• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone need a McMillan Return Stock

I get your point,but at the same time i’ll repeat an oft repeated phrase “they’re not making them anymore”.
I’ve owned a return stock but I wouldn’t pay that much personally.
I wouldn’t sweat it too much about setting the benchmark price for return stocks,but rather see it as at least two people with the money to spend who absolutely must have it.

I get your point,but at the same time i’ll repeat an oft repeated phrase “they’re not making them anymore”.
I’ve owned a return stock but I wouldn’t pay that much personally.
I wouldn’t sweat it too much about setting the benchmark price for return stocks,but rather see it as at least two people with the money to spend who absolutely must have it.
They're not making them with that history anymore. They are still making them.

Added: I needed to state the obvious. These guys are buying the history more so than just the stock.

Last edited:
I see people bragging about bullshit they don't need and can't use worth a shit for a lot more than that on these forums. At least this stock has some relevant history behind it. A lot of you dumbasses just live in the moment like my cat. M700?, M40? M40A1? WTF?

I see people bragging about bullshit they don't need and can't use worth a shit for a lot more than that on these forums. At least this stock has some relevant history behind it. A lot of you dumbasses just live in the moment like my cat. M700, M40? M40A1? WTF?
Us dumbasses??? Whose the guy(?) with the cat? No matter how hard you kick a cat they never go as far as a football...:rolleyes:

Try getting my crazy cat off your neck? He's fucking insane.

They’ve went up for sure, think I paid $800 for the one I had, weren’t they originally like $200 from McMillan?

I was the 1st one to bid on it... but I will not be the last lol
My return smear is much nicer than that one and cost a lot less, 10+ years ago.

Reactions: J McGriddle
No one likes to admit it but the market for return smears is around 3k for the right stock. That is not presumption either. I expect this one on ebay (regardless of how beat up it is and missing bottom metal) to go over 3k just because of the watchers and how difficult it is for many to locate one of these.

I thought it would bring $3500. So a M40A1 stock sells for $3050 and 150 of them were released, at the same time 15 A4 stocks were released. Being that there were only 15 released, wonder what those will sell for? The following is a HEAVILY redacted transfer request from the PWS that shows the quantities.

22 Jan 07
To: Supp Weap Batt
Subj: REQUEST TRANSFER OF M40A1/M40A3 RIFLE STOCKS
Ref: MCO P440
1. Request DD FORM 19 for (150) M40A1 and (15) M40A3 Sniper Rifle McMillan rifle stocks Part Number 28638 to be shipped to manufacturer to be used as credit for future stock purchases.
2. Attached is a letter from McMillan Fiberglass Stocks dated 2 January, 2006 outlining the companies agreement for credit on the above mentioned rifle stocks.
3. Weight per stock 4 Lbs. Total weight (165 stocks) is 660 Lbs. Unit Price: $150.
4. Point of contact

Reactions: sandwarrior
I thought it would bring $3500. So a M40A1 stock sells for $3050 and 150 of them were released, at the same time 15 A4 stocks were released. Being that there were only 15 released, wonder what those will sell for? The following is a HEAVILY redacted transfer request from the PWS that shows the quantities.

22 Jan 07
To: Supp Weap Batt
Subj: REQUEST TRANSFER OF M40A1/M40A3 RIFLE STOCKS
Ref: MCO P440
1. Request DD FORM 19 for (150) M40A1 and (15) M40A3 Sniper Rifle McMillan rifle stocks Part Number 28638 to be shipped to manufacturer to be used as credit for future stock purchases.
2. Attached is a letter from McMillan Fiberglass Stocks dated 2 January, 2006 outlining the companies agreement for credit on the above mentioned rifle stocks.
3. Weight per stock 4 Lbs. Total weight (165 stocks) is 660 Lbs. Unit Price: $150.
4. Point of contact
So, what is the $150 for the stock and who pays it when? Original cost way back when? Cost to unit to send refurbed/recovered stock?

Interesting as we had a W-2 in our BN that handled stuff for BN. I just wonder how it gets accounted down at the company level.

I don't think the A4 stocks will bring the same money. I know some have because fools have money but they are still produced and the OD color isn't very unique. The actual painted ones draw money but I don't think they are at the A1 level yet. The A1's are all like finger prints. Each is unique and different. When we see the Schmidt benders and premiers hitting the market, I think people will get excited again. There are more stocks on the market than just what was released. You know it and I know it. I would say be thankful for what you have and always be ready to leap on a good deal.

Reactions: Pinmaster
I agree with Bates762.

I do not see the A4's bringing the A1 smear kind of money in the current "collector" market that we are in right now. Are the return A4's cool? For sure!

I also agree that there are more than the 15 A4 issued stocks floating around; the only ones that I have seen were not in the 15 that were included in the batch mentioned above. I had a lead on one in 2018 but the collector was not ready to let it go yet… So I picked up two new stocks and I am having them built into A3/A5’s. Would I put the money that I was willing to spend on a return A4 stock if one were to pop up this week? Maybe… but when my new stock rifles are done, I will not be putting “big money” into a return stock.

Stepping up on my soapbox for a minute, The huge issue that I see with collecting these types of “legit” issued items is that some the people that really know how to tell the real items from the repo’s are not very active on any websites. They were at one time but forum member rift’s caused several to stop sharing their knowledge. It is going to be really hard to support a “collector market” without the knowledge and legit items being available. Someone paid 3k for a return stock, great… but where will they find the real front swing swivel and if they spent 3k on the stock and want to finish it off with as many “real” parts as they can… where will they find them?

Mcmillan has wichita swivels. That isn't difficult. The only difficult parts to obtain for A1's is the stock, mount and scope. The scope can be supplemented for the weaver t10. There is plenty of knowledge out there, you just have to ask. A3/a5's parts can all be procured commercially. The trigger being the exception but still not unobtainable.

I was focusing on the A1 parts. I did not know that McMillan had the swivels.
Unertl mount, receiver, and the green redfield scope will be the hard finds unless you are willing to go with a repo or commercial parts. CMP has the scopes right now so that is easier. I understand that all/most of the A3/A5 parts are easier. The DD Ross scope base is hard part to find (for me), I have two of the correct triggers they are getting harder to find, but yes they do pop up.

Reactions: Itsadryheat
The green red fields were used on the m700 (m40). Some were used on early transitional a1's but it isn't the main optic.
Badger has scope bases unless you must have a dd ross base.

Couple of weeks ago this stock came available. I like the stocks with alot of character and use marks over the new out of the mold McMIllans. Seems like the $3600 Remington chassis has set the new price threshold for other USMC Sniper stocks.

5D1DBCAE-0C2D-43CE-B650-0D3A77CF6205.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: wyosniper
This stock also came with bolt, mount, rings etc. Pretty sure it never sold either on eBay. The post was removed. Seemed like a good way to attract NCIS to me.

Damn, I missed out on an M40A1 clone with one of those return stocks on it for $1885 USD. Sure wish I had snagged it. Could have sold off the stock, picked up a new made HTG stock and had money left over!

WOW... the last 1 I sold for 1200 and thought it was a bunch. Still have one, on a rifle, numbers matching.... not letting it go anytime soon.

I can remember the day these came available; should I buy 2, 6, 50...... I bought two...

WOW... the last 1 I sold for 1200 and thought it was a bunch. Still have one, on a rifle, numbers matching.... not letting it go anytime soon.

I can remember the day these came available; should I buy 2, 6, 50...... I bought two...
Just remember there's a bunch of us that didn't buy ANY... D'oh!

Reactions: D_TROS
I had no idea these had gone up so much. I'm original buyer of numbers matching non smear. Wonder what its worth.

I had no idea these had gone up so much. I'm original buyer of numbers matching non smear. Wonder what its worth.
Numbers matching is a plus. Non-numbers matching sold for $1999 according to the link above. The OP posted a link in which a numbers matching sold for just over $3K.

So, yeah, $3K-ish, if you get word around it's selling and the right buyers are looking on auction.

I’ve owned a couple of them. Still have 1 Smear pattern.

$1200 is about typical going price for them. When McMillan first kicked them out to the public you glcoule get them for a couple hundred bucks. I guess the fact that McMillan and Major Land signed it is why the price is up there in the 3k range. I wouldn’t pay that but it’s obvious some will.

I got one, I guarantee i wouldn’t let it go for under $4k, it’s almost impossible to find one for sale. I waited 5 years of searching to get my hands on one. I’ll probably just have TMA build it tho. In 5 years 3k will look cheap.

Attachments

• 5F414F0B-5095-4328-AE38-3A5755C2102C.jpeg
    5F414F0B-5095-4328-AE38-3A5755C2102C.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 174
I’ve had 4 return stocks. 2 GAP built M40A1’s. Got divorced, had to get rid of everything. Never sold a return stock for over $600. I’ve been searching for a return stock for a very long time now. Not gonna pay $2k though.

Anybody still looking for one of these? I have a smear, TMA bottom
Metal, original swivels, old style trigger, recoil lug from TMA, and a NOS pachmyr recoil pad.

edited for accuracy.

Last edited: