• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone Rit dye a KRG Bravo yet? I'm about to try

A-Rob

Hermit
Minuteman
May 2, 2017
Old FL
I have a FDE Bravo that I've painted. It's OK but I like to tinker. People dye Magpul polymer all the time so I figured I'd try it on the stock. I just need to deep clean it and get all traces of paint off and figure out a hot water tank system that will hold everything. Anyone try dyeing any of the KRG polymer? I'm going for something close to Magpul OD.

Test 1

9C0CA2AF-E780-408D-9494-0CCACC35E715.jpeg

The polymer will definitely take the dye. It will show the original color if you take a knife to it but it won't transfer to paper after scrubbing. I think the color is a very close match to Magpul OD. The Aervoe on the other side took the dye perfectly too for whatever that's worth.

Reactions: camocorvette
Nice. I look forward to your results

Thanks. I've got a lot of paint to get out of nooks and crannies. The Aervoe actually came off easily but the Krylon Fusion has been a real bitch. It leaves a very thin layer of color that really does seem to be fused to the surface of the polymer. I've hit it with everything from Citristrip to brake cleaner and it's slow going. I can say that I haven't come across any chemical yet that will damage the plastic (I won't chance Jasco or similar). It is very tough.

I imagine it will be similar to dying nylon or other synthetic carpet fibers. There is an optimum temperature that the synthetic accepts dye. Nylon's temp is around 178*, thus why hot coffee will stain nylon carpet if brewed at the proper 192*then poured and promptly spilled.

It definitely won't take the dye well at low temp. Keeping the water at just below boiling seemed perfect with a soak time of 5 minutes. I have a deep roasting pan that will hold everything, I just have to make sure everything goes in and comes out at the same time. I'll try to fabricate some sort of dipping rack tomorrow and hopefully get it done over the weekend.

Never tried this with the Fusion, but it took off Krylon and other brands of rattle can paints. I bought it at Wal-Mart, in the automotive section. This is not Purple Stuff, which does not work like it. No bets; but the Super Clean really surprised me favorably.

I used it on the original Savage plastic stocks. Using a plastic window planter (without holes), I put a gallon of the Super Clean in and laid the stock into it overnight. Depending on the stock and the planter, you may need a second gallon to get the stock completely below the surface. It peeled the paint loose (gel consistency) so it could be stripped off with a finger (I used Nitrile gloves, although it's labeled as biodegradable, etc.). Heat was not needed. The remainder can be strained thorough nylon stocking and reused. Use it straight, undiluted.

One note of caution, it will etch (frosty finish) aluminum. It always worked for the spray paint, and even took it off a Harris Bipod. I now have a plain aluminum Harris.

Another very powerful cleaner is TSP (Trisodium Phosphate. The Eco Nazies hate this stuff). I used it to remove accumulated car wax (commercial car wash) from a white vinyl roof. Let it sit for about five minutes. It went to from yellow to white in one pass. It also removed some wax from the paint, but left the paint alone. So I put it into the wask bucket and washed the car again. It restored the original paint to just as new color and finish. The car was a 70 Charger, Plum Crazy metallic and white vinyl roof. Oh, and a 440 Magnum, worked.

Greg

Last edited:
I found that Goof Off and a q-tip works great for crevices. I have almost everything cleaned and ready to go. I should be able to post up a picture tomorrow afternoon. I'm going with a Rit formula called Greek Olives which is more of a brown od. It'll be darker than the picture because of the underlying FDE but it should work well with the KRG fde because it already has a bit of greenish tint.

I'm also thinking about trying a tiger stripe camo but I have to find a masking material that will work with immersion with no bleed through. Nail polish painted on using female stencils might work but I'm not ready to jump into the deep end quite yet.

F8D4A147-A570-4F37-BDF2-F6FC8F215CB8.jpeg

Done. It looks a little browner in real life, I would probably opt for the Olivine Green formula over most FDE polymers for a more green OD.

Now I want to try to dye some painted
pieces, since I learned it will dye Aervoe just like it's plastic.
65C8987B-F03B-457F-A801-A59947854730.jpeg

Here's the original for comparison:

EE2AA397-174C-4658-B84C-5A59214542DF.jpeg

Last edited:
Good to know, I've got the green Bravo and want tan. Rit dye was the first thing I thought of.

Thanks. Now my next project will be to find out how to remove a dye spot from a kitchen counter. My wife is too observant.

Get some stuff called Grease Lightning maybe oven c
Thanks. Now my next project will be to find out how to remove a dye spot from a kitchen counter. My wife is too observant.
You can either try something like grease Lightning or go do some of that sponge camo across wherever you spilled it. If she doesn't like the camel job, it might just get you out of some honey do list

wow, this looks great, thanks for the info. Will defiantly be looking at dying my Bravo as well.

Ya I love that flat olive color.
Wonder if they have a Coyote Brown?

Last edited:
Great outcome. Did you wear gloves? I hear that stuff will stain your hands and it won't come off for weeks.

I’m going to try something similar on my MDRX. The fde is a little too bright for me.

I’m going to try something similar on my MDRX. The fde is a little too bright for me.
I believe Rit Camel will darken FDE down to a Coyote Brown shade. I strongly suggest testing it on a small part first.