• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Anyone owned a VCOG?

regency

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2007
Memphis, Tennessee
www.patwar.com
I have a KAC 14.5 Mod 2 rifle with no optic on it right now. I always loved ACOGs for the nice glass and the simple to use BDC reticle but hated the eye relief and wished I had a little more zoom... Is the 1-6 or 1-8 VCOG the answer? I own a 1-8 ATACR on a SR25 but feel it is a lot of glass/money for a AR15 optic...

Any draw backs to this optic? I heard some guys complain about weight and some complained about the diopter but it doesn't seem to be much heavier than other popular LPVO's once you add the mount in...

Free your soul from acog remnants, go vortex 1-6 or the newest 1-10

I agree with the above poster. Go with an LPVO.

There are so many good ones to choose from throughout the entire gamut of price point and quality.

Never owned, but got to play with the 1x-6x VCOG for a few months back in 2015-ish. Impressed the shit out of me. Heavy???... see slothlacrosse post below. I wanted to buy it, but Trijicon was/is very proud of them and even with a discount couldnt afford it. I think for the price point today, there are better options. But if you can get a great deal, i would.

Full disclosure... i am not a scope snob. If there was minor distortion around the edges or minor CA, I didn't notice. But then again, I don't go looking for it. If distortion and CA don't pop out at me during normal use, I don't let it twist my panties into my crotch. I was evaluating it for durability, tracking, ability to engage CQB to 600 yards...etc. It was the first LPVO that convinced me they could be run on entry weapons.

For anyone that wants to flame me... i was not really knowledgeable and into LPVO's back then, but this was the one that got my attention. No experience with the 1x-8x VCOG. Hope this helps.

Edit: slothlacrosse just jogged my memory... i was also testing the Trijicon TARS around the same time. I believe the TARS was the HEAVY optic and not the VCOG.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxwell
I used a 1-6x24 for a bit. My LVPO experience is limited to short stints with the VCOG and the Razor. I've never used them side by side, but I don't recall one being vastly superior to the other. Keep in mind, I'm just a dude who uses an ACOG most of the time and occasionally gets to use some other stuff, i.e. not an operator or competition shooter.

I'm not sure why people are getting wrapped around the axles about its weight. I never put it on a scale, but Trijicon lists the weight at 23.2 oz which is less than the Vortex Razor w/o mount and only 1 oz more than a Leupold Mark 6 in a Geissele mount.