• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone reload 762x54 with 308 bullets?

pacomdiver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2008
SE PA
I tried to reload 308 bullets in my x54 cases with my rcbs FL dies and swapped out to a 308 stem and ball from my 06 dies to size the neck but it still wont hold the bullets snug, they are loose enought to turn when loaded. what do you do to load them?

eta : i know x54's use .311 bullets normally but i need to load 308's for one of my finn mosins

Re: anyone reload 762x54 with 308 bullets?

the bore on one of my fin mosins is .3085, hence my reason for loading 308's in the x54. i already have loaded 100's of 310 and 311 for my other mosins.

Do you have a universal 30 cal neck sizing die? My dad scrounged one from somewhere and he's been using that.

If you take the expander out and run the brass through the die so it's only sized down, what does it come out at? If there's an acceptable neck tension from just doing that, you can try putting a 7mm ball on the end of the decapping stem to hold the pin in place and just run the necks.

I hesitate to think that the expander ball is making the neck loose, but it's just a thought.

No offense meant about the bore size, I've seen the question enough times to ask that first before I offer any other suggestions.

the brass im using (ppu because its like 90% of the x54 i have) must be thin at the neck, ive tried the 30 cal neck sizer and using the fl without the expander and they both come out at 305 or 306,im gonna try some of the others i have (S&B and some win cases)and see what they size to

Am I getting that right, the ID of the neck is 305 to 306 when the expander is off?

If that's it, you might try just using the 7mm or smaller ball and running them like that instead. If you measure a small diameter hole with calipers will end up with a slightly small measurement. It's probably about 1 thousandth shy so you're in the 306-307 range.

Will it hold them snug then?

Try sizing the cases with no expander ball. Use a Lee universal decap die first.
The FL size the cases or neck size as you desire and see how much small the neck ID is. Seat a bullet. It it seats harder than you want reinsert the expander and set it to no open up the neck all the way down. What this does is just snug the bullet a little on the bottom of the sized portion.

Has 7.62x54R become so expensive that it's even worth reloading?

bohem, it holds them but not snug, ill load some up and try them. ill fill the mag and shoot them and measure the coal of the bottom ones to see if they are walking out

hummer, did you even read any of the posts before you replied? what you said was already discussed

downzero, my finn barreled mosin which has a 3085 bore is what im trying to load the 308's for, the commercial x54 is loaded with 310 or 311 bullets which dont shoot as accurate as id like it too, hence me reloading for it . bulgarian heavy ball shoots(the most accurate so far) an average 2" 5 shot groups at 100. my 91/30 ishvesk pu sniper(real one not a fake century build) shoots 1" 5 shot groups at 100

bohem,it was my ppu brass screwing me, i tried it with 10 each of the nny(wolf gold), s&b, and winchester, the nny sizes to 305-306, s&b sizes to 304-305 and the win sized to 303-304, so ill try some of each and check them with a micrometer for coal to see if they walk out under recoil

Good the hear you found the cause. Who makes the PPU brass? I'm pulling a blank right now adn I think I have several hundred pieces of it, I used to know who's it was but you know how that goes..

If you feel like going whole hog, Lapua makes 7.62x54 brass.

prvi partizan,its made in serbia they made the wolf gold series when it first came out, as the cases that came out of the wolf boxes were stamped ppu, but the newer wolf ones are stamped nny and they still say made in serbia on the box, so maybe they just changed the headstamp for the wolf line

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">prvi partizan,its made in serbia they made the wolf gold series when it first came out, as the cases that came out of the wolf boxes were stamped ppu, but the newer wolf ones are stamped nny and they still say made in serbia on the box, so maybe they just changed the headstamp for the wolf line </div></div>

NNY = PPU

NNY is simply PPU in the cryllic alphabet.
smile.gif
Its still prvi!

DZ, it's the difference between shooting ball and match ammo, 3 inches or 1 inch.

I have a Finn that is dangerous to shoot with .312".

The bullets will swage down into the tight bore without a pressure spike, but the neck is so tight that it makes a big pressure spike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DZ, it's the difference between shooting ball and match ammo, 3 inches or 1 inch. </div></div>

I'm impressed that an old Mosin will come anywhere near that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Agent Ronin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pacomdiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">prvi partizan,its made in serbia they made the wolf gold series when it first came out, as the cases that came out of the wolf boxes were stamped ppu, but the newer wolf ones are stamped nny and they still say made in serbia on the box, so maybe they just changed the headstamp for the wolf line </div></div>

NNY = PPU

NNY is simply PPU in the cryllic alphabet.
smile.gif
Its still prvi! </div></div>

You were close on the headstamp, but no banana. That is "pi" "pi" not "NN" the letter is related to the greek letter "pi" and isn't an "N" or "n"

&#1055;&#1055;&#1059; &#1087;&#1087;&#1091; or "peh peh ooh" = PPU
"Prvi partizan Užice"
"&#1055;&#1088;&#1074;&#1080; &#1087;&#1072;&#1088;&#1090;&#1080;&#1079;&#1072;&#1085; &#1059;&#1078;&#1080;&#1094;&#1077;"
Užice is the city they are in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prvi_Partizan
http://www.prvipartizan.com/index.php

*edit*
well, I tried. The cyrillic didn't stay encoded. Look at the wiki page for the cyrillic.

I use 308 bullets in my 7.62X54R using the same method you use and for the same reason. I've never had any problems. All of my brass is Norma. Glad you found your probelm

Most 91/30 and M44 rifles do poorly with .308 bullets compared to how well they shoot with the Sierra .311" 180 gr pro hunter SPT #2310.

Some Finnish M39 barrels do better with the .308" bullets.

The 7.62x54R reamer from Manson with the floating pilot can be fitted with a .300" pilot and the 91/30 action can be rebarrelled with a .308" groove barrel. I have done this.