• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone measure run out with new Lapua brass?

Nessal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2009
CA
I found that new .308 brass out of the box had run out from .005"-.007". Anyone else found this to be true for them as well?

Re: Anyone measure run out with new Lapua brass?

I've never checked them straight out the box, as I always size and fully prep them as per usual routine..

Worry about any run-out AFTER you have done your prep, fire-forming should even things out anyway.

Get them loaded and go shoot
smile.gif

Once it's fire formed start worrying about run out

Only reason I was worrying was because I just wanted to prime, charge, seat without doing any brass work for their first firing. I had great results with Win brass this way. I guess I'll just size these then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nessal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Only reason I was worrying was because I just wanted to prime, charge, seat without doing any brass work for their first firing. I had great results with Win brass this way. I guess I'll just size these then. </div></div>

I've had some fantastic accuracy with new Lapua cases with minimal prep work - basically I just run a neck expander through and chamfer. I never bother full length resizing new cases.

Me three. I just neck size the brass and go. Hopefully it fixes some of it.

The problem with measuring new brass is the body of the case has dents or is slightly out of round from manufacturing, until the is fired and expanded to the chamber(which hopefully is concentric) those defects will show run out, Lapua is great brass, load n go and be happy.