• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Anyone seen this??

Cool idea... Too bad Apple is rolling out their new phone model soon.

Some pictures of the Flir One

These are pics from the FLIR One.

Works great for basic hot and cold [IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF LIGHT; See below], and creating composite pictures from the iPhone 5/5S.

I figure that it the iPhone 5 will just end up as a tool with the FLIR ONE once I get an iPhone 6 or a Galaxy...

Certainly works well enough for basic stuff.

GB

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0205.JPG
    IMG_0205.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0208.JPG
    IMG_0208.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    255.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Other Modes...

Two other color palette modes...

These are pictures of my 3 year old son playing with an iPad Mini on the edge of an inflatable mattress.

Attachments

• IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0216.JPG
    IMG_0216.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Final thoughts... this is not a PAS-29, or a PVS-4, OR a PVS-14, or a W1000... etc...

So,

I figured I'd run to the backyard and see what the FLIR One could do at night.

The answer, is NOTHING. Well, basically nothing useful...

The FLIR One HAS to have LIGHT in order to take an overlay image using the iPhone camera and thermal bolometer.

The device CANNOT take a useful picture without LOTS of light. Effectively, I had to turn on my guantanamo bay style backyard lights (negating any stealth observation) to use the device.

In the first attached picture you see a picture in darkness of the family tooth brush assortment. The second picture shows a really nice overlay picture of the device and their thermal signatures.

That's a BIG difference in quality.

Now, there are some useful features, and one of them is a temperature sensor (see picture 3).

The really big issue is that you need light to use this device effectively.

There is no comparison to my PAS-29/PVS-14, but the FLIR One is only a few hundred dollars... not $10,000.00.

However, I would have thought that it would compare to some of the FLIR industrial units more closely.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 6
Yeah, so I just tried to take another attempt and contrasting the thermal characteristics.

However, I can't get the eyepiece to work with an iPhone on the other thermal device, and even though I have the software, Optics One's software for getting pictures off the thing is relative crap too.

In contrast to that specific issue, FLIR crushes the competition as it was made to work well with iPhone / consumer market.

So, I'm going to explain it:

The full thermal device can do full thermal, and a bunch of other modes. In "full thermal" it get clean images that show very good detail. For example, you can see the studs in the walls, and where the heating ducts are, etc.

The FLIR ONE can do much of the same, but the CLARITY of the picture and the detection of hot/cold is no where as nice. So, where I can see the studs with the "full thermal" device, and can only see some of them with the FLIR ONE.

So, a picture of the 12 foot ceiling in our master bed room (below) only gets a blury image of the poor insulation points at the ceiling. Whereas the "full thermal" device gets the studs behind the drywall, the poor insulation area, the detail of the angles of the part of the ceiling [i.e. the apex of the roof and ceiling].

Again, if there is light, it works great. If you were going outside to point the FLIR One at the roof of your house at NIGHT, I suspect you wouldn't see anything useful for an energy audit.

I'd probably save my money and get a sub $1000.00 entry level thermal camera vs the FLIR One.

The FLIR One seems more like a party trick as opposed to a truly versatile thermal device.

The very last picture is a recreation of what you see with my other "thermal device..." (A little imagination is helpful here -wink-)

One more thing about all of the attached pictures: These are the EXACT pictures taken by the FLIR ONE, they are not resized; The FLIR ONE does not take pictures at the native resolution of the iPhone (or at least save them at that resolution).

(I'm not naming the "other thermal device" specifically because posting pictures is probably a little bit of a touchy issue due to ITAR, but it works in day / night / fog / sunshine [carefully], etc.)

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0333.JPG
    IMG_0333.JPG