• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone loading for the 6XC?

Re: Anyone loading for the 6XC?

I have 2 and they are great.Barrel life isn't exactly as good as I was hoping but I'm pushing them pretty hard.The brass is good and they are easy to load for.I prefer my 243.Even though it uses a little more powder it has a little more speed potential and its easier for me to lose winchester brass at matches than 6xc brass.No matter what you push it out of a 115 DTAC at 2950ish is always a performer.

why not go with the 243 Ackley or standard 243 Stan ?

My 243 AI loves RL25, H100V and 4831SC.

Shoots 115's at 3178 extremely well and 105's at 3287 too.

Handles the wind and puts the coyotes down DRT !

Ditto on what SevenBat said... the 115 is a performer !
grin.gif

I have three different rifles chambered in 6XC. All have been chambered with the same reamer. Two have 8 twist barrels. The other one has a 7.5 twist. I use H4350 and the SMK 107's in the 8 twist barrels. H4831SC in the 7.5 twist with the DTAC 115's. All are extreemly accurate. Norma 6XC brass with 210M primers. The two 8 twist barrels shoot different loads of H4350. MV is 2900 out of one, 3000 out of another amd 3000 out of the 7.5 twist. Execellent round.

Ed

I use H4350 mainly with the 115's. But I have a 20" barrel that realy like RL17.Generally use CCI Br2's because a have a whole bunch of them. My 20 inch barrel just started coppering again at about 1200 rounds.I like the XC but I am now a 243 believer.
More potenial speed, better brass, or cheaper brass, slower burning powder, and I don't believe the 243 burning RL25 is giving up any barrel life to the XC.
Dustin Morris

SevenBat,

I'll agree with that statement. I swithched to the Redding dies as soon as they came out!

H4350 is THE powder of choice for the 6XC. You can use Varget but I dont get the same velocities as I get with H4350 before hitting pressure I dont like.

Re17 works as well and will push the heavy bullets at speeds that rival the 243, etc.

Its an extremely easy cartridge to load for and get shooting really well. I have loaded and shot well over 20,000 rounds of it so far in the several years I have been running the cartridge. Bbl life aint bad, even on a cross course rifle where you are torching the bbl during rapid fire strings. I run my full course bbls for 2,000 rounds then move them over to short course duty to 3000 rounds and then 200 yard practice till around 4000 rounds then pull them. They will usually still run 1moa at that point but not for 22 rounds though.

You can also run Data 85/Ramshot hunter if you want to use slick metering ball powder and I have also noticed it seems to be easier on the throat erosion.

Brass - sorry but I could never get the Norma/Tubb brass to work the way I prefer, nor could I get the Schneider bbls in 6XC to work without getting unnecessary pressure. I use nothing but 22-250 Winchester brand parent cases and fire form them during practice. I have several batches with over 20 firings on them. Just bump the shoulders back .003 and they keep right on going. Keep the loads sane and it takes a long time to wear out the pockets.

Primers. Pretty much anything, but I prefer Wolf LRM or Fed 210M.

Bullets. The 107SMK is great, of course. The 115 DTAC is good, but I just never fell for it. I tend to use Bergers now and have found the 80s for 200 and in to be great, the 90s are super too, the 108s are my bullet for the 300 yard stage and would be at 600 except I tend to use the 105VLD there, or if I am running faster then 1/8, the 115vld. VLDs are NOT that picky. I find that most of my bbls (I have my T2k bbls cut 20 at a time so they tend to act the same when I switch them out and seem to like the same loads most of the time) like 20 in, or 40 off. A quick ladder test will tell you what you need to know. My current 600 yard load is 39.2grs of H4350 with a 105VLD, .040 off, Wolf LRM primer and is good for 3050fps and doesnt lose any accuracy over a 22 shot string.

Yep, use the Redding competition dies with the neck bushing and the comp seating die. One set is all you will ever need.

Oh, and if you fire form 22-250, dont waste those rounds as they will shoot surprisingly well!

Now, keep in mind that all of my info is based on using the 6XC for XTC HP shooting. YMMV if you are doing some other type of shooting with it.

John