• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone know where to get a modified case made?

Ebar48

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2020
South Carolina
I just finished fire forming brass for a 300NMI and have a case set aside to get a modified case made for a hornady oal gauge. I made mine for a 22-250 ackley and while it works it took about 10 pieces to get it drilled without crushing the brass. Not willing to do the same with this lapua brass. Does anyone know if a company/someone you can send off a case to to have it drilled and tapped? Thanks for any info.

Reactions: simonp
Shack. That’s exactly what I was looking for. I got my 6BRA case from them. Thanks man! Kinda ashamed I didn’t stumble upon that with how much I was looking

Hornady will modify your case but they want 2 samples for some reason. Scroll towards the bottom of the page for info

Reactions: Baron23
Been missing one for 6.5x47. Ordered. Thanks. $15 shipped done and done.

Any decent local machine shop can do this as well - although it'll help if you know the thread size or can bring them the male end. (I forget what size it is off-hand.)

I've done a few of these - just support the case head in the lathe and drill/tap it. The tapered case body doesn't get crushed or even touched. With most cases I can use the outer-most "tooth" of the lathe jaws to clamp the case rim, unless it's a rebated rim. Belted magnums are really easy.

The only thing you need to do is size the brass, and cut the neck longitudinally (even a Dremel is fine). Debur it inside and out. Size it again.

Load a bullet long, measure CBTO, document, chamber it, eject it, measure CBTO, document. Pull the bullet. Adjust the seating die, and repeat the process.

Also, did you not find your rifling before fire forming your brass? The distance of the bolt face to the lands has not changed, no matter condition the brass is in.

The only thing you need to do is size the brass, and cut the neck longitudinally (even a Dremel is fine). Debur it inside and out. Size it again.

Load a bullet long, measure CBTO, document, chamber it, eject it, measure CBTO, document. Pull the bullet. Adjust the seating die, and repeat the process.

Also, did you not find your rifling before fire forming your brass? The distance of the bolt face to the lands has not changed, no matter condition the brass is in.
I used a standard 300NM case gauge to find the lands for the first firing which was close enough to ensure I got a little bit of jam (and based on the improved geometry chamber you don’t need to jam as you get a slight crush on virgin lapua brass, but I like to jam improved fireform loads just to be sure)…but used 225eldm for the fireform which I don’t plan on using again. Have two extra pieces of lapua brass that are now formed, and just want one drilled and tapped case gauge before loading up Berger 245 LRHTs. I am not a fan of the split case neck version as the measurement is never super consistent. It’s only 9 bucks to get one done up by copper creek so I’m just going that route.