• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone shooting the Bison Tactical rim-x?

chevy_man

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2019
    Looking at this: https://www.bisontactical.com/rimx-22lr-barrel-and-action-2/

I'm thinking an 18" benchmark. I have some 6mm benchmarks that are hammers, figured why change?

Have a mask hd in jail, so I may do 22" but 18" is looking better.

But I know with 22s the reamer is key. So anyone shooting one with his reamer I'd love to see some results.

Thinking it'll get finished off with a tac-sport pro-x (already have 3 b&a, love them). A tango 6 from the px, and dropped into a krg bravo. (Still the best chassis I've ever held in the cold).

You will not be disappointed in that barrel. A well known QUALITY smith spins those up for Fred. His barrels and chambers have won many NRL22 titles and a WORLD title. The barrel MFG is the only difference.

Jonathan Elrod at Modacam Custom Rifles does the Bison barrels. I've met him, worked with him on an irksome RimX barrel I acquired elsewhere (he squared it away), and used that RImX for a monthly club match this season. He's a good guy. If I had known about him when I decided to do my RimX build late last year, I would have used one of his barrels. And knowing what I know now, it would be a Bartlein (because I have several of them, and the new one on my Vudoo is a laser) or Krieger (because Jonathan likes them). I have no experience with Benchmark.

It's a bit curious to me how all this "reamer is key" narrative has grown in our .22 world... to me, that's like saying one tire brand or another is "key" for race car performance. As I learned on my RimX journey, the skill of the smith using the reamer is vastly more important than the reamer itself.

It's a bit curious to me how all this "reamer is key" narrative has grown in our .22 world... to me, that's like saying one tire brand or another is "key" for race car performance. As I learned on my RimX journey, the skill of the smith using the reamer is vastly more important than the reamer itself.

It seems that there are some chamber designs that are more forgiving of ammo selection. And with 22s there are about 50 designs to choose from.

Then you have the guys like padom on here that dream up their own (his is available through keystone iirc).

Just would be good to see more than the 2 test targets they have posted.

It seems that there are some chamber designs that are more forgiving of ammo selection. And with 22s there are about 50 designs to choose from.

Then you have the guys like padom on here that dream up their own (his is available through keystone iirc).

Just would be good to see more than the 2 test targets they have posted.
    Gotcha. I've sold a few of my rifles over time as I reached points where I just wanted to try something new... Fortunately, they sold by word of mouth locally and the buyers could actually shoot the rifles before committing. That's what's happening with my RimX now... I built it, got it shooting right (long-ish story on barrel), and decided I like my Vudoo-rebarreled gen-1 Vudoo better. The gentleman considering the rifle got to shoot it in a match setting Sunday... I'll meet him again if he wants....

Point is, I agree wholeheartedly that prospective buyers should look for more than a couple of test targets.