• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone own a Grizzly G0709?

ken226

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2009
Washington
I have an old 13-1/2 x40 that looks to be very similar, but without a slide-out chip pan.

During clean-up, I'm tired if trying to get my hand and various other things up under the bed to clean out chips.

I'm thinking about putting a G0709 chip pan on my lathe, but I'm not certain if my pedestals are far enough apart. I have 41-3/4" between the pedestals.

How wide is the pull-out pan on the G0709?

I'm hoping someone here owns one and would be willing to give me the outside-to-outside measurements across the top of the vertical sidewalls, and the width of the front fascia.

Last edited:
That was my first inclination as well.

I modeled one in CAD and made a materials list, but the materials alone are close in cost to buying one from Grizzly.

Also, I dont have a sheet metal brake, and would end up having to mig weld the shear cut steel panels into shape, and then paint it. To be leak-proof, I'd need to weld along every seam.

I think it would be less costly overall to just buy one, and install it on some soft-close drawer slides.

Fabricating one is my plan B if the grizzly pan isn't doable.

I've been using a shop vac for years. If the grizzly pan width is less than the 41-3/4" of space I have available, it'll be an hour install. There's no reason not to do it.

I believe @forrestgump01, @Tac284 and @338RUM runner have one, if they're still around.

Last edited:
I have a 0709 and here is the width of the chip pan.....good luck with your project
E95862E9-C2F0-4AA9-899F-71DD68E274A0.jpeg

I have a 0709 and here is the width of the chip pan.....good luck with your projectView attachment 7518550

Great! Thank you for taking the time to measure that, it is very much appreciated.

Looks like it's going to fit fine, with 1/8" of clearance per side. There won't be enough space for the soft-close slides, but easily doable with some steel angle.

I went ahead and ordered the pan from Grizzly. I have some leftover PPG basecoat and clear from a Ducati and Triumph I painted a couple years ago. After I get it all assembled, I think I'll use up that old PPG on the stand, chip pans and backsplash shield.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: camocorvette
I have a 0709 and here is the width of the chip pan.....good luck with your projectView attachment 7518550

Just a quick follow up. I finished this project today. Thank you for the assistance.

Before:

The hole:

And after fitting the drawer, and new powdercoat.

While I had it apart, I installed a new set of Timken P5 tapered roller bearings in the spindle.

Last edited:
Man that looks great! Looks like it was made for that machine.....