• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone own/ed a Wby Vanguard Varmint Special in 308?

Given that it is the same exact rifle as any Howa heavy barrel in the same caliber, I would say that it should easily shoot sub MOA with the proper loads. Mine does.

Last weekend I did a seven group OCW for load development and not only came up with a five charge weight band that gave very consistent POI, they also gave very consistent 3 shot groups: .613, .620, .771, .610, .693

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it would be for hunting and informal range work.

I owned a 204 ruger once than sold it to fund other things. It was the one with the std weatherby style molded synthetic rather than the BC stock. From the factory the test target for 204 ruger was right about an inch maybe slightly less at 100yds, and it liked federal with sierra blitzking bullets I could get it to shoot under an inch easily.
I was planning on having someone free-floating it in a different stock and get it to shoot really good but than like I said decided I needed something else more. The Vanguard is a sweet action I may get a custom build done on a vanguard or Howa action in the future, especially for an elk gun. Lock time is slow(relitivly speaking) but if you hold properly through ignition it'll be accurate.

PS edit, one thing I like is the integral recoil lug. Nothing wrong with Remingtons using seperate lug and Savages are shining shooters now as well but I prefer 1 pc action with integral lug yet still be very much like a Remington.

Last edited:
Agree, many great features of Howa/Vanguard actions, and if not for the lack of smith's who do metric threads, I would expect alot of rifles to be built on them. Thanks.

Had a .243 (I know you said .308) that did well under 1moa. Integral lug, nice trigger, out - of - box accuracy, one-piece bolt. They have a lot to like.

They shoot too well to be considered a truck gun. Make nice entry level precision rigs.