• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone load long OAL 308s in 300WSM Accurate Mag?

JB02

CDR
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2011
    Northern VA
    My wife has a Type 2 Alpha Mag in her Manners T5 mini-chassis, and she's getting really sick of it. In particular, she can't shove 10 rounds in the magazine and fit load it in the bottom without fiddling with it for several minutes. Standard AI mags work terrific, but I can't lengthen them to get within 0.020" from the lands on with the factory 5R barreled action.

It's no secret to some on here that I'm not a big fan of Alpha Mags anyway.

300 WSM Accurate Mags do not have the inside binder plate. Has anyone here modified the feed lips of this magazine an used long 308 Win cartridges? If so, what OAL are you able to use and what tool do you use to modify the feed lips?

Yep,
    Been using them (4 of them) in my .260 Surgeon for about a year now seating 140gr JLK's way out there (2.950" and I still have room to chase to the lands)and they feed great. tweek the lips and your good to go with the H-S precision mag tool from Brownells! By the way don't blame you on the Alpha mags...never was a fan, bought 2 and threw them in the trash bulged the sides of the mags when loaded with 10 rounds!!
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ne-tools/magazine-feed-liptool-prod25049.aspx
    HTH
    Sully

Last edited:
    Thanks. I just got her a 300 WSM Accurate Mag from Russell's SSC group buy and the feed lip tool was in-stock at Brownells. I'm not sure that I'll toss the Alpha mag in the garbage, but it will probably go in the box of cheapo bipods that I never use.