• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting a LMT MWS in 6.5 Creedmoor

Ulfhednar15

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2022
PRNJ
Hi guys. Looking to see if anyone is shooting a LMT MWS in 6.5 Creedmoor. If so, what are the most accurate factory loads? I'm asking because my family bought me the 20" stainless 6.5 bbl for Xmas. They also booked me a long range rifle class for the middle of March. Problem is I find myself with a new bbl in a new rifle, with a new scope that I still need to mount and zero. Combined all that with the fact that we just moved into a new house that is still a construction zone and I have 18 trees on the ground out side from 20-49" in diameter that need to be milled into lumber or cut and split into firewood. All that said, I'm looking to start with a short list of loads to try. The class asks for 250 rounds that will be moa accurate in your gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

140 berger, 130 berger, 140 hornady eldm, Norma 143gr, Norma 130gr are all good factory loads and should work in the semi, though the Berger will typically be quite a bit hotter.

Mine definitely likes white box Hornady especially the 140 or 147 eLDM. Definitely stay away from the Aguila it shot like utter crap for me.

Mine absolutely loved Hornady 140gr and the (then) cheap Win black box Match 140gr (smk I think). Tried, some Fed GMM but given the less-expensive stuff shot just as good, if not better, I stuck with that

Hi guys. Looking to see if anyone is shooting a LMT MWS in 6.5 Creedmoor. If so, what are the most accurate factory loads? I'm asking because my family bought me the 20" stainless 6.5 bbl for Xmas. They also booked me a long range rifle class for the middle of March. Problem is I find myself with a new bbl in a new rifle, with a new scope that I still need to mount and zero. Combined all that with the fact that we just moved into a new house that is still a construction zone and I have 18 trees on the ground out side from 20-49" in diameter that need to be milled into lumber or cut and split into firewood. All that said, I'm looking to start with a short list of loads to try. The class asks for 250 rounds that will be moa accurate in your gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I teach a bunch of classes and we are having great results through that exact rifle with Hornady new military 147 grain load

Everyone, thank you for the replies. I was thinking right off the bat to check out the Federal Gold Medal line. Hornady match (black) shoots great in my Grendel, so I'll try that.
Mike- had not heard of the "Military" load from Hornady, but will check it out.

Was looking at the actual Berger ammo because I read it was in Lapua brass. Can anyone confirm that? I'm looking to pick up a set of dies to start reloading, and Lapua brass is always a good place to start.

Hornady American Gunner 140gr shoots well out of my 24" LMT S barrel.

I'm running a 24" LMT MWS 6.5 and of the <100 rounds I've run through it she seems to be shooting 1" or less at 100 yards using Horady 140gr American Gunner ammo. So far it's been all I've ran through it so I can't give any suggestions on other ammo.

Everyone, thank you for the replies. I was thinking right off the bat to check out the Federal Gold Medal line. Hornady match (black) shoots great in my Grendel, so I'll try that.
Mike- had not heard of the "Military" load from Hornady, but will check it out.

Was looking at the actual Berger ammo because I read it was in Lapua brass. Can anyone confirm that? I'm looking to pick up a set of dies to start reloading, and Lapua brass is always a good place to start.
Yes, the Berger I have shot and have seen was loaded in Lapua brass.

140gr ELDM. 130 Berger shoots like ass in mine.

365323160_10130582417432204_7906366177554924036_n.jpg

I am running a new 20"ss 6.5cm on my MWS. So far I have 242 rounds through it. I am getting MOA at 100m and hitting a 5" plate at 500m with 127gr Barnes VOT-TX LR. That's as far as I have taken this barrel so far.

Hornady 6.5 CM 120gr ELD-M comes up 2nd in terms of factory loads it likes. This barrel seems to prefer the lighter rounds over the heavier.

Wish I had snagged that 24" LMT 6.5CM barrel I saw on the Hide awhile back but the 20" is no slouch. Really like how it is shooting.

HTH

20” ss 6.5CM on my MWS does very well with Hornady 120 gr CX Superformance. It has a slight edge over Hornady 143 gr ELDX Precision Hunter.

All the factory Hornady 130-140-147 ELD have shot MOA out of my gun. I feel like a bunch of ammo will shoot MOA, but Jesus the price is gross. Good luck getting your reloading up to speed.

PB

Haven't tried a wide range of ammo or got dies yet, but Hornady American gunner 130gr HPBT shoot phenomenonally well.

Reactions: Ichi
Haven't tried a wide range of ammo or got dies yet, but Hornady American gunner 130gr HPBT shoot phenomenonally well.
I ran the 140 grain Am Gunner and it shot well but it jammed in my MWS a lot. Maybe 1 or 2 rounds every mag of 10 or 15 rounds. I loved that ammo when it was very cheap to buy. It still ran ok in my Bergara.

PB

I ran the 140 grain Am Gunner and it shot well but it jammed in my MWS a lot. Maybe 1 or 2 rounds every mag of 10 or 15 rounds. I loved that ammo when it was very cheap to buy. It still ran ok in my Bergara.

PB
Intersting,

Been overseas for the past couple years and havent had to restock... Might just be time to get a set off dies work up a load.

Just ordered one. Looks like Hornady 140 ELD-M’s are the answer. Excited to jump back into the LMT platform. I’ve had a 308 MWS, sold it, and regretted it ever since. Looking forward giving the creed a whirl.

Reactions: Pappasniper
Installed a 0.086 Black River Tactical EZTune gas tube in my 24" factory LMT SS barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, unsuppressed. No issues cycling with a 3.0 oz carbine buffer and the factory LMT buffer spring. Ammo is Hornady American Gunner 140gr HPBT. Cases eject at 4 o'clock and land about 6 feet away. The last round ejects at 3 o'clock due to no upward pressure on the BCG from the empty magazine.

BRT originally sent me a 0.078 gas tube, but the rifle would not cycle properly. They shipped me the 0.086 tube at no cost and a prepaid return label for the 0.078 tube.

Here's the factory LMT gas tube compared to the 0.078 BRT gas tube.

1705985601391.png

Originally I used a 8.5 XH carbine buffer and 308 spring from Heavy Buffers. The XH buffer works well to tame the MWS, but it does add a lot of reciprocating mass. The BRT tube and the 3.0 oz buffer operates a lot smoother and there less induced forward movement when the BCG closes.

I have BRT tubes in my MWS guns. You can get them to run any way you want. Mine still have plenty of umph running suppressors and a little sluggish without a can. But will run. This is exactly what I wanted. Sounds like Ichi found his sweet spot. It’s pretty cool.
Ichi that pictures is cool and very telling.
PB

Installed a 0.086 Black River Tactical EZTune gas tube in my 24" factory LMT SS barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, unsuppressed. No issues cycling with a 3.0 oz carbine buffer and the factory LMT buffer spring. Ammo is Hornady American Gunner 140gr HPBT. Cases eject at 4 o'clock and land about 6 feet away. The last round ejects at 3 o'clock due to no upward pressure on the BCG from the empty magazine.

BRT originally sent me a 0.078 gas tube, but the rifle would not cycle properly. They shipped me the 0.086 tube at no cost and a prepaid return label for the 0.078 tube.

Here's the factory LMT gas tube compared to the 0.078 BRT gas tube.

View attachment 8330517

Originally I used a 8.5 XH carbine buffer and 308 spring from Heavy Buffers. The XH buffer works well to tame the MWS, but it does add a lot of reciprocating mass. The BRT tube and the 3.0 oz buffer operates a lot smoother and there less induced forward movement when the BCG closes.
So are you us8ng a standar carbine H1 buffer? I have the 18" creedmoor and it has an h3 buffer in it and its snappy

So are you us8ng a standar carbine H1 buffer? I have the 18" creedmoor and it has an h3 buffer in it and its snappy
I'm using a 3 ounce T1 Spikes Tactical Tungsten Buffer with the 0.086 Black River Tactical EZTune gas tube in my 24" factory LMT SS barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor, unsuppressed.

Not a strictly standard buffer since it uses powdered tungsten instead of the standard 3 individual solid pellets/weights.

How do you like the 24" barrel. I've looked for a long time for one

How do you like the 24" barrel. I've looked for a long time for one
I'm happy with the LMT SS 24" barrel. But that is what the rifle came with and I don't really have anything else to compare it to in 6.5 CM chambering for a heavy autoloader. My 308 LMT barrel is SS 20" and it seems to be just as accurate.

I believe that LMT stopped making the SS 24" 6.5 CM barrel. You would probably need to have a custom barrel made and then have it converted for the LMT MWS, if you're set on a 24" barrel.

I have a L129A2 so it came with the 18". I like the length for manuverability but was thinking the 24 if I wanted purely elr. I have a TT 525P on top of it that works great, with that glass I can reach out further than the current config can.

I have a L129A2 so it came with the 18". I like the length for manuverability but was thinking the 24 if I wanted purely elr. I have a TT 525P on top of it that works great, with that glass I can reach out further than the current config can.
Might have a 6.5CM 24” I’d move…