• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone necking down 6.5 Creedmoor Lapua brass to 6mm?

Lofty

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2008
Lenexa KS
My new rifle build starts next week, my smith has a brand new reamer for the Lapua brass necked down to 6MM CM.

Anyone done this yet, have any suggestions on where to start for powder charge? I plan on shooting the 110 SMK's. I was thinking of starting around 40.5 grains of H4350 and working my way up from there.

Any info would be appreciated.

Shooting 42.2 grains of RL26 out of a 26 inch 6mm Lapua. Using 115s going 3065 fps with no pressure. H4350 gave pressure signs way way way before that speed. Go slower and u will get much more barrel life. I'd step down to 41 gr of RL26 and start there.

Thanks for the info. That does seem odd. My 6MM XC gets 3065 fps with 115s and 40.6 grains of 4350 with no pressure. I'd have thought the creedmoor could get more.

Thanks for the info. That does seem odd. My 6MM XC gets 3065 fps with 115s and 40.6 grains of 4350 with no pressure. I'd have thought the creedmoor could get more.

Barrels can be pretty individual. The creedmoor has more capacity than the XC, so generally speaking it should be faster by a tick.

How are your primer pockets holding up, at 3065fps with a 115, you're building a significant amount of pressure.

How are your primer pockets holding up, at 3065fps with a 115, you're building a significant amount of pressure.

I'm on my 3rd firing and primer pockets are tight, no sticky bolt, no ejector swipes, no primer flow.

I'm running 40.6 grains og H4350.

It is a ga8n twist barrel, it that makes a difference.

I'm on my 3rd firing and primer pockets are tight, no sticky bolt, no ejector swipes, no primer flow.

I'm running 40.6 grains og H4350.

It is a ga8n twist barrel, it that makes a difference.

Good deal on the pockets, carry on, I'm running a 105 hybrid in front of 38.9gr of N550 for 3070fps.