• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Reload cases from linked 7.62?

nad1967

Wrangler
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2005
Tacoma, WA
A few of my friends were saying it's worthless... the Lake City stuff looks good to me, any issues?

Re: Anyone Reload cases from linked 7.62?

Brass gets worked pretty hard in a chain gun.
I would not hesitate to use it in a battle rifle, but would think twice about using it for precision reloads.

YMMV

No offense here but your friends are retarded or don’t know what they are talking about. LC brass is good brass. It’s not Lapua but I would say it on par with Remington and its better then Federal. It’s not the same specs as .308 win. It is thicker then most commercial to with stand longer storage periods and with stand harsher environments. There may be more of a variation in weigh with LC then most commercial brass, but you will get more loadings out of it. You can also buy it on the cheap in large volume, and sort it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few of my friends were saying it's worthless... the Lake City stuff looks good to me, any issues? </div></div>
Make sure you inspect the rims of the cases for any damage as machine type guns sometimes bend and gouge the rims where their heavy extraction has engaged. It can cause extraction problems sometimes if your rifles extractor lines up on some damage.

A friend of mine had a heck of a time with it. It worked for me reasonably well after removing the crimp. There was more than usual neck divits and such. I used it for a time and put it in my project box for another day.

Scott

In the 1960s a government inspector took home an M60 and let us shoot it [it said Colt on the side] and gave us a case of linked 308.

We got a Sav99 in 308.

We took apart the links.
Every 5th round was a tracer, and we threw it away.

My brother could shoot 1" groups with the non tracer ammo at the range.
Grown up men with NRA jackets helped adjust the open sights.
That looked like cop uniforms and scared me, as I was worried we would get caught with government ammo.
I remember one grown up guy with the jacket said, "That kid can shoot better with open sights than I can with a scope. That ammo is incendiary. Look at the sparks behind the target."

Belt fed weapons are notoriously hard on brass due to timing issues and designed loose chambers. You will more than likely need to small base resize it to get it to run but other than that it should be good to go. Inspect it as you reload it, toss anything that looks wierd.

LC also has less internal volume due to the thicker webb as was stated above. Decrease your load volumes accordingly.

Oh yeah, gotta remove the crimps too.

Cheers,

Doc

When you say not the same spec, only thing different is internal volume due to case wall thickness?

The issue is stretched case base walls. Machine guns are headspaced long, to reduce jams and misfeeds, and are notoriously hard on their brass.

You can test for this (after f/l resizing) using the paperclip test.

Straighten out a paperclip for two curves, bend a right angle (about 1/16" long) in the end, and use the tip to scrape along up and down the inside of the case for about the bottom 3/4". If the tip catches in a groove running around the inside circumference, the case is looking at a case head separation fairly soon and should be recycled as scrap brass.

Greg

I bought about 1K of the MG fired stuff when Midway had it a few years ago, most was LC and the rest was another .mil headstamp that I don't remember. I saved about 600 pieces out of the thousand as much of it was way out of spec, stretched considerably and would not resize well in the two dies I have for .308. What I did save took a lot of work to get prepped to load, and I don't know if I would trust the stuff past another loading or not. M14 types are hard on brass as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you say not the same spec, only thing different is internal volume due to case wall thickness? </div></div>

Kind of, The base or "web" of the case is significantly thicker on militay brass to prevent case head seperation. The byproduct is less internal volume. That being said you can run them harder w/o pressure to the gun w/ less powder. BOLT GUNS ONLY, gas guns still operate off port pressure.

Cheers,

Doc