• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone regret lasik?

corey4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2012
pittsburgh pa
I'm contemplating getting lasik. I can't stand wearing glasses and starting about 2 years my eyes are always dry from the damn contacts.

Has anyone had it done and have issues?

Reactions: Williamjvaccaro
Though technically I had PRK - the precursor to LASIK (long story on why and doesn't matter).

The only thing is it seems to make you need reading glasses a few years sooner - at least that what I was told when I had it done

Reactions: TheHorta
Did it at 55 when I couldn’t read my car’s GPS, speedometer or road signs.

After, everything at arms length and beyond is crisp and clear again. Just do it.

Reactions: TheHorta
I’m just sorry that I never did it. Now it’s too late. To busy paying for my kids school/soccer/college. Now I’m too old and I have cataracts that have just started. They tell me when the cataracts get worse, they will take them out and put little lenses in so I won’t have to wear glasses any more. I’m stuck with glasses until then. Just DO it!

Wife was like 1,000,000/1,000 with her eyesight. Blind as a fucking bat without glasses.

She went active duty, eventually got on the roster to get lasik back in 2009. Holding fucking 20/20 since now at the age of 38, almost 16 years later.

Zero regurtz.

MV5BMTIwMjA5ODc4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDEwOTg2._V1_UY1200_CR82,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

No ragrets. I would quite literally do the procedure once a month and I would pay for it annually if I had to. So fast. So effective. No questions asked 10/10 would do it again. I was 20/20 30 seconds after surgery and 20/15 ever since - going on 3 years. I had moderately bad vision and an astigmatism

Reactions: SilentStalkr
Best money I have ever spent. Without my glasses or contacts I could basically just see smudged colors before the surgery. I constantly threw pairs of contacts away, because they would screw with my eyes. I would go through a months supply of contacts in a week during allergy season. So I had to do something, because it was getting expensive going through contacts right an left. I had my surgery at the John Kenyon eye center. It was about $5000 at the time. I did the all laser version of Lasiks which made it a little more expensive, but they cut the corneal flap with a laser before the corrective surgery. Normally they use an oscillating blade to cut the corneal flap. My eyes did burn like a mother fucker the night immediately following the surgery. It felt like I had hot sand in my eyes. I took 4 ibuprofen and woke up the next morning with no pain and perfect vision, so it was worth it.

Though technically I had PRK - the precursor to LASIK (long story on why and doesn't matter).
I also had PRK at the time when I was shooting a fair amount of .308. Although there is a slight longer healing time ..I want to say 7-10 days; the opthalmologist recommended it specifically because recoil of higher calibers can disrupt the flap of Lasik (in PRK the cornea is scraped and it heals over on its own in about a week). I had a rare complication of slow healing and had to keep my eyes closed for 3 days...but that was 15 years ago and today still have better than 20/20 long distance. Operators get PRK for the above reason I believe - their have been many threads on this through the years. No regrets, Worth every penny.

Last edited:
Reactions: johnnycat
I've never needed it, but have friends that have never regretted it.
Two have said they feel like their night vision is slightly less?🤔
If I needed it, I wouldn't hesitate.

designer eye sight you can do it . yea though you walk into stuff close up , you can see the fine print on a scrap of paper at 500 yards now .

Reactions: Ravenworks
My brother had it done last week and he said it’s the best thing in the world. I have an appointment in two weeks.

Reactions: oneshot86
I had PRK close to 20 years ago. For a few reasons, but when your mom is an ophthalmologist and your wife is an optometrist you listen to what they advise.

Best money ever spent.

no complaints other than needing reading glasses that i didn't need when i had 20/400 vision.

Wish I would have done it at 18 and not 28. Been 7 years and still holding strong. I hated dealing with contacts while running the boat or dust at work. Glasses sucked for fogging up and looking through optics. My wife had it done at same time. Her eyesight was pretty bad and she’s had to have a touch up and is not at reading glasses some due to a stigmatism. Would spend the money in a heartbeat again.

I was thinking about doing it in one eye just so I can see close up.

Best thing I have ever done. 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in other after Lasik. Going on sixteen years now and vision has changed a little but can see distances clearly. Use reading glasses but a small price to pay for good distance vision.

Just had cataract surgery and vision is now 20/20 in both eyes. I should have done this three years ago when I first found out I had cataracts. No difficulty with driving at night either. My ZCO is clearer too!

Reactions: Rant Durden
My ex-wife got epilasik -- a day after the surgery the lens that they put on there pulled out the lens on one of her eyes and had to rush her in as she was screaming and passing out from pain. Even with that and the horrid recovery she had she still said it was worth it.

In fairness to the surgeon, he made it clear she was on the edge of even being a candidate for the procedure and warned recovery would be a beast and she may still need glasses afterwards. She was wearing coke bottles before and needed nothing after.

The only lingering side effect was poor vision at night from oncoming headlights (astigmatism?).

I'm going on 20 years on my Lasik, and I'm just now going to need reading glasses. That or get a tune up.
Some of the best money I've ever spent

Been wanting to do it for years. I wear contacts now set for what they call monovision. Durden, I would reccomend you try that with contacts. My right eye is distance, the left is close up reading. I got used to it before I got out of the eye doctors office. Others I know never did.

Reactions: Rant Durden
I had LASIK, July 2019, at 52 years old. I'd been extremely nearsighted (20/600) with a touch of astigmatism, since I was seven years old. My eyes were getting dry and the contacts were more irritating, every day. My opthalmologist undersold and overdelivered, with my surgery. I'm 20/20 in the left eye and 20/15, in the right. I have to say, it was the best money, I ever spent. I've yet to find any downside.

Last edited:
PRK. The healing and vision correction takes about a month. Cost me 5k. If I knew then how much better life is without glasses, i would have done it in my 20s, even if it cost me 50k. I get dry eyes in the morning. Squirt some gel in there, and good all day. Fucking love it!

Had it done in 2002. Still 20/20 and no reading glasses. I also take Preservision supplements morning and night religiously to keep my eyes healthy. Seems to be working so far.

Lazar and even lens replacement in both eyes.
Just do it.

Only pain is in the wallet.
Shop around for price it varies a lot.

Last edited:
Had lasik 5 years ago. I’d have it done every year if I had too. Best money I’ve ever spent

Just do it. And don't get the cheapest price in town. The opposite. Find the guy who does professional athletes. NOT the one who sponsors your local NFL/NBA/NHL team, the one who actually does the procedure to the guys playing on the field.

Make your right eye your 'reading' eye and your left your distance. The scope and the scan. This will be offered and I highly suggest the option and the eyes I suggest if you're a shooter. Thinks reticle, red dot, and sights.

Reactions: Johnny00K
Thanks for this thread. I'm 35 and about to go to an eye doctor for the first time since I was a small child. I've had perfect vision my entire life until 2 years ago or so. My right eye started going and I've had trouble seeing at distance and reading signs. Doing load work the other day in cold weather was really difficult, had a lot of trouble seeing the crosshairs and the target.

Best money spent as everyone else already said.
But I would add, check around and do your homework on where you go and what they suggest.

A good friend went to a “ cheap local “ doc and after 3 lasik surgeries on both eyes, still needed glasses.
I finally talked them into going where I did, my doc told them exactly what the first doc had done wrong, and explained how to correct it.
After 15 min of surgery they are now 20/20 for the first time in their life.

Reactions: kimbergoldmatch
Do it but don't skimp and don't use the guy advertising his new machine or "first 100 customer discount." But.. I wouldn't waste money on any "long term guarantee." I had mine done 20 yeas ago and paid an extra $1k for the guarantee. Needed a tune up about 10 years ago but the place is out of business and no one wants to re-do somebody else's work. Make an investment in your vision and enjoy everyday you get without glasses or contacts.

Last edited:
Just do it. And don't get the cheapest price in town. The opposite. Find the guy who does professional athletes. NOT the one who sponsors your local NFL/NBA/NHL team, the one who actually does the procedure to the guys playing on the field.

Make your right eye your 'reading' eye and your left your distance. The scope and the scan. This will be offered and I highly suggest the option and the eyes I suggest if you're a shooter. Thinks reticle, red dot, and sights.
Does that make a difference if you're left eye dominant?