• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Anyone make a elevated hunting blind?

Hunter87

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2011
Connecticut
I'm toying with the idea of building a box blind in my back 5 acre field. The question is what's the best way to secure the legs into the soil as I would like for this to be a non permanent design for when I move. Also is all PT construction the way to go and I want to make this big enough for 2 people with room to stretch out. I have been to cabelas and see they sell a mounting kit for the floor to legs. Any photos or personal experience would help a ton.

Dan

Re: Anyone make a elevated hunting blind?

make it 4x6, big enough for two but good for one as well. As far as securing the blind you can do several thing the best for you would be to get a large truck/tractor tire fill with 400lbs of concrete run an eye bolt through and use a heavy duty strap.

you could even bury the the tire concrete if you wanted. I rolled a 1970's CAT engine block under mine and that works great.

if i get out to my farm tonight ill snap a pic of what we use for an elevated blind

I have one a purchased from a metal shed company. It was around 600 they will come put it up where you want it. It's held down with like a concrete spike. But I also used cable and the screw in type of hook that goes in the ground that holds up telephone polls. You can buy them at a farm store for around 8 dollars

We use scaffolding on a lot of our stands and build a box on top of it. To keep them from blowing over we drive t-posts in the ground a few feet deep along side each leg, then attach to the legs of the scaffolding with a large metal hose clamp. This seems to work very well. When you are ready to move it, you undo the hose clamps and with a few guys, move the stand onto a trailer and take it to the next spot.

Also, we have a lot of wooden box stands built on 4x4 or 6x6 legs that we just set in place, then drive 2x4 stakes in the ground and attach bracing from the stakes to the legs of the stand. This seems to work pretty well too, but we have had more wooden stands with that setup get blown over than the scaffold stands with the t-posts attached.

A rancher put this together for me to shoot coyotes from.
Now I do not have to sneak in walking a 1/3 mile loop to get over his dead pile & valley they all feed into w/out getting busted. The inside is 2 of those giant bales wide and 2 high all around & 3 high in back to bust up my outline against the sky. Works perfectly & took about 15 min total.
2013coyotes011_zps4ff2cf1d.jpg

So for the people who made these from wood is all pressure treated the way to go or just PT for legs and exterior sheathing and regular wood for internal framing?

Just use treated lumber on parts exposed to the weather. Treated is more expensive and heavier than framing lumber and doesn't benefit you if it isn't exposed.

I used four 4x6 posts for a base, tied them together with 2x8s and sunk them below frost line, set in concrete. Notched them to fit the 4x4 posts of my stand and tied them to the stand legs with 4x6 cross beams.

If you have squirrels in your area DON'T use plywood. Squirrels eat that stuff like candy. I put a plywood roof and shingles on. Little bastards started chewing the edges of the roof. I had to put hardware cloth on the sofits to keep em out.

Look up shadow hunter blinds, they have riser kit that makes it easy along with some great windows.

I've been eyeing those riser kits for a long time and plan to go that route.

Dan we have about 30 4x6 boxes all elevated . We used 4x4's as risers with 2x4's doing everything else. Sides are made of plywood that has siding on outside. We cross brace the legs with 2 bys in an"x". We do not sink them in the ground at all. All stands have over lapping tin roofs and 6 plexiglass windows . Take the stand to your site. Add the lathing for roof, screw tin in place on site. Use a 4 wheeler, tractor or pickup to help lift with the aide of 3 or 4 buddies. At the base of 4x4's use 2x6 lumber to rotate around the base. 10' stuff on6' sides and 8' on 4' sides. You start at one corner and work your way around the base until you each 2x6 sticking out 4' each direction. You have to level the stand before putting these bottoms "feet" on. The feet go firmly on the ground. We then used a metal fence post that we welded a "u" brace on the go over the 2x6 when post is placed in ground. All lumber is treated just because they do sweat and get wet at times. These have been up for 8 years now with not a single on ever turning over. If interested let me know and I'll take some pics . They work great. Carper floor, swivel office chairs life is good.

Here is the post I did on my elevated box blind I built last year.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...600#Post3541600

After all of the money and time I put into it, I only sat in it for 2 hours opening morning of gun season before I had my buck on the ground. Honestly, if I was to do it again I would make the legs and platform the same and just purchase a Shadow Hunter blind to sit on top of it. Much easier and less money...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5spd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A rancher put this together for me to shoot coyotes from.
Now I do not have to sneak in walking a 1/3 mile loop to get over his dead pile & valley they all feed into w/out getting busted. The inside is 2 of those giant bales wide and 2 high all around & 3 high in back to bust up my outline against the sky. Works perfectly & took about 15 min total.

</div></div>

Had a flashback of all the bale forts we made as kids.

Thanks </div></div>

Ahhh the good ol days of being covered in mites.

So I think I'm going to get those elevators for the base and floor.
Going t use 2x6 PT for floor and thinking of doing 2x3 for walls and roof and treating them w/ pt. also gong to make everything a modular design , build at home and assemble in woods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5spd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A rancher put this together for me to shoot coyotes from.

</div></div>

a couple dudes got tickets out here in sd because its illegal to bait and they said because they moved the bales in from elsewhere it was considered baiting....what a joke don't you think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Teamor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5spd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A rancher put this together for me to shoot coyotes from.

</div></div>

a couple dudes got tickets out here in sd because its illegal to bait and they said because they moved the bales in from elsewhere it was considered baiting....what a joke don't you think </div></div>
I called the CO DF&G to insure I was in the right a while back. You can shoot coyotes/fur bearers over dead cow piles & from blinds at them, perfectly legal. You can NOT shoot big game such as bear/lions over gut/deer/elk piles you put out intentionally for those animals.
You can take them if you shoot your big game animal like deer/elk etc. in season and gut it out in the field then may come back & shoot over that gut pile if you have your tags for such animal as it was not intentionally put there for lion/bear etc.