• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shoot GG&G or IMI match .308 here?

Basic user

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 11, 2013
    I shot 2 boxes of ammo through my AR308 this Saturday, and Sunday morning when I went to clean them, the .308's nickle boron bolt and carrier were COVERED in the worst green corrosion I have ever seen. Worse than when I shot corrosive soviet era ammo through my milsurps and waited a week to clean. One box was IMI match and the other box was GG&G match. This corrosion was soo bad nothing I had would take it off, so I had to polish it off with a dremel and chrome polish.

Has anyone else had this experience in the past?

My IMI 556/308 match has never had issues. Accuracy is good, no corrosion or anything either.

Yea, I was guessing it was the Lithuanian gg&g stuff....

Last edited:
    Nickel Boron is supposed to resist corrosion and yours corroded in a day?

Did you look at the bolt carrier BEFORE you used the suspect ammo?

I did. It had 20 rounds of Federal GMM put through it a few months prior. I ALWAYS clean my guns that day or the very next day, so between then and now, nothing else ran through that gun. No way I put a gun away dirty. It's been a wall hanger due to the weather here.

the GG&G 308 that I have is Lithuanian and is good clean ammo, not sure what you got. mine is maybe 8 years old.

Reactions: Basic user
    I've put a lot of IMI .308 through my MDRX, never a sign of green anything.

GG&G I've never used .308, but the 9mm I've used from them was definitely not "non-corrosive" as claimed. my money is on the GG&G

Reactions: Basic user
    Yea, just looked at it again; it's Lithuanian not Turkish. I'm guessing that was the culprit.

extremely odd results from your shooting experience. I would locate your round here and try and determine which ammo was the culprit if either, as stated my experience has been the GG&G is very good ammo.

extremely odd results from your shooting experience. I would locate your round here and try and determine which ammo was the culprit if either, as stated my experience has been the GG&G is very good ammo.
    Oh I wouldn't say it's bad ammo, just that it tends to leave a greenish stain on stuff if not cleaned promptly. accuracy and reliability wise it leaves nothing to complain about.

from what exactly?? never seen it myself personally. powder/primer just curious if you even know.......

This is the corrosion. The flash kind of drown out how green this stuff was. It was a bright, deep mint green, and it was ON there. This nickel boron BCG was super nice and bright. (lantacs coatings are always so nice) It was brand new. EVERY bit of that green and brown crap was on there, hard. Hoppes, shooters choice, KG powder solvent, and 90% isopropyl wouldn't touch this stuff. I had to put Mother's chrome polish on a felt wheel and dremel it off. Every square inch. This was 20 rounds of ammo, and about 20 hours of sitting before cleaning.
    Even the issue russian stuff that I fire through my AK74 and then sat for a few days wasn't this stubborn. Never seen anything like this.

Attachments

• bolt and bolt carrier.jpg
      bolt and bolt carrier.jpg
      817.3 KB · Views: 87
    • bolt face.jpg
      bolt face.jpg
      281 KB · Views: 96
    from what exactly?? never seen it myself personally. powder/primer just curious if you even know.......
    powder, it mostly gets stuck to the inside of my muzzle brake and blast can on my x39 AR but also the comp on the 9mm I've used it with

I have a nitrided Lantac E-BCG and no issues with IMI Razor 175gr. I've put about at least 60rds through it in 2 weeks without any cleaning and everything looks fine.

Only issue I ever had with IMI 175 match was the accuracy going to shit at 800 yards and beyond. This happened with multiple shooters in multiple rifles. Other than that it was okay...

Excellent; looks like more and more it was the Lithuanian stuff.

Suggest load it like LC brass
    42.3 of IMR 4895 with 165/168 should be excellent