• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting 308 with 45 + grains of Varget?

Mag 300

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Dec 31, 2006
    Downers Grove Illinois
    If your using say 45 or 46 grains of varget let me know I was going some testing OCW and there is a definate liking for 42 gr of RL then next closing set of groups was at 45 gr of rl 15 I was going to try Varget at 44 to 46 grains but Quickload is telling me I am about to DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

data appreciated like fps conditions and signs of pressure . will be shooting this "MAYBE" from am AW in 308 24" barrel

Thanks Bill

Re: Anyone shooting 308 with 45 + grains of Varget?

Bill, with the 155 I'm running 45+ in four different .308's...no problem.

In my experience Varget can vary quite a bit from lot to lot...always keep an eye on that.
    Good Luck, Pat

I've run 168 SMK's over 45.5 grains of Varget with no issues Go to the Hodgson Web page for Varget max loads with different bullet weights.

I'm using 165gr Accubond with 42.5 gr Varget Nosler brass with a Winchester large rifle primer. My little AR-10 loves em! Just over 2400 fps on a 1:11:25 triple lapped barrel. Went up to 45gr. gun did not like it lots of pressure issues. I wish I had a bolt gun.

Hodgdon lists a max load of 46.0 grains with 168 SMK right on their powder bottle. I have shot this without any problem.

I´m using the same combo like PGS in my L42A1 which is not the strongest action anyway, with good results and without problems.
    you will not die if you go into the QL yellow marked area a bit.

Hey Bill

Im runnin 168amax with 47gr Varget and I run the same projectile with 43.3 RL15.

Im getting 2500fps with the RL15 20inch bbl and around 2750fps with the 47gr varget. Im eventually goin to work up another load for the RL15 based on my velocity to get to around 2650fps.

Load-
    Lapua brass-fl sized Redding bushing die .335 bushing I only trim when it needs it due to the long necked Remy I have. Keeps the throat from deterating quicker. I can keep my brass at saami max or even a little higher than 2.015.
    Varget 47gr. In the lapua once I get the powder in and vibrate the loading block with my fingers to settle the powder it is set just below the shoulder.
    Primer- Any. Ive used 210m, BR2, CCI200, WLR's...all work well
    Projectile- 168amax
    COL-2.820
    Velocity. 2750 avg
    Pressure. No signs of over pressure. The only thing that pisses me off is the primer flowing back into the firing pin which it does that on anything I put in my rifle regardless of load. But I have no sticky bolt, no hardcore extractor swipes etc.
    Rifle
    Remy700 SPS-V 20inch bbl
    B&C Medalist Stock
    Rifle Basix trig 1.5lbs
    Seekins 20moa rail and 30mm rings
    Sightron SIII 6-24x50
    Results-.3s and 4s at 100yd and even shot .4's at 200yd with this load

RL-15 load is the same components above with the same results but this load really isnt worth a shit past 300yds.

During load development Rem 5r (24" 11.25) loved:

FGMM brass
    CCi br2
    Nos 165 Accubond at std rem mag length
    44.8 or 45 Varget - both shot in the high .2s and were consistent POI

shot round robin OCW and groups opened up at 45.5 and then closed back down at 46.4 (.4s), the max I planned to shoot. Never saw any noticeable pressure signs on the way though. Since I had right at 2700fps at 45 grains I went to that for the load especially since I didnt gain much velocity with the extra 1.4 grains and would have less safety margin above 46 grains on a real hot day or cooking a round for a while.

With the lighter bullets like 155s I would guess you could get simliar results/margins above 46 grains, but I prefer the 165 NAB and dont have any experience with the 155s.

There has been some talk about Varget being inconsistent between lots so I'd be careful when using someone else's load data....especially when that data is near max. I have pushed 155 scenars at 2933ft/s with 45.7grs Varget. Lapua brass and WLR primers....kissing the lands in a 24" Krieger 1:10. The only real pressure sign I noticed were slightly flattened primers. During good conditions I've had 1/2+ moa out to 500 yards and then .75+ moa out to 1100 yards with that load. I don't shoot that load much because my 308 rarely goes out past 1000 yards anymore. For one reason or another I can get the 175's to shoot better under 1000 yards....but that's probably because I've worked with that load a bit more than the 155's. Good luck to you Bill.

Just remember the father you seat your projectile into the lands the more pressure your rifle will obtain. Then of course your rifle plays apart with how tight your chamber is, how long your throat is etc.

I'm using the following in my Crusader

46.5 Varget
    155 Scenars
    Hornady Match brass
    CCI BR2
    2.870 COAL

no pressure signs whatsoever.

I happen to use 47.8 gr of varget in Win cases with cci primers pushing a 155 scenar seated to 2.943" out the muzzle at 2925-2950 fps. I have shot more than 1000 of these in a singe gun. QL indicates that this is one step above what is safe, yet I have no particular pressures signs, although I freely admit it is right on the edge of safe.

I run my 178 AMAX with 45grns of Varget in once fired BH(Win) brass. It's the listed max at Hodgdon's reloading center. Gives me about 2690fps from my 20" barrel. Was giving me about 2710fps from a 22" barrel. No pressure signs. I use 44.2grns with Hornady brass to get the same velocities. Slightly smaller internal capacity on the Hornady.

Thanks for all the info I will be chronoing each shot and checking for pressure signs on the brass. its going to be about 20 degrees out so thats in my favor
    shooting an AW in 308 to date now my favorite rifle .
    Thanks for all the posts really appreciate it.
    if there were no replies Dont know if I would have shot the 46 gr

Bill

I run my 24" bbl AE with 45.0 Varget in Lapua brass and CCI BR2, behind either a JLK 175 VLD or a 180 VLD LBT, both seated to the lands. At 70 degrees the 175's run 2735 and the 180's run 2710. No pressure problems. That's my match load.

Also depends on the internal case capacity of all the various cases that everybody is using. Find some brass with small water capacity and try using your load....and you won't have to deprimer fired brass.
    smile.gif

Yeah, I've tried the same load.......

GAP-100yds2.jpg

Reactions: crossg4

Bill,

I have a 20" AIAE MK2 and it likes 45gr of Var.

My load: LC brass, SMK 175 BTHP, 45 gr var with an ogive of 2.1355 and I used BR2 primers. 2681 FPS was the average of 20 rounds fired in 2 5 round strings and one 10 round string. 1300' elevation at 55 degrees.

No adverse indications on either the rifle or the brass. The bullet is seated to factory length so I can use this load in a few rifles.

DSC00261.jpg

308targ2010001JPG.jpg

Gotta love show and tell!....shot this on 1-20-10. It was 15F, dead calm and perfectly clean air.

26" Krieger MTU 1-11". Surgeon built...one of Preston's first. Barrel has 4000+ rounds through it.

I've found great results with 45 grains of Varg. under the 175 gr SMK, Nosler CC and 178 AMAX. Using various primers and cases.

Given Rob's post however, I'll step down a touch on my Hornady cases
    smile.gif

Just what's worked for me but I havn't tried much else

155 SMK both the new palma and the old ones
    BHG and Hornady brass
    Win primers
    45.4 RL-15
    Buddy's chrono said 2770 avg but thats at 4200-4300 asl.

I'm getting great results with 45 grains of Varget under a 175 SMK in Hornady match brass and BR2's. I'm out of that brass however, so I'm stuck with Federal. I've bumped down the charge to 44.5 and 44.8 and need to retest.

45.0grs Varget 168gr SMK Federal case, Fed 210 does 2650fps in 20" Savage
    3 Five shot groups @ 100yds fired back to back.

MeasuredSavageGroup.jpg

It takes 46.3 gr of Varget to get 2650fps in my 20 inch Rem with the same components as above.

Shot this awhile back at a little over 200yds with Rem.

200Y463grVarget.jpg

My best accuracy so far has been with 47.0 grains of varget behind a 155 lapua scenar loaded to the standard 2.800 OAL. It is the max load according to my data. I just hope it still works as well when the weather gets warmer. I haven't played with the seating depths yet.

Hello,Folks
    I have been using 8208 XBR for a few months now and it does not care about the outside or inside temps and its SD'S are incredible
    give it a try. 308 loads are listed on the Hodgdon site.

I drive the 155 scenars with 47.4 grains of Varget, Lapua brass, 2.910", fed210 at about 3000 fps.

Beautiful rifle and results there PGS. Im with ya El Gordo on the factory Remys w/20" bbl. It takes alot more powder for us to get our velocity up. I just worked up slowly and eventually got to 47gr with excellent results and no over pressure. For some reason I coulnt find anything as good between 44.7 and 47gr. Hell 44.7 was only registering 2575 on the chrony but accurate.

Bill,
    The 45 grain load behind a 175, Winchester Brass, CCI BR primer, has been an outstanding load. Factor in variences in lots of Varget and working up of course. Seems to shoot very well in all my rifles. DO NOT use this load with Federal Brass, it will lead to serious pressure issues.

Damn that Surgeon is shooting good for 4000 rounds! Be great if those barrels like that would last forever!

Re: Anyone shooting 308 with 45 + grains of Varget

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ALMAORFE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Desert HK, Is that out of an AW? </div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drive the 155 scenars with 47.4 grains of Varget, Lapua brass, 2.910", fed210 at about 3000 fps. </div></div>

wow thats haulin ass.

Fonso if you try this make sure you check every case as you work your way up to see how flat the primers are getting- watch for primer cratering and ejector marks on the head of your brass. If the bolt gets sticky STOP RIGHT AWAY AND DONT SHOOT NO MORE!!

155gr Lapua Scenar in Lapua 308 Win brass with 46.5gr of Varget is getting me 2900fps in a 24" Bartlein barrel.

im into the new 155 smk palma with win brass and 46.5gr of ADI's AR 2208 (varget)set at 2.80 tip to tail, is hitting half inch at 100 yards all day, in my rem sps tac... i want to play with seating depth but how much better is a factory bog stock remmy tac gonna shoot off bipod in the dirt??

in load development i went up to 47 gr of 2208 (varget)(listed max with ADI data) with zero pressure signs, but i personally would not go any higher as the cons outway the pros in my way of thinking...id always prefer safe than sorry, especially when my face is right next to the sorry part, hahahaha

cheers lads,

jimi

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drive the 155 scenars with 47.4 grains of Varget, Lapua brass, 2.910", fed210 at about 3000 fps. </div></div>

wow thats haulin ass.

Fonso if you try this make sure you check every case as you work your way up to see how flat the primers are getting- watch for primer cratering and ejector marks on the head of your brass. If the bolt gets sticky STOP RIGHT AWAY AND DONT SHOOT NO MORE!! </div></div>

6MMFan As soon as I get my primers in I'll give you a call so you can help me out. If you don't mind ofcourse.

Desert HK did you get your FP bushed? I've heard of people piercing primers with stout loads in an AW.

I shot 155 Scenars under 45 of varget yesterday and they were more accurate than the factory Corbon 155. The Corbon was a bit hotter though at distance I couldn't see a difference in drop 3 mils got me on target at 530 with both loads 3.7 with 175's.

155g bergers with 47g of varget 2840fps
    1/4" groups @ 100 yards
    savage .308 24" barell
    no pressure signs whatsoever !
    this summer i will try to ingrease in by .5 grain @ time to see how far i can push it .

rem 700 p , savage 10 fcp,both of these rifles shoot very well with 45 grns varget,and 175 nosler custom comps.lapua brass.the remington cases show no pressure signs.the savage show just a little,shiny ejector.i have only started testing this load during these last few cold months,.mid 70s to mid 80s temp.sorry meant tgo say that these two rifles are ours ,not 700s or fcps in general.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have only started testing this load during these last few cold months,.mid 70s to mid 80s temp.</div></div>

Thats what you call the cold months? I hate you lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Station</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have only started testing this load during these last few cold months,.mid 70s to mid 80s temp.</div></div>

Thats what you call the cold months? I hate you lol. </div></div>

It got to 26 in Tampa two weeks ago so.....BRRRRRR

Bill,

I've found that in my rifle the 155's have an accuracy node at 45.6, but my higher accuracy node is at 47.4-47.6gr Varget.

Mavrick

Thanks this is what I am trying to get to the accuracy nodes in the higher powders. should be there again next week

Thanks Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bill,

I've found that in my rifle the 155's have an accuracy node at 45.6, but my higher accuracy node is at 47.4-47.6gr Varget. </div></div>

I am shooting 46gr with 168 SMK out of a 308 at right around 2800fps.

Thanks again for all who posted
    I will have no issues shooting this next week in 10 degree weather I might ad

Thanks for the verification
    Bill

45.2gr varget
    175 SMK
    lapua brass
    GAP Crusader
    ~ 2740fps

45.5 grains Varget
    155 Lap Scen
    2.80 COAL
    Lap brass
    Fed Match primers
    TRG-22, rebarrelled by APA to 20"
    ~2800 fps

What bullet weight Bill? I've shot 47.8 ish for a while now with the 155s. It runs about 2950 or so from 24" barrel. The brass doesn't care for it, but the targets do.

My rem 700 runs 46 gr varget with 168 smk works great to 1000yards fed 210M primers lapua brass

42.5gr. w/168gr. VLD Win. Brass and 215M primers 27" 1-10 ss #7 Shilen w/Trued Rem. 700 action....VERY accurate. So, not 45gr. for me.