• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone running a Zeiss Conquest on their rimfire?

2guard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2008
nashville, tn
I am starting another rimfire build, hopefully be finished in a month or so, and was thinking about putting a used Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 on top with a 20moa base. I have heard great things about the 3-9x conquest, and thinking with the 20moa base I will be fine out to 200 with the 22lr (25-26moa from 50 zero).
Anybody here have one on their 22 trainer?
I also thought about the sightron or a vortex pst, but figure the glass will be better in the zeiss.
Thoughts, opinions, sarcasm all greatly aprreciated.

Re: Anyone running a Zeiss Conquest on their rimfire?

I have a Nikon 4-16x50 Tactical with a 20MOA canted base on my Quad. Make sure if your scope has parallax adjustment, if will adjust down to 50 yrds. Many scopes will not.

I'm running a Conquest 3-9 on my hunting rig and it is a fantastic scope. That being said, I have a Vortex Viper on my rimfire and it is also a fantastic scope.

I don't know if I'd go the expense of puttin the PST on a rimfire but the regular Viper would be great. Given the choice between the two I have, the glass is pretty much on par between the both.

My suggestion, Viper (non-PST)or if you have more bucks to spend, the sky is the limit.

By the way, the Vortex warrant is the best I've have seen yet.

I have a couple of vipers on centerfire and on rimfire and they are great scopes, and probably the best warranty/cs going, just looking for an upgrade in glass and have seen a few 6.5-20x50 conquest sell for $650-750. if I could still find some vipers at the prices they closed out at last year I would buy a few more of them. I can get the pst in sfp for about the same price, but have heard so many good things about the zeiss glass, I was just curious to hear some opinions here on them since the vast majority of people here know their stuff.
thanks

Ziess has Great optics. Althought you might want to look into the sightron III series. They have very similar glass. some people say Zeiss others say Sightron is better. I dunno. I have seen Zeiss but not witness sightron with my own eyes. I would say the sightron because of alot more MOA of adjustments. Enough really you wouldnt need the 20 moa base, but you could still use it and reach out even further. Sightron has a proven record for tracking.
http://www.sightron.com/index.php?action=view_document&did=1201816362&cat_id=6&id=167
The sightron will prob be cheaper also.

PST is not really same class. its more a bells and whistles scope. Good scope, just packed full of features. Where as sightron and Ziess really focus on glass. Sightron is very well know for its repeatability and great CS.

You also might want to look at some scopes with AO istead of side focuse. Most AO scopes can go down to 10-15 yards whereas most side focus stop at 50. But if your just shooting 50 yards and out . No big deal.

Good luck. Keep us updated.

I've got a Conquest 6.5-20 mil dot on my CZ 453 .17hmr, and I love it. I would get another one in a heartbeat. I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 on a .22lr and the glass is a toss up (they are both great). The SIII does have a lot more elevation adjustment, but I prefer the mil dots on the Zeiss over the SIII. Other than the adjustment range, the clarity, turrets and reticle on the Zeiss are great IMO.
IMG_0051.jpg
a

Zeiss does have really good optics.

G2004 , what type of stock is that? Nice rifle. AWESOME SCOPE.

Stork-
That is the factory CZ stock that has gone through a few rounds of modifications to fit me better.

To the OP, Cameraland usually has demo model Conquests for good prices. If you haven't already, check out their site.

I agree that Zeiss has some great glass, even in their budget Conquest line, but I think it's overkill for the kind of shooting you're going to be doing with it. Plus it also doesn't have a lot of travel, in case you want to reach out a bit farther than 100yrds or so.

think hard about what stork and xxm said in regards to travel unless you are sure ur not going to take it looong range.

I wont be shooting past 200 with it, and depending on ammo and conditions that should be around 24-27 moa from 100yd zero.
I know the sightron has plenty of adjustment (100moa from what I have read), but have read some different numbers on the conquest. I can't find a definitive answer on travel, with reports from 68-75 moa total, and about 40-45 after zero. Does that sound right?
If so, I should be okay at 200 with it.
Please set me straight if I am wrong.

On a plus note for the sightron, its offered in mil/mil or moa/moa in the siii tact. version
Glad I have some time to make a decision.

http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/e34e4125aa548d6685256bcf0061320d

Hope this helps. SOunds like your gonna be running close on elevation. You will need about 19-21moa(depending on your conditions) to get to 200 from 100 yard zero. I like a 20 yard zero on my 22. Gives me peak precision for a zero. so my adjustments tend to be more accurate. You will def need your 20moa base if you go with the ziess.

The zeiss is a great scope dont get me wrong. For any other caliber, 17hmr, 22mag, centerfire, I would say get it. For a 22lr, since they drop like a rock, id consider something with more elevation.

I have a Zeiss 4.5-14x40 on my rem 40x and it is really nice. With my 20moa base on it, and a 50yd zero, I had 32 up up moa and 14 of down. Knowing this, I put a 30 moa base on my rifle and now have over 40 moa up and only 4 moa down, essentially creating a poor boys zero stop while enabling me to reach 300 yds, which is very very nice when using the 22 due to the large amount of dope being dialed for longer shots. It takes me 22.5 moa to reach 200 on my rifle from a 50yds zero.

The zeiss is clearer than my nightforce on my 308 in bad mirage. Also, the mildot rect is nice for holdovers. Only thing I dont like is the CW knobs, and so I am going to sell the scope I think. If your interested let me know. And dont let anyone say that a scope is too much for JUST a 22. Ha you end up shooting the 22 so much, all the other rifles just dont seem as fun anymore and good glass is truely more enjoyable to shoot than cheap stuff.

2uz6smo.jpg

D-TROS : agreed. NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH. more than likely you will spend more time, round for round, shooting a 22 than any other rifle, so why not spend what you can afford to get and really have a quality gun that you can enjoy and get the most out of.

But yes you will want at least a 20 moa base or dont waste your time with the zeiss.

A good alternative would be the SWFA SS 10x or even the 16x. those things have a ton of elevation at a great price.

Regards,
_DT

I have a Mark II with a SS10x. LOVE it. I i like the 10meter parralax. Wish the SS10xHD had that. But if your want good glass and a great scope shooting 50 yards out. SS10XHD(new reticle) would be the way to go.

as far as teh 16x and 20x SS. Im not much for. to high a magnifcaiton to be stuck with when you bad mirage. The glass is good, but no where in close to SSHD...
Or if your really want soemthing good go with new SS5-20x50HD.OH YEA. I dont know if the group buy is still on or not. if so your looking at about 1000 for a great scope, otherwise i think they are about 1500.

Just heard back from Skylar @ swfa (quick response as usual), here's what the specs (and swfa) say:

I’m going through the spec sheet now, and this is what I have shown.

Magnification-6.5-20
Obj- 50mm
exit pupil-7.7-2.5
Twilight#-18-31.6
FOV-(ft/100 yrds)17.7-5.7
Eye relief-(inches) 3.5
Paralax-(yards) 50-infinity
squared adjustment range-(inches/100 yards) E:45.36 / W:28.8
Adjustment per click(1/4 MOA) 0.7cm/100 m
Diopter adjustment range-+2 /-3 dpt
Tube- 1”
Length- 15.59
Weight- 21.83
As far as the total clicks, 180, which will make it 90 minutes of adjustment.

In reference to the Sightron, the glass is going to be inferior in my opinion to Zeiss.
I do not think that a 20 minute base would be necessary, for the range that you are shooting.

So, apparently I should be okay with the conquest. Thanks to everyone here, and to swfa for the help.

On the super snipers, I have had a few 10x, and one each of the 16x and 20x, and while they are rugged and dependable, the glass leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. That said, I do keep a bushnell 10x40 as a back-up scope and like the glass on it better than the ss (but like the clicks better on the ss). I haven't seen/looked through any of the hd ss, and I am sure they are much nicer. I almost made myself buy one of the 5-20x50hd at $1000, but talked myself out of it (I may regret that later on). Anyway, there will always be more deals to be had in the future.

Again, thanks for all the replies.

You won't be sorry with your decision. I use a 4.5-14x44 Conquest on my Anschutz and the glass quality is noticeably superior to the $1632 scope on my .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't be sorry with your decision. I use a 4.5-14x44 Conquest on my Anschutz and the glass quality is noticeably superior to the $1632 scope on my .308. </div></div>
I think Nightforce holds their own just fine next to Zeiss...
wink.gif

Unless I am mistaken, 180 clicks divided by 4 equals 45 moa. Only half of this is usable cause you usually zero ends up being in the middle, leaving you with 22.5 usable up MOA. That is barely enough to reach 200 from a 50 yd zero with subsonic ammo. I would def get a 20 moa base to help out with that, not only cause you will use up some if that moa to zero the rifle, but mainly cause as soon as you shoot to 200, 300 is way too inviting to leave alone...unless you getting the zeiss with the 30mm tube. If that the case, I could be off in the MOA...

speaking from experience here. The 1" tube sucks for elevation, and I was under the inpression the 6-20 had less travel than the 4-14. Could be wrong on that tho.

Regards,
_DT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless I am mistaken, 180 clicks divided by 4 equals 45 moa. Only half of this is usable cause you usually zero ends up being in the middle, leaving you with 22.5 usable up MOA. That is barely enough to reach 200 from a 50 yd zero with subsonic ammo. I would def get a 20 moa base to help out with that, not only cause you will use up some if that moa to zero the rifle, but mainly cause as soon as you shoot to 200, 300 is way too inviting to leave alone...unless you getting the zeiss with the 30mm tube. If that the case, I could be off in the MOA...

speaking from experience here. The 1" tube sucks for elevation, and I was under the inpression the 6-20 had less travel than the 4-14. Could be wrong on that tho.

Regards,
_DT </div></div>

agreed but.. if you dont use a 20 moa base then the center of the scope will be level and more along the lines of a 30-50 yard zero.. which means you will need closer to 26+ minutes to get to 200.
If you do use a 100 yard zero you will be about 14 minteus of elevation left. not enough to get to 200. USE 20moa base.

Isn't the Zeiss something like 30 up and 14 down?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RicosRevenge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the Zeiss something like 30 up and 14 down? </div></div>

That almost exactly what mine was...with a 20MOA base...it all depends on how it zero's on your rifle and how much vertival moa it takes up.

I should probably go with the DIP 25moa rail just to be safe. Anyone know of a 30moa rail being made for the mk2?

You can go with the Burris signature zee rings to add some extra elevation using the inserts. These are the rings I have on my .17 and they are working real well.

I have been running several Conquests for a couple of years now and I am not at all disappointed with any of them. They all have great glass. I had a Sightron SIII for a while. The glass was decent in it, nothing to turn up your nose at or anything, but it ws not as good as any of my Zeiss.