• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know what this part is? Seekins SP10

rmiked

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2023
There is a roll pin right below the dust cover on right side of my SP10. I marked it in the picture below. Any idea why it’s there? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5223.jpeg
    IMG_5223.jpeg
    497.1 KB · Views: 58
Thank you. How would you remove it if you wanted to? Tap it through? I guess it’s just a stop used when installing the pivot pin so it really never gets removed?

Sorry I called it a takedown pin. Suppose it it more accurately called a pivot pin.

A video is worth 1000 words. 😀

Reactions: rmiked
Something tells me that isn't a roll pin. It's just a hole and what you are seeing is the pivot pin spring. Almost, if not all AR lower receivers have that hole. I think its original purpose is a drain hole.

Ok. I can’t feel the back side of a pin when I stick my finger up inside the mag well. I thought I was seeing a pin but perhaps just the aluminum hole? I just didn’t know why the hole was there. Watching the video of installing and removing the front pivot pin, the guy never makes reference to the hole or if there is a pin inside the hole. The lower he has also shows a hole there. Maybe it’s a drain hole like you said?

Thread about it on m4carbine.net.

Reactions: rmiked
Well it looks like the hole is deliberate and could be useful for manufacture and maintenance. I‘m glad I’m not the only one who has wondered why it was there.