• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone mistakenly put a 6mm ARC round in a 6.5 Grendel?

Yep I can see how this can be a serious issue should one lose focus. I’ve enjoyed the Grendel for years but have decided to eliminate the possibility of making that error and just play with the ARC. And it being a matter of just changing out the barrel (and verify head space), I ordered a 20” BA barrel and gonna run a SA piston set up (which is what I originally want to do when I jumped into 6mm ARC). With the increase of velocity over the Grendel, I’m really enjoy shooting the 6mm arc round and looking to do a bolt gun here in the near future.

Reactions: JM4590
Yep I can see how this can be a serious issue should one lose focus.
I don't know if it's that serious. People have been accidentally shooting smaller diameter wildcat rounds in the parent chamber for years. It's not good, but it's not that bad either. I wouldn't let owning one keep you from owning the other.
They are visually quite different also.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
image.jpg

Not an issue when using brass specific to that cartridge but when loaded in brass with the same head stamp, it’s not as easy as a .243/.308. I’ve not taken the Grendel out since I got into the ARC and am pretty sure I would have chosen the 6mm just for the better velocity. I do like to think I wouldn’t make such a mistake but have seem my “sharpness” slip as I get older and both being so similar, I’ve chosen to just stick with the 6mm ARC. I still haven’t got the ARC to group as tight as the Grendel but it’ll get there.

Reactions: JM4590
No, I could tell from the recoil impulse something was up plus it was bout 300fps low on chrono. The shoulder datum & neck dimensions are the same so it had to seal the chamber, the upper half the case just expanded bout 0.025 total at shoulder diameter upon fireform.

IMG-20230604-WA0025.jpeg
IMG-20230604-WA0027.jpeg
this happened to me last week! 6.5Creedmoor round fired in a 6.5 PRC. Luckily I was wearing my shooting glasses and only felt some debris hitting my face. This was in a Sako 85 rifle extractor blew off, and magazine came apart, everything was able to get put back together and only minor damages to my rifle and none to myself. Lesson learned

Reactions: wade2big
View attachment 8159456View attachment 8159457this happened to me last week! 6.5Creedmoor round fired in a 6.5 PRC. Luckily I was wearing my shooting glasses and only felt some debris hitting my face. This was in a Sako 85 rifle extractor blew off, and magazine came apart, everything was able to get put back together and only minor damages to my rifle and none to myself. Lesson learned
yep, that’ll get your attention.

There was a guy at work (early 20s) who said he was really into guns and wanted to post reviews and whatever on YouTube and gain a following. So we started talking a little bit and he showed me his 6-8” 50 yard group that he was proud of. I made sure not to be a dick or anything, but asked him what he was shooting. It was some kind of AR chambered in 223. But he said he was shooting some other caliber in it (don’t remember what). I asked him why and he responded “because it fits.”…… I don’t think he will get a YouTube following anytime soon

• Wow
Reactions: carbonbased
I have done the opposite OP. Was trying to chamber Grendel into my 6ARC bolt gun. When the bolt couldn’t be closed, I thought I had something fucked up in my rifle. Nope. Just the idiot behind the trigger. Coulda been bad….real bad. Thankfully it wasn’t. From that range trip forward, I take one or the other caliber to the range, but never both. Silly mistake that could have cost me an eye or worse. First firearm mistake in a really long time. Like probably 30 years. But just shows shit can happen if you get complacent.

Around deer season, I’ve picked up 300 WM brass at the local range that had been blown out in a 300 weatherby chamber. Bet the guy thought his gun was spraying bullets all over. Probably got his deer too, never realizing his error.

I’ve got 270 win and 30-06, 6.5 G and 224 pred (Grendel), 5.56 and 300 BO, and 7mm rem mag and 300 weatherby. It’s a wonder I ever shoot the right cartridges… 🤣

Last edited:
Once only I managed to mix 30-30 and 32 Win Special up. The 30-30 fire forms to the 32 real nice like.

I fired a 10mm cartridge from my S&W 4506 one time. Had help from a 2nd party who loaded the mag for me. Was the last of 8 in the mag.
Still was in the black at 25yds only the bullet was flying sideways.
Far as I can tell no damage. Fed thousands of rounds after that. These guns are damn near indestructible.

Sent a 6 CM down a 6.5 CM. Everything seems fine. Only shot 1 shot then when looking at the box I noticed it was missing the .5 so I have 19 rounds to get rid of lol

Similar to others on here, I once sent half a box of 223 WSSMs down a 243 WSSM barrel. That middle digit makes all the difference and is easy to miss sometimes. Needless to say, the results were lots of missed coyotes and keyholes at 25 yards after I thought the scope got knocked out of whack. Much better than going the other way though trying to stuff a bigger bullet/cartridge into a smaller bore/chamber.

A guy I used to work with fired a .303 British out of his 7mm Remington Magnum. He didn’t even own a rifle in .303 either. Somehow the .303 round made it in with his 7mm rem mag ammo and I believe made it into his Tikka mag. I went and tried it and sure enough, a .303 Brit will fit nicely in a Tikka mag. I did a search online because I felt he was probably the first guy in the world to fire a .303 British in a 7mm Rem mag rifle…..nope.

• Wow
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
This thread should be titled, "the dumbest shit I stuffed into my rifle chamber" and I'm not pointing fingers, cuz I'm guilty. I now keep my test loads more segregated when going to the range when they're of very similar case dimensions to hopefully keep my face intact.