• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot a Tikka T-3 in .223?

6mech

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2012
What ammo does it like? I would like to know what works good in your guns. I have a T-3 Hunter in .223 and it shoots just OK so far. I really only use the rifle to hunt with, but I would like to get a little more accuracy out of it. I know the Tikkas are capable, my .30-06 shoots great with cheap factory ammo. I've tried several different factory rounds from 55gr-64gr. It seems to like the Fed 62gr soft points with Win white box just behind them (can't hunt with them though). I tried loading 55gr V-Max with 748 with less than desireable results. Does anyone use heavier bullets in thiers? I would like to hear what works for others to give me some more ideas. Thanks

I have a T3 tactical with a 26" barrel in a 1:8 twist. I assume yours is the same twist. I use factory ammo though but it does seem to like the heavier rounds. I have had good success with 69 grain and 75 grain rounds.

My wife has the T3 Lite in .223, as does one of my neighbors. I've developed loads for both and haven't loaded anything yet that wouldn't shoot at least 1 MOA, using bullets from 40-68 grains.

I've always had better luck with 55 grain Blitz Kings than with the 55 V-max. 25.0 grains of Benchmark works great. The 60 grain Nosler ballistic tip did well with the same powder charge, also. For my wife's gun, we've settled on the Hornady 68 gr. BTHP over 23.5 grains of Benchmark. It averages .5 MOA at 100 yards and even better on a good day. The 68 grain bullet cuts wind a lot better than the 55s and we've shot it with great accuracy out to 600+ yards.

The problem you will likely run into with the Tikka is that they are notoriously long in the throat, yet their magazines can be restrictive in length. I used a Dremel to lengthen the inside front of the magazine so that I could get a couple hundredths more length for the 68 grain bullets.

John

Have a semi custom T3 in .223 25" 1:8 trueflight barrel, it loves the 75gr amax and 80gr berger vlds, groups both 1/4moa at 100yds all day long, shoots well out to 800+ yds with both loads.
Very capable accurate rifles, it never liked factory ammo much tho 3/4moa at best

I have a third eye tactical bottom metal with AI mags so can run the loads seated .2 thou off the lands at 2.422

Im running 25gr of TAC for both bullets with the 80s its a bit hot but no pressure signs doing 3000fps+

Last edited:
I have the standard 1 in 8 tikka 223. It L-O-V-E-S 60 grain vmax from Black Hills and 60 grain Hornady soft points over a mild load of TAC.

Thanks for the replies. I have some 60 gr. v-max on hand I will try out and see what happens. I also have some 77 grainers, but would really like to find some 69ers to give a shot.

My coyote load is a 55gr ballistic tip with 25.7gr of ar comp. This is in a tikka 223 20" scout 1-8 twist although it seems to shoot awesome in every 223 I have.