• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting a .300 WBY

Pierce33

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
Pierce, CO
Just wondering if anyone is shooting a .300 WBY at 1000. Just wondering and seeing the performance your getting

Re: Anyone shooting a .300 WBY

It's a good round definitly capable of shooting 1000 yards. But the double radius case is hard to work with. The Wby builds up a lot of heat, and would not be the best round to shoot multiple rounds at a time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pierce33</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you mean? </div></div>

I mean you cant find really good brass for them. You can get lucky some times but the preping can get real old.

Norma makes the Brass and Remington also makes the Brass. The secret is in the chamber as with many cartridges. You don't want the factory chamber for accuracy. You want to be a little tighter around the belt diameter wise to fit your brass some call it a small base chamber. You want to have the freebore set for a given bullet not like the factory round. But with that type of chamber you may not be able to fire factory loaded ammo due to pressure. If the powder were available in Roys day where he didn't have to lengthen the throat out to get the velocity he wanted with available powders, accuracy perceptions of the 300WBY would be much different. The 300 wby has set many records at 1000yds and may still hold a few. Much of the 1000yd BR crowd appears to be headed to the 300WSM size cases.

I had Dave Kiff @ PT&G make me a reamer last year that works great. The reamer he recommended was a 4 thousands clearance over the neck, .248 fb (w/ .3085 clearance), 1 and a half degree taper. This combination works great. I had some skepticism having undesirable results with two other 300 wby mag reamers (manufacturers other than Dave Kiff)...but Dave practically guaranteed the accuracy since (according to Dave) it was that set up that a lot of the guys that shoot benchrest in PA shoot that configuration.

Tried two different barrels (kreiger 1-10 twist) with two different rifles...the results were great. I get great results with H1000 powder appx 3060 fps w/ SIE 210 gr SMK, Berger 210 gr VLD, 200 gr SGK (hunting). A friend of mine that shoots a 300 wby (same reamer) shoots H1000 w/ 180 SIE SGK @ 3220 fps.

Highly recommend a 300 Wby Mag with Dave's reamer configuration.

The results are great @ 1000 yards but from the looks at the velocity and BC, the Berger 190 VLD might have less wind deflection and drop than the SIE 210's that I play with. Might want to give the 190's a try.