• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

anyone shooting Remington 260?

jinxx4ever

Just Cruising
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 26, 2013
    Nebraska
    i've have a bartlein M24 blank .264 and an impact SA with nothing attached. I've have both a standard and mag bolt for it. Both have been laying around collecting dust. Thinking of going 260 as i don't need another 6.5CM as i have 2 now and a 6.5SS. Tried doing a seach on here, but didn't find anything. I've got some brass and dies i picked up recently , plenty of bullets and powder to load. Is it worth wasting money on chambering a barrel for. I was thinking a couple years ago it was a hot commodity, but haven't seem much lately. I'm sure resale would b better with a chambered 6.5CM. I'm sending a 6CM barrel to DS Tatical to get threaded, and figured i'd send this along and save some shipping cost. They did a chamber job for me recently for the 6.5SS and did a heck of good job. Thoughts? Thanks

Stay with CM. I have 2-260’s. Great rifles and I love 260. CM ammo more availibility, brass easily availible. Used brass everywhere. Velocity basically same. I think 260 is the superior cartridge , but marginally. 6.5x47 is more inherently accurate, and the 6.5x55 has more horsepower. I love my 260’s

Makes zero sense to me...
    The .260 and 6.5 Creed are ballistic twins. You'd be building your 3rd of the same.
    I must be missing something?
    This

Also there is a 260 Master Race club, but even Sensei Lowlight says "get the 6.5 Creed" and he's founding club member.
    Also your search-fu must be very very bad.

This

Also there is a 260 Master Race club, but even Sensei Lowlight says "get the 6.5 Creed" and he's founding club member.
    Also your search-fu must be very very bad.
    yea it is, when i do bring up something and click on it, i get a page that says "unavailable" I haven't been able to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

so basically it's about the same as 6CM. Doesn't really matter what u chamber in, 6Cm, 6BR, 6 dasher, etc, they're all about the same

188DFCD6-7684-4106-ADF8-CC27EA99BAF9.jpeg

I know I want a .260 Remington at the end of the day that’s for you to decide and if that’s what you want I say go for it! It’s just money right lol

I’ve been running the 260 for 7-8 years and love the caliber. Mines on the slow side but shit is it accurate

Reactions: PDXGS and hseII
    You got 6.5 brass and reloading equipment. In this time of finding stuff why not stick with what you know. You won't see any difference in accuracy with a .260. Maybe a few fps more velocity but we all know velocity isn't everything. So if buying all new stuff and 50fps is worth it go .260. If not then stick with 6.5 Creedmoor.

The 260 is very, very close to the 6.5-284

140's at 2900 fps and 123's over 3000 !

It's been a long while since I've had a 260 Remington (which had a 28" barrel) and I don't recall speeds that high.

How long does your brass last?

Very close to a 6.5-284? I guess if you load the -284 to the bottom of the range it is.....

I also can’t hit that without pressure. I run the 140’s closer to the 2850 range. I’ve actually seen better velocities from the 6.5 creed on 2 rifles. Im assuming the sharper shoulder might hand the pressure better. I kNow they are both up there on pressure but neither are showing signs like my 260 does.

You got 6.5 brass and reloading equipment. In this time of finding stuff why not stick with what you know. You won't see any difference in accuracy with a .260. Maybe a few fps more velocity but we all know velocity isn't everything. So if buying all new stuff and 50fps is worth it go .260. If not then stick with 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Exactly, I rebarreled my 30-06, that I was getting peak performance out of with Berger 168 Vld hunting bullets, to a .280 Ackley.

Had I forseen the current state of components, I would have thought twice. Until recently there was only one brass maker for 280AI. Now there are two but it’s like trying to find unicorn droppings. Even then, they think they are selling gold nuggets. Also 7 mm hunting bullets have been extremely hard to find, while 30 cal are more available. Seems I spend a portion of every day scouring the net for components.

If you want a specialty tool like a LE Wilson case guage you are out of luck. They don’t make one for the 280AI and have no plans to. My favorite seater company, Forster, does not make a 280AI seater. The redding one was hard to find and much more expensive. Companies are less likely to wade into less popular waters right now due to high demand, employee and supply chain issues. Even reloading data is less available. Few books even list the cartridge. Newer ones are starting to.

I love my 280AI but it is PIA components-wise right now.

^^^

I only see one advantage in 6.5 creed and thats in a gas gun.
    In the games who shoots a 6.5 cm?
    The 6's dominate that world.
    So for hunting purposes 260 all the way unless you don't reload.
    Then you open up a whole other debate as to why run a 260 when you can step up to a short action magnum?

Reactions: hseII
    I chose .260 Remington just before the 6.5 Creedmoor took off and dominated the market. I don't regret my decision and have three rifles chambered for it. It's my favorite cartridge, bar none.

However, I could not recommend someone who has two 6.5 Creedmoors to take on the .260 Rem as a third 6.5 rifle. Logically, that makes no sense, but if you just want to, have at it. It's a free country and guns are cool.

Now that I type that, I have no fewer than five .30 calibers that do nearly the same thing. Go figure. If I only had more time to shoot them all.

AG

Last edited:
    I shot a 260 for 20ish years, it was my primary deer rifle. Never fell in love with it, just liked it because at the time they weren’t too common (around here anyway). My current 6.5 is a x47. I much prefer it to the 260. Can’t see the benefit of a 260 over x47 or 6.5CM when you have a CM and 6.5SS already. I’d build another 6.5SS or go 260AI for something different.

I shot a 260 for 20ish years, it was my primary deer rifle. Never fell in love with it, just liked it because at the time they weren’t too common (around here anyway). My current 6.5 is a x47. I much prefer it to the 260. Can’t see the benefit of a 260 over x47 or 6.5CM when you have a CM and 6.5SS already. I’d build another 6.5SS or go 260AI for something different.
    6.5SS is what i'm kinda leaning towards after reading the comments. Decided to sell the blank and put that money towards a CF barrel to get rid of some weight. I really like the 6.5SS i'm shooting now and plan on using it in NRL Hunter this next year but wouldn't mind shedding some lbs and having a 12lb rifle.

Reactions: Guns&WhiteWater
    6.5SS is what i'm kinda leaning towards after reading the comments. Decided to sell the blank and put that money towards a CF barrel to get rid of some weight. I really like the 6.5SS i'm shooting now and plan on using it in NRL Hunter this next year but wouldn't mind shedding some lbs and having a 12lb rifle.
    That’s what I plan to build, one day. Money is getting harder to come by these days.

I don't worry about the brass.
    It's the cheapest component in my reloading experience.
    Cheaper than primers in these times lol.

You're very likely playing with stupidly high pressures, for what?

It's your face, but make sure you don't involve others in the "here's your sign"moment.

In the games who shoots a 6.5 cm?
    The 6's dominate that world.
    So for hunting purposes 260 all the way unless you don't reload.
    I shoot a 6.5 for the games. Because it works for that, and knocking deer and hogs on their ass.

When i miss in a match, its not because I'm shooting a 6.5. Casual match shooting, 6.5 is fine. Dedicated match gun, yeah consider a baby 6.

yea it is, when i do bring up something and click on it, i get a page that says "unavailable" I haven't been able to figure out what i'm doing wrong.

There's a whole thread about this too. You're using a search engine that doesn't work with the site, use Google.

The 260 rem was it but Remington was to ignorant to build their rifles in 1:8 twist so it lagged.

No, Remington was ignorant to build 700s and XP100Rs with 1:9 twist. Remington has never supported anything, such as .280, .260, and 6.8SPC.

Reactions: hseII
    I've been shooting 260 since way before the CM was invented, and now 260AI. Awesome cartridges, and I see no reason to ever build a different medium capacity 6.5 now that I am invested in brass and dies. My 28" 260AI pushes 140s right around 2925 with H4831. It is not a 6.5-284 twin, but a hell of a cartridge nonetheless.

That being said, I would go PRC or Dasher if I were you. Just not enough difference between 260 and what you already have. Unless you just want a 260. Nothing wrong with that.

I’ve been shooting 260 for years, upgraded to 260AI , it hits a little harder and a little more range.

I built a 260 Rem years ago & it was an amazing round. Bought a 6.5 cm barrel & replaced the 260 rem., not happy with the change. The 6.5 cm I had a lot of problems, that I didn't have with the 260 rem.. Love the 260 rem., but got the problems worked out on the 6.5 cm. 260 rem. is a wonderful cartridge, but 6.5 cm brass is easier to find. Still think the 260 rem. is a great choice. Thank You & Good Luck

I love my 260, been shooting one since before the Creedmore was a glint in anyone’s eye. But since you have the Creedmore try a 260 AI. Wonderful performance and easy to work with.

You're very likely playing with stupidly high pressures, for what?

It's your face, but make sure you don't involve others in the "here's your sign"moment.
    I was only replying about 'hard on brass' comment.
    So to clarify I didn't put out charge wt.
    But I am shooting a 26" barrel with a long throat. COAL 2.95 mag fed with berger 140's
    Primer pockets tell me when to shit can the brass.
    2850 is average but I have pushed 2900
    DISCLAIMER:
    I'm NOT advocating this for anyone!

I was only replying about 'hard on brass' comment.
    So to clarify I didn't put out charge wt.
    But I am shooting a 26" barrel with a long throat. COAL 2.95 mag fed with berger 140's
    Primer pockets tell me when to shit can the brass.
    2850 is average but I have pushed 2900
    DISCLAIMER:
    I'm NOT advocating this for anyone!

My 260 Remington reloading experience comes from a rifle similar but with an even longer (28") barrel.

Primer pockets are not a reliable indicator of pressure. Velocity is.

Do whatever you want, but I hope no one takes your example as one to follow or an example of what should be possible.

Reactions: GONE BAD