.....

Traveling to parks, campgrounds, and other places with family has made a spot for Cornhole in my life.
New yard will afford a horseshoe set-up if the layout affords it. And the yard/property will have a big part of the decision as I am all about outside time for myself and kids.
Trampoline, tire swing, tag, ball, fire-pits, shooting bows, BB guns are all important activities, as are BBQs with family and friends.