• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone shooting 221 fireball with a shorter barrel?

Sonic Crack

Desert Tech Solutions
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Wellington, Ohio
m.facebook.com
Looking at building a short, light carry rifle in 221FB. Looking at 16"- 22" barrel length, 40 grain or lighter pills, H4198 or H322. Anyone running this kinda combo? what FPS are you getting for your barrel length. Will be used for a late summer, carry rifle for goundhogs.

Sonic crack,

Bear in mind that the cartridge was designed for a 10" barrel; the original XP-100. In a short rifle, you can expect performance somewhere between a 222 Rem and a 22 Hornet. Nice, quiet, easy to load little cartridge for 200 yard shots or under. Good little round, and very easy to work with.

I thought I remembered reading about that at some point (XP-100). I think it will be a great little round for close in work. I'm sure it will end up being my son's first CF rifle down the road. Glad to hear it will be easy to load.

I load mine with a 40 grain Sierra hollow point in front of 14.8 grains of 2400. Fed 205m primer. 2800 fps. one hole groups. It is a great prairie dog load to 250 yards or so.