• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot a .270WSM for long range?

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
I am wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge on the .270WSM for long range shooting.

I am looking for something a bit different and the .270 has always looked like a good all around round. I have a M70 in .270, but it is just a hunting rifle.

What could a person expect for barrel life out of the .270WSM?

Take care,Stan

Re: Anyone shoot a .270WSM for long range?

Bump... just got a Sako A7 in .270WSM and would like to know an approximate barrel life out of this gun.

i shooting friend burned up custom barrel in 400 rounds......i was there to watch it, and he did not hot rod the thing .

Then why is the 270 and 300 out selling it so much?

Cause everyone and their mom thinks the .270 is the greatest hunting round ever.

Reactions: Hunt_4life

I have a R700 and Win 70 in 300 wsm. I chose it over the 270 wsm, due to being able to use the same projectiles as my 308 win. A buddy at work thinks the world of his 270 wsm as a hunting round, but has no intentions of using it as a long range rifle.

I own a .300 WSM, and I am considering re-barreling to a 7mmWSM. The B.C. of the heavies is just to good to ignore!

a few of us like to keep the 7mmWSM "our little secret" That being said, the .270 WSM is really catching on as a hunting round, with a case full of 4831sc and a 140gr Nosler Accubond really puts the smackdown on some critters. Some great rifles are chambered in it re; Sako, Browning X-Bolt come to mind. Sako is coming out with a semi-custom A-7, called the Tecomate after David Morris's ranch which grows HUGE whitetail a few hundred miles south of me here in the Republic of Texas. Anyway it's a cool looking rifle and shoots very good out of the box.

I loaded for my brother, some accuracy rounds for his .270 WSM some 150 Berger VLD's in front of {IIRC} 66 gr. of H1000. He doesn't shoot long range. So those were his first out to 1k. So I was told. According to his son, the rounds all impacted a 15"x26" target.

Personally, I think when people start looking at the "tween" they will see that the .277 cal has been sitting there all along and providing great ballistics. What it needs now is a bullet of equal dimensions relative to the 6.5 and 7mm super high BC bullets. That would put the .270 back on the map as well as grow the .270 WSM. You might even see a .308 based case come out in .270.
I know a lot of people say stick with what we have. But, if the .270 truly was smack dab in the ballistics weight/streamline datum, we should seek to expound upon it.

<span style="color: #3333FF">Edit:

The 150 Bergers are for hunting. But they do shoot great for target shooting.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i shooting friend burned up custom barrel in 400 rounds......i was there to watch it, and he did not hot rod the thing . </div></div>

Really? 400 rounds? I have to believe that was a case of something going wrong. I wouldn't think even a factory barrel would burn out in less than a thousand rounds, let alone a custom tube.

BgBmBoo,
Thanks for posting this, I was always curious why I haven't heard much about 270WSM for long range accuracy...

It comes down to bullet selection or the lack thereof. Nothing wrong with the .277" or the .257" for that matter. Just no suitable bullets. If the bullets come, then the fast twist barrels will follow.

I own a Sako 85 Grey Wolf in 270WSM. 185 rounds total through the barrel from Jul to present. Handload Sierra 130-150gr HPBTs/SPs and Nosler 130-150 ABs for 'most accurate load' IAW the Sierra and Nosler Manuals. Norma brass. Excellent accuracy with both Sierra and Nosler bullets out to 200yds. Looking to advance into the 300-600yd realm in the near future.

Have not experienced any barrel degradation or accuracy reduction. Borescope barrel occasionally. Important with these thinner-walled barrels to allow for ample cooling btw, say, 3-round shot groups. Especially in a relatively hot ambient environment. I've shot up to 38 rounds during a range "session", but I'm patient. Shoot 3 rounds. Dwell. Rinse and repeat. 400 round barrel life? IMHO, I'd say faulty metallurgy or improper shooting. I'm expecting well over a 1,000 rounds out of my factory Sako barrel

If you're into handloading, the 270WSM is a great round. Perfect North Amercian Deer Rifle. A 140gr Nosler AB, with a MV of 3,000fps, produces 1,500 ft-lbs of energy at 400yds. 50% above the recommended minimum of 1,000 ft-lbs for harvesting a deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It comes down to bullet selection or the lack thereof. Nothing wrong with the .277" or the .257" for that matter. Just no suitable bullets. If the bullets come, then the fast twist barrels will follow.</div></div>

I agree nothing wrong with either caliber. The biggest problem is big bullet company marketing.

The .270 has always been right in that 'naturally high' BC range where it gets enough weight yet is still thin enough to get a good BC rating. The problem is when selling bullets marketing takes over. If you go to any major bullet maker's website and compare BC's of the heaviest non-target bullets you will see the BC's of the .270 cal up there with the best of them. If you go back a number of years (in the reloading books when BC wasn't such a marketing thing) and look at some of the older bullets you'll see that the .270 topped a bunch of them. Now we have bullets with super high BC profiles that legitimately do get those marks. But from the old to the new there haven't been all that many changes, in some cases none, yet the BC's of the bullets being pushed got "re-tested" and came out better. The ones's that went down in BC were all the competition bullets. Shooters were saying weren't that good. Those bullets were consistently being tested at long ranges. Good accuracy, just not flying the way they said they would.

I find it hard to believe that a Sierra Gameking or Nosler BT with a 8r ogive has nearly the same BC as a Berger VLD with a 12R ogive.

I guess that's what I'm trying to say here. Take a standard bullet. One with an 8R ogive and average boat-tail (or none) and compare all the calibers. You will see the .270 come out pretty good. Now, if bullets were made as long and sleek as they are in 6mm, 6.5mm, and 7mm then you would see some super high BC's.

I have a R700 in 270 WSM, I set it up for Long Range Hunting. I put a VX-111 4.5-14x40 LR and HS stock. It has quickly become one of my favorite rifles...it drives nails. I've got about 500 rounds out of it so far, my load is Norma Brass, Fed 215 Gold Medal Match primers, 140 gr. Nosler Accubond and 57.2 grains of H4350. I drew my once in a lifetime Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep tag this year....it's going with me!!!

Z

I have to agree on the 140 Accubond. While not a "match grade" bullet, I have shot my Howa/Krieger "hunting rifle" out to 600 and it is almost boring. Found great accuracy with RL-22 and MagPro. Magpro had the velocity edge. I'm at ~400 rounds so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own a Sako 85 Grey Wolf in 270WSM. 185 rounds total through the barrel from Jul to present. Handload Sierra 130-150gr HPBTs/SPs and Nosler 130-150 ABs for 'most accurate load' IAW the Sierra and Nosler Manuals. Norma brass. Excellent accuracy with both Sierra and Nosler bullets out to 200yds. Looking to advance into the 300-600yd realm in the near future.</div></div>

1st opportunity last weekend to use the Grey Wolf longrifle to drill rounds out to 600yds and 1k yds. Used handloaded Nosler 130gr Spitzers Ballistic Tips and Sierra 130gr SBT GameKings, atop Norma cases fueled with IMR4350 and WLRM primers.

Shot an average of 1.25MOA groups @ 600yds. After correcting a doping error (e.g. inputing the correct temperature/altitude into the iPhone's Ballistic FTE app), along with some spotting help from the RSO, was able to cut paper at 1000 yds and gradually improve group accuracy.

Extremely satisfied with the Sako 85 and USO combination! Still have tons to learn in the mental-mechanical department (sight alignment, NPA, focus on sight, trigger control, and follow-through). But the gem of the event was meeting an awesome cadre of shooters and RSOs at Q.

I think the most apealing thing about this round is that you can get a tikka3 in this caliber. They all shoot like a house afire. I have thought about this caliber just because of the rifle. I have also thought about buying a 7/08 and a 270 wsm bolt and having it punched out to 7wsm. Probably cost more than just building one though. Once you have owned tikkas it is hard to buy anything factory except them.

have one with break on it and its kinda the meat and taders gun

2 elk and a deer and a speed goat ...just a good ole hunting rig not by any means my tac comp gun but its good to pack and hunt with ...you should like it for hunting app's

m700 .270 my hunting rifle, fixed with a burris fullfied 2 4.5x14x42 with ballistiplex, have no worries taking it out to 500yards(not long range, but long enough)

This is an old thread, but there are surely folks who search the 270 wsm for insight to its abilities as a long range rifle. I have a Savage 16 factory tubed rifle that when loaded with 150 grn sierra gk's, and moderate dose of MRP, will hit a piece of rebar consistently @ 500 yds . No sled and always wind of some kind. That distance in the field, hanging off a ledge with a backpack thrown down as a rest, is most definitely long range enough . BC isn't worth mentioning. Cold bore accuracy at that distance, off a bag with a lite packable rifle surely is. Yes, it is good for long range.

This is an old thread, but there are surely folks who search the 270 wsm for insight to its abilities as a long range rifle. I have a Savage 16 factory tubed rifle that when loaded with 150 grn sierra gk's, and moderate dose of MRP, will hit a piece of rebar consistently @ 500 yds . No sled and always wind of some kind. That distance in the field, hanging off a ledge with a backpack thrown down as a rest, is most definitely long range enough . BC isn't worth mentioning. Cold bore accuracy at that distance, off a bag with a lite packable rifle surely is. Yes, it is good for long range.
Why would you resurrect a 10 year old thread for nothing? For what? Your statement on how good it is at 500 yards? 500 yards is only long range for 22LR these days...

Reactions: Luke G