• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting 7 PRC.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I Think I've narrowed my choice to this cartridge, seems to be to shoot flatter than 300 PRC or WinMag or 6.5 PRC with less recoil than any of them. Looking at a Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range. Will need ammo, any suggestions of LR accuracy or is it dependent on your rifle. I already know that , but thoughts? Looks like HOrnady is the only one making it so far.

I Think I've narrowed my choice to this cartridge, seems to be to shoot flatter than 300 PRC or WinMag or 6.5 PRC with less recoil than any of them. Looking at a Christensen Arms Mesa Long Range. Will need ammo, any suggestions of LR accuracy or is it dependent on your rifle. I already know that , but thoughts? Looks like HOrnady is the only one making it so far.
    How far are you looking to reliably make impacts? I wouldn't worry to much about how flat it shoots, gravity is a constant. Look at the wind deflection. Also at distance being able to see the splash from a bigger bullet makes a big difference also.

How far are you looking to reliably make impacts? I wouldn't worry to much about how flat it shoots, gravity is a constant. Look at the wind deflection. Also at distance being able to see the splash from a bigger bullet makes a big difference also.
    I want to hit at a mile. Further if it hapens. My 6.5 Manbun is giving out befor a mile. I'd rather get a tool that will do the job easily than tweek one to just make it, so 7mm sounds like the one...should make 2K I think.

I've had a lot of success with 7mm PRC at a mile, think it is a great round for that. As mentioned, the smaller you go in caliber the harder it is to see hits and misses. Pushing much beyond a mile, I like my 300 Norma. Around a mile, my 300 Norma load cuts the wind better by about 1/2 mil than the PRC. Recoil is negligible.

Reactions: Maggot
    I want to hit at a mile. Further if it hapens. My 6.5 Manbun is giving out befor a mile. I'd rather get a tool that will do the job easily than tweek one to just make it, so 7mm sounds like the one...should make 2K I think.
    Oh ya we chatted in that other thread. Ya a 7 PRC will do a mile-2K but a big 30 will do it better. I'd say don't short change yourself but if you are stuck on a 7 the PRC will be fine. For that distance I run a 30 Sherman Mag which is basically a 300 PRC improved, 250 A-tips at 3000fps is hard to beat. (or a 300 Norma)

Oh ya we chatted in that other thread. Ya a 7 PRC will do a mile-2K but a big 30 will do it better. I'd say don't short change yourself but if you are stuck on a 7 the PRC will be fine. For that distance I run a 30 Sherman Mag which is basically a 300 PRC improved, 250 A-tips at 3000fps is hard to beat. (or a 300 Norma)
    Being old and approaching worn out, recoil is a factor. A mile is what I want to do, 2 K would be icing. How is the recoil difference compared 7PRC and 300 PRC or WM?

I'm shooting 190s at 3050 and don't even notice it. Rifle weighs in at 22 or 23lbs. Granted my calibration may be a little off because I've been shooting 300 norma and 375 cheytac lately, but it is by no means what I would call stout.

I've got the loads in some software that gives you recoil energy, I'll look them up in a bit.

About 12-13 ft/lbs on the prc vs 19-20 on my 300 norma. If you are worried about recoil, I'd say the 7mm prc is a fantastic choice for a mile.

You can punch in numbers here to see how it stacks up to a caliber you are used to:

Reactions: lash and Taylorbok
    @Maggot the 7 PRC will do fine, no way in hell it has the same or less recoil as a 6.5 PRC though.

71943470132__F44F9B1C-2A2D-4E4C-9205-448562130780.fullsizerender.jpeg

Reactions: DMP
    Found this which is really informative, but no recoil figures. I know the 7 PRC and 300 PRC are close but the 300 EM is up there.

The 300 will have more recoil for sure. If that's a concern stick with the 7 it will do just fine

What you could do is add weighted blocks to the rifle so the recoil becomes so tame it won't matter. ADM makes 2lb gravity blocks for PRS guns but they come with QD attachments so I can put them on and take them off in no time. They get expensive if you buy a bunch but you can easily fit up to 4 on each side of the rail and 3 on the bottom with room for a bi pod. That way you have a light gun when you want and an extra 22lb added to your gun when you just want to track your shots. makes a 375 cheytac shoot like a 308. Just don't plan on running around with it in that format.

Peterson already makes brass for 7prc. Not sure why it isn't listed on their website. I picked some up about a month ago.

6.5CM will do the mile with handloads, no problem. The key thing is find a bullet with a consistent BC and a load with consistent enough fps to do it. Yes, 7PRC/300PRC/etc will do it easier and when it rains misses will be easier to spot, but 6.5CM will do it no problem.

Reactions: lash and Maggot
    6.5CM will do the mile with handloads, no problem. The key thing is find a bullet with a consistent BC and a load with consistent enough fps to do it. Yes, 7PRC/300PRC/etc will do it easier and when it rains misses will be easier to spot, but 6.5CM will do it no problem.
    I think it also takes a better rifle. Mine is a stock Remington 700. Shoots MOA or better at 1000. No doubt an action job and Bartlein would do it, but I tend to feel its better to have extra than just enough.

Reactions: lash
    I think it also takes a better rifle. Mine is a stock Remington 700. Shoots MOA or better at 1000. No doubt an action job and Bartlein would do it, but I tend to feel its better to have extra than just enough.

Sure. More is better/easier. Heavier bullets are definitely easier to spot misses and higher BC bullets and more powder might mean you stay above transonic. But if you're doing "MOA or better at 1000" it's not the gun that is holding you back. In all honesty, going from 100 to 1000yds is a lot easier than 1000 to 1760 in 6.5CM. Some bullets don't like going transonic. Or they have inconsistent BCs. And even those that do, well you're still talking about more than 2x the flight time and all that wind.

Honest talk: I was where you are. Couldn't do the mile in my RPR/6.5CM. No problems out to 1000yds. Then one day I changed bullet lots and it was like magic. Went from 0/40 to 10/20 over night. Would have done better but the wind kept changing on me.

Are you limited to factory loaded ammo?

On heavy rifles with big brakes recoil is much less of a thing. I’ve got a 17# 300 with a big brake and the felt recoil is not anywhere near even a 30/06 hunting rifle with factory loads.

Are you limited to factory loaded ammo?
    Pretty much. The best I've found for this rifle is Remington 77 grain Match with Sierra bullets. As I'll be 74 in 3 weeks I just dont see myself starting to reload. I see Hornady makes a 147 grain so I might try those.

I want to hit at a mile. Further if it hapens. My 6.5 Manbun is giving out befor a mile.

Pretty much. The best I've found for this rifle is Remington 77 grain Match with Sierra bullets.

The statement in your bottom quote seems a bit confusing or perhaps not worded right.

If you are really recoil sensitive there are a couple things you could do:

1. Spend the money on a good rifle, and a good scope not some cheap factory stock job.

2. Single caliber reloading for 6.5cm would save you time and frustration and money over other options, you could do dedicated shooting of the solid copper bullets and stretch that out a fair bit, and probably be able to hit your mile goal consistently with practice.
    If you were willing to handload, 6.5x284 with solids would be pretty slick for 1 mile shots, but still not be too bad for recoil.

3. Build a 30 pound rifle in a different caliber, heavy stock, heavy barrel, extra weight.
    If you are doing all that, might as well consider .300 PRC and .300NM and 7/300 PRC in addition to your chosen 7PRC

Pretty much. The best I've found for this rifle is Remington 77 grain Match with Sierra bullets. As I'll be 74 in 3 weeks I just dont see myself starting to reload. I see Hornady makes a 147 grain so I might try those.
    I swore up and down for years that I would never start reloading because of time, however I realized I wanted more out of the cartridges I was shooting and could not resist the sleepless nights any longer. Reloading is now an obsession and I have even more sleepless nights, lol, go with the 7 PRC and Hornady 180 ELD and you'll get more out of it. I'm more of a .30 fan, but the 7 PRC is probably the perfect do it all cartridge.

Late to this party. I recently bought a 300prc defiance tenacity MPA BA chassis and started shouting Hornady factory eldm 225s.

Recoil is incredibly mild. Regardless of what theoretical calculated lbs of recoil might indicate, Frank @Lowlight has often said the recoil pulse of the 300 PRC is vastly different from that of the 300 win mag. “Push” vs a “snap” I think.

Reactions: Lowlight
    Late to this party. I recently bought a 300prc defiance tenacity MPA BA chassis and started shouting Hornady factory eldm 225s.

Recoil is incredibly mild. Regardless of what theoretical calculated lbs of recoil might indicate, Frank @Lowlight has often said the recoil pulse of the 300 PRC is vastly different from that of the 300 win mag. “Push” vs a “snap” I think.
    I have both and agree with Frank that it he is correct in the push vs snap.