• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone on SH selling their handloads?

One_Man

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2009
Selma, Texas
I read that the best way to improve your groups is trigger time and using handloaded ammo. I just paid $93 for 3 boxes of Black Hills .308 and thats cheap compared to what local gunshops want for their ammo. Anyone here that loads .308 willing to sell me a few boxes of ammo if I send you some brass? Just curious.

Re: Anyone on SH selling their handloads?

i highly doubt that anyone will be willing to do that because of the liability involved with it. The only person i know of that can legitimately sell reloaded ammo on here is ChadTRG, other than that there are probably plenty of people who are willing to look over your shoulder and tell you what to do, but no one is going to load it and send it to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i highly doubt that anyone will be willing to do that because of the liability involved with it. The only person i know of that can legitimately sell reloaded ammo on here is ChadTRG, other than that there are probably plenty of people who are willing to look over your shoulder and tell you what to do, but no one is going to load it and send it to you. </div></div>

The liability part wouldn't worry me but the BATFE might have a problem with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i highly doubt that anyone will be willing to do that because of the liability involved with it. The only person i know of that can legitimately sell reloaded ammo on here is ChadTRG, other than that there are probably plenty of people who are willing to look over your shoulder and tell you what to do, but no one is going to load it and send it to you. </div></div>

The liability part wouldn't worry me but the BATFE might have a problem with it. </div></div>

you must have a hell of a insurance policy

There are a lot of people in Texas to help you out to learn to reload. Were are you located.

Seriously, you have to have a license or something to sell reloaded ammo? How is it any more dangerous than buying a box of Wolf? What about gun shows where vendors sell their reloads. I'm just asking because I dont know. It would be nice if someone with all the reloading knowledge that i dont have could sell some of their good handloads. I just can't set up a reloading shop...my wife would not get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, you have to have a license or something to sell reloaded ammo? How is it any more dangerous than buying a box of Wolf? What about gun shows where vendors sell their reloads. I'm just asking because I dont know. It would be nice if someone with all the reloading knowledge that i dont have could sell some of their good handloads. I just can't set up a reloading shop...my wife would not get it. </div></div>

Where in Texas are you? I can see in your signature you have a .308. If that is what you're looking to reload I have all of the necessary equipment, if you're close enough to the greater Houston area feel free to come on by and roll your own if you purchase the components.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, you have to have a license or something to sell reloaded ammo? How is it any more dangerous than buying a box of Wolf? What about gun shows where vendors sell their reloads. I'm just asking because I dont know. It would be nice if someone with all the reloading knowledge that i dont have could sell some of their good handloads. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">I just can't set up a reloading shop...my wife would not get it.</span></span> </div></div>

I hear you on that. It was like that with me. Then I told her how much money I can save by reloading. It was a no brainer after that. If that doesn't work, you can always tell her that the money saved from reloading, can be applied to something else that she wants to get in the future???

To sell reloads, you need a type 6 FFL. Otherwise, you could face charges on a GCA violation. A type 6 is only like $30 for three years, but you have the hassel of getting one, as well as the liability for the rounds you load.

You don't need to dedicate a room to reloading, there are plenty of portable options.

My understanding is, (and someone will point out if I am wrong Im sure) you can not sell reloaded ammo as a way of making money (ie: reload, sell, reload, sell, repeat)

Now, if you had like 500 rounds of let say .223 that you reloaded for your AR, and you sold your rifle or no longer needed those reloads, you could sell those rounds without needing a FFL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My understanding is, (and someone will point out if I am wrong Im sure) you can not sell reloaded ammo as a way of making money (ie: reload, sell, reload, sell, repeat)

Now, if you had like 500 rounds of let say .223 that you reloaded for your AR, and you sold your rifle or no longer needed those reloads, you could sell those rounds without needing a FFL. </div></div>

I was told that this was a gray area by the local ATFE office when I called. I sold an Enfield last month and had about 200 rounds of hand loads, when I sold the rifle I sold the dies and brass and the surplus ammo for it. I called the ATF to ask if I needed to disassemble the ammo since I no longer had the rifle and I was getting rid of all things 303 Brit. The agent said some don't bother, some say it's OK, some don't know.

Generally, it's not a good idea to be in that situation where it's a gray area with the ATF in my opinion. It took me 25 mins to pull the bullets out and save the powder for something else. I just sold the guy primed brass basically.

Park,

I am a type 1 (dealer) and type 6 (mfg of ammo) FFL. Basically, I can sell manufactured ammo. Technically you are not allowed to sell reloads without the proper license. Any type 6 or 7 FFL dealer can. Let me know if I can help you. Thanks!

BTW- thanks deadly!

Chad

You might want to have someone develop a load for your rifle. Lot's of rich dudes in H-town have it done. To develop a load one would need to have the rifle.

I personally would not shoot someone else's reloads. No Offense Chad. Yours look to be different due to obviously your using the weapon the rounds are going to be fired in. I don't think you can set up a good load without checking freebore and having cases that are fire formed to the chamber. IMHO. otherwise, you just have to load to spec. and that's not giving you any benefit. Just me, but some would call me crazy. LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I personally would not shoot someone else's reloads. No Offense Chad. Yours look to be different due to obviously your using the weapon the rounds are going to be fired in. I don't think you can set up a good load without checking freebore and having cases that are fire formed to the chamber. IMHO. otherwise, you just have to load to spec. and that's not giving you any benefit. Just me, <span style="font-weight: bold">but some would call me crazy</span>. LOL </div></div>

Crazy!

Chad, being a dealer, has gone through this. I just happened to find this today while looking something else up on the ATF website. If you are not doing it as a regular business, you can reload for people, provided you only receive compensation for the cost of the components. With the exception, if you are selling the brass new or used. Reloading for individuals is not considered manufacturing if you are only reloading their cases with powder, primers, and bullets. It becomes manufacture when cases are sold as reloaded complete cartridges. If you are doing it as a business to make money then you must get a manufacturers license.

Edit:

Bottom line here is if you want someone to reload for you PM ChadTRG. If you want to get into reloading, I can't understand why not ( ya gotta put your foot down on some things) check around on this board. Falar offered to do that and I believe Captain-kick-ass teaches it too. So, you've got one reload dealer and two people I can think of off the top of my head, in Texas that can teach you how. And how to save money doing it.

good luck

P.S. It pays to have really good liability insurance. It was just one little corner of that house I hit with that tree...
whistle.gif

After all, you are controlling a combustion at 55K-65K PSI less than 4" from your face! So, it can be a big deal. If it's not done properly, then shit will happen. But you have to follow very detailed information about the powders, primers and bullets that go into the case. It's not hard. But it freaks me out when I see or hear about people being well over max pressure, or loading ammo incorrectly.

A good buddy of mine blew up a TRG 42 300WM shooting hot hand loads. I told him he was hot, and he knew it, but "it shot awesome." 1500 rounds later on a 95 degree day and kaboom. It ballooned out at the chamber of the barrel, and knocked his scope off the rifle. The scope went high in the air and landed on his feet. The action and bolt held together perfectly. It ruined a NF scope, TRG base, magazine, and TRG 42 (about a $5K oops, plus the cost of a new one). This is what I think of that makes me pay attention to the details.

I'll get calls from guys saying I want you to load me up the fastest round possible and the most accurate. Well, sometimes those 2 things don't go hand in hand. My common response is I can't make magic happen, but I can generally find good accuracy. A target won't know that a bullet was traveling 50 fps slower than what it could have been. But you hit the target, and that's the idea.

I found that magic load. It will clean targets perfect like a lazer right up untill it breaks my sear. So far all that it's broken is the same jewell trigger twice. I don't use it anymore, but I do have 20 of them put away to try again when I get a new barrel.
Superior arms in Sturgis SD does load development, it's pricey, but they do good work.
How many people here would be interested in such a service?
You would have to send the rifle in order to have it done.
How much would you pay?
You would recieve; test target, load data, ballistics print from chrono, and a box of ammo.
Mr.Kirk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parkincense</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously, you have to have a license or something to sell reloaded ammo? How is it any more dangerous than buying a box of Wolf? What about gun shows where vendors sell their reloads. I'm just asking because I dont know. It would be nice if someone with all the reloading knowledge that i dont have could sell some of their good handloads. I just can't set up a reloading shop...my wife would not get it. </div></div>

If she saw how much money you saved loading your own ammo she would get it quick. Of course it wouls take a few hundred to start,but then the addiction starts.... But you save $$$ in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If she saw how much money you saved loading your own ammo she would get it quick. Of course it wouls take a few hundred to start,but then the addiction starts.... But you save $$$ in the long run. </div></div>

That's the arguement I used, and figure I have <span style="text-decoration: underline">AT LEAST</span> $5,000 in my reloading room. But I'm <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">SAVING MONEY</span></span></span>!!!

You can't buy handloaded ammo for the same reason you can't buy venison. Ammunition (and butchering) is subject to government regulation. If you want to to shoot handloads, learn to handload. No disrespect intended, thats just the way it is.

My solution to this was to work with a team. In order for this to happen, I had to start the team in the first plece.

The team approach allows expenses and equipment to be shared, along with knowledge. Soon, everyone gets good at it.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSPKurt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If she saw how much money you saved loading your own ammo she would get it quick. Of course it wouls take a few hundred to start,but then the addiction starts.... But you save $$$ in the long run. </div></div>

That's the arguement I used, and figure I have <span style="text-decoration: underline">AT LEAST</span> $5,000 in my reloading room. But I'm <span style="color: #CC0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">SAVING MONEY</span></span></span>!!! </div></div>

Doesn't she see that it keeps you at home and out of trouble?

It's worth adding that you can become somewhat OCD once you get the hang of it!! Chasing that last bit of accuracy will have you considering all sorts of gimmicky shit! I considered reloading for a side income, but the research I did showed it not to be worthwhile... Find a load that works & keep it.... that's the only way to save money reloading! Consistency = accuracy

***now just finding that sweet recipe for others rifles would be both fun & possibly profitable if you make a good name for yourself! Has my gears sppinning again! Need to find something to do with my time being recently retired....