• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone load their "percision" ammo on a 650XL?

JasonB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2007
Manteca, California
I was thinking about getting an 650XL to do my 6.8spc and 308 ammo for my gas guns... question though does anyone use one for there Bolt guns? How accurate/consistant is the powder dump? I figure if I keep using my Redding Bushing Dies like I do with my Single Stage as long as my powder drop is consistant that the 650 would reallly speed up my reloading

Jason

Re: Anyone load their "percision" ammo on a 650XL?

With ball powders my XL650 throws +/- .1 probably 80% of the time. A small percentage will be a bit outside of this, and for my "blasting" ammo you really can't notice a difference. I'm sure even with this much variance sub-MOA ammo is possible, but I've yet to try testing ball powders for precision.

However, .ike many others I didn't get nearly as good results with extruded powders, so for Varget I remove the DIllon powder system and use a funnel die and hand drop charges from my RCBS chargemaster. This is for precision ammo for my gas gun, an AR10. I'll load my .308 bolt gun (in the market for one now) ammo the same way, as my precision loads will all use Varget. When its time to actually "re" load and make plinking/blasting ammo with BLC-2 then I'll go back into mass production mode with the Dillon powder throw.

With ball powder, my 650 will throw charges within +/-.2 grains. When I first get started, I'll weight the first 50 or so cases to make sure the powder is throwing where I want it. I'll then spot check the rounds to see what it's throwing. Once it's up and running, I can get it to within +/- .1 grains. My 223 and 40 S&W test loads shot well to within about .4 grains of the most accurate charge weight. So this variation of +/- .2 grains is fine for me.
With an extruded powder, all bets are off. I will get high throws and low throws, +/- .4 grains. I don't use extruded powder for a progressive press for this reason. Some get it to work, but I won't use it for match ammo. Too much of a spread for me.

I avoid the stick powders on my progressives. I like the AA powders in my 223 and 6X45 loads that I use in matches. I do them up on the 650 and so far the results at the end of the day have been gratifying. I know the groups I shoot for sight verification seem to be consistent and as tight as I can load on my single stage presses.

Greg L.